Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Comp II question (I did search & don't see an answer)
When I went to college the first time 20+ years ago I took English Comp I & English Comp II.
I had no real concept at the time of the value of credits, I just took whatever my advisor told me to, lol.

Fast forward to now. My English Comp II (Research Writing) turns out to be worth a measly 2 credits. I feel that the system is a bit unfairly determined because it took umpteen hours each week and I feel was much more difficult than the Comp I that was worth 3 credits. Anyhoo.

All the colleges I have applied to, including TESC, want 6 credits total for English (I have 5). Anyone have suggestions for getting that last 1 credit of English?
Is that even possible? Or should I just count my past class as good experience but not worth anything and take the SL course to get the 3 credits?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:When I went to college the first time 20+ years ago I took English Comp I & English Comp II.
I had no real concept at the time of the value of credits, I just took whatever my advisor told me to, lol.

Fast forward to now. My English Comp II (Research Writing) turns out to be worth a measly 2 credits. I feel that the system is a bit unfairly determined because it took umpteen hours each week and I feel was much more difficult than the Comp I that was worth 3 credits. Anyhoo.

All the colleges I have applied to, including TESC, want 6 credits total for English (I have 5). Anyone have suggestions for getting that last 1 credit of English?
Is that even possible? Or should I just count my past class as good experience but not worth anything and take the SL course to get the 3 credits?

I feel like TESC might give you a waiver for that, won't hurt to ask. However, if they don't there could be a bright side to it. You need 24 TESC residency credits, right? For me that was an easy TECEP, message me if you want some feed back on that test.
CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology- COMPLETE
TESC AS - General Managment-COMPLETE
TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems-COMPLETE
WGU MBA IT -COMPLETE
You might be able take either a CLEP or TECEP to get 6 hours (or whatever it is) of English composition credit. If you are early in the process of getting a degree from TESC, you would be better off taking a TECEP instead of a CLEP whenever there is a choice of exam vendors for any given subject. CLEPs don't count towards TESC residency, TECEPs do. Establishing residency at TESC makes it far more affordable.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Thank you both!

I think I'll see if they will waive the requirement for that 1 credit, if not I may go with the TECEP idea. I was also thinking of doing PLAs for residency since I have quite a bit of life experience that I think will match up well with course catalogs.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
FWIW COSC will accept the DSST Technical Writing as English Comp 2.

With recent changes to the value of CLEP I'm not sure if TESC would accept that as 6 credits(comp 1 and 2) or simply see it as a duplicate of Comp 1 at only three credits.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:FWIW COSC will accept the DSST Technical Writing as English Comp 2.

With recent changes to the value of CLEP I'm not sure if TESC would accept that as 6 credits(comp 1 and 2) or simply see it as a duplicate of Comp 1 at only three credits.

That's a good point about duplicate credits. I am currently enrolled in a 2000-level Technical Writing class at the local CC. I think it'll transfer in as LL credits, and was planning to use for Gen Ed or wherever they applied it, but maybe it could be used as English credits?
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

TESC requires English Comp I and II specifically, and won't count anything else towards those courses (like Tech Writing). All cc classes count as LL. Tech Writing is an English course, and counts as Humanities.

Your best bet is to request a waiver. Otherwise, you will have to retake English Comp II (or the TECEP). But it certainly can't hurt to request (and even fight for) the waiver.

I will be trying to get a waiver for Ethics myself, as I just got the free 2-cr course for insurance. Crossing my fingers.

Please keep us posted!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Mamasaphire Wrote:That's a good point about duplicate credits. I am currently enrolled in a 2000-level Technical Writing class at the local CC. I think it'll transfer in as LL credits, and was planning to use for Gen Ed or wherever they applied it, but maybe it could be used as English credits?
It would likely count at COSC, but almost certainly not at TESC. One course is no reason to change ships though...why not just bust through Straighterline Comp 2?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
dfrecore Wrote:I will be trying to get a waiver for Ethics myself, as I just got the free 2-cr course for insurance. Crossing my fingers.
Please keep us posted!
I will, and am very interested in what you find out with the CPCU Ethics course as I took it as well.

rebel100 Wrote:One course is no reason to change ships though...why not just bust through Straighterline Comp 2?
I may... I am liking the SL format. It looked like quite a bit of tests for that SL course though, so I'll try the waiver route first.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,184 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,351 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,248 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  77 Online credit courses in English from Germany - from €16/ECTS FrHaseKopf 19 6,786 04-22-2023, 01:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Comp 2 umpi yourpace Mike Williams 3 718 01-01-2023, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 619 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 773 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 550 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 739 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,206 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling