Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Strayer Challenge Exams
Also, the lady told me that all exams are now a minimum passing score of 70% not 80% as of October 2014.
If you think they're too expensive then that's fair enough; like you I don't recommend schools that are costly when less expensive equivalents are available. And I took courses there, but finished elsewhere, and cost was a big reason. But there's a difference between that position, which is defensible, and referring to them as "predatory", which is not.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
SteveFoerster Wrote:If you think they're too expensive then that's fair enough; like you I don't recommend schools that are costly when less expensive equivalents are available. And I took courses there, but finished elsewhere, and cost was a big reason. But there's a difference between that position, which is defensible, and referring to them as "predatory", which is not.

They hunt students such as military (who have access to particular pools of federal money), and less prepared students ((one might argue this is the students fault I guess) who are promised funding and other assistance. They then deliver high drop out rates and severe debt. They are cut from the same cloth as Corinthian and UofP. I'll stick with "predatory", I think it describes their practice. They are roundly lauded as "better then UofP" so I guess there's that! I'm glad you made it out in tact, many students don't appear to have been so lucky.

Here US News infers that Strayer follows "predatory" practices For-Profit Colleges Must Crack Down on Predatory Practices - US News " This has become big business. Taxpayer money has lined the pockets of millionaires—the top executives of the top 15 for-profit colleges pulled in $2 billion last year. The president of Strayer University was awarded a package of $41.9 million"

Still...if these challenge exams hold up they would seem an interesting alternative/augment to other CBE.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
One more for you: Predatory For-Profit Colleges Pay Executives Based On Corporate Profitability, Not Student Outcomes | ThinkProgress

"As ThinkProgress has documented, predatory for-profit schools rely heavily on taxpayer dollars to produce revenue, yet leave many of their students buried in debt and without the education necessary to find a good job. They engage in aggressive marketing tactics, promising students employment opportunities that never materialize.

Meanwhile, CEOs of for-profit colleges make 26 times more in compensation than the heads of traditional universities. For instance, Strayer University CEO Robert Silberman was paid $41.9 million in 2009. (HT: Chris Kirkham)"

Again, I am a capitalist, no issue with these guys making money....my problem is with a business model that bilks taxpayers while providing a questionable product.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Strayer is overpriced with very little professor interaction online, for the single course I took with them. Their system crashed on my final exam at the last question and they didn't appear to care. It was down to the professor to make the decision which he decided that I didn't warrant a resit or be able to take the final question. In the end I nudged over the A grade with a few points to spare but at the time I was so livid at them that I wouldn't take another course with them unless it was free.
They call my phone about six times per week and although they've been told not to call they continue to call my cell and landline to see if they can enroll me in their MBA program even though I don't have my BA. Money spinner for the owners for sure obviously its an issue of buyer beware!
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
EI2HCB Wrote:Strayer is overpriced with very little professor interaction online, for the single course I took with them. Their system crashed on my final exam at the last question and they didn't appear to care. It was down to the professor to make the decision which he decided that I didn't warrant a resit or be able to take the final question. In the end I nudged over the A grade with a few points to spare but at the time I was so livid at them that I wouldn't take another course with them unless it was free.
They call my phone about six times per week and although they've been told not to call they continue to call my cell and landline to see if they can enroll me in their MBA program even though I don't have my BA. Money spinner for the owners for sure obviously its an issue of buyer beware!

Oh, wow. You can always file a complaint with the FTC if they don't stop calling after you've requested them to stop. Are you in the U.S. now?
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Well, I've long since given up expecting sense from articles about higher education in the mainstream press, nor do I have any interest in sites like ThinkProgress whose contributors are blinded by anti-profit ideology. But I do agree that Strayer is too expensive to recommend when there are alternatives just as good for a fraction of the cost, so I suppose we agree on what actually matters here.

In my specific case, at the time Strayer offered me a very large amount of transfer credit for an IT certification, which meant that even though their courses were expensive I'd have needed to take ten fewer of them and it would more or less balance out. But then I found Charter Oak State College, and the rest was history.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
Just an update.

Strayer Challenge exams are now $20. You need to be a Strayer student to take them. They test book knowledge of the text that is stated in the Course Study. I have taken three exams and passed all three. They definitely are not easy, but for $60 I got 9 credits in upper level accounting. I am studying for the FAR CPA exam and ACC 303-305 align very well with that of the FAR study guide. Good way to test out of upper level accounting credit if you are short hours to sit for the exam. You would obviously want to make sure that your state's board would accept credit by exam prior to taking this route.
I just contacted Strayer via Chat, about this. I asked if I could enroll ($50 application fee) and then immediately take Challenge Courses? They said yes! I would like a couple more people to find out about this. Because they have a bunch of upper level courses that I need to complete a HR degree, and my husband to get his IT degree.

The $20 fee is paid to ProctorU directly, and is the only fee (so far) that I can see that you need to pay. Not sure about course materials/book to study with. I asked, she said they have a list of books, but didn't give me any additional info. So I need to find out about that.

If anyone else goes on to find info, please put it on this thread!

Thanks.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I have yet to enroll in a class and have only paid the $50 enrollment fee and had 3 tests posted to my transcript. I was told by 2 enrollment counselors that I had to be a strayer student though. I had to fight for those 3 classes getting posted though and kept getting the "credits have yet to post because you have yet to become a formal strayer student". I told them i needed them to post as they were prerequisites and it finally worked.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 377 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,834 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Anybody taken any certification exams (CPA, CIA, CFE, etc.)? kevinmane 9 2,420 08-21-2022, 11:19 PM
Last Post: lisarox
Information New Batch of Microsoft Exams are now ACE(data, cloud, cs, UL) MNomadic 5 1,410 04-05-2022, 04:56 AM
Last Post: jch
  Cambridge International Exams - A Level or AS Level exams Lydclrk 1 727 09-17-2021, 06:07 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Exclamation Is Sophia similar to Study in terms of course format and allow Open Book exams? OP88 4 1,342 05-26-2021, 05:29 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Applied to Strayer University - FREE Winter term! bjcheung77 14 2,638 11-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Last Post: ylmir
  Pearson OnVUE - Online Excelsior Exams bjcheung77 5 1,362 09-23-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Does your community college offer challenge exams? muu9 2 1,012 07-19-2020, 04:21 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Course hero membership... Worth it for SL final exams? onmygo 2 3,914 03-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4