Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Ph.D coming to University of the People
There is discussion among the instructors now about a potential of a Ph.D program on the horizon at the University of the People. Talk about how this would work, if it would bolster favor for the WASC overview, etc.
Just wanted to drop that bit here in case people were wondering about potential new things coming to the college.
Personally I wish they'd expand their current offerings in the bachelor and Master's fields first, but this is the idle chatter going about the groups.
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - May 2025
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

DEAC does not allow PhDs, perhaps you meant doctorate more generically?
(07-09-2023, 05:48 PM)siersema Wrote: DEAC does not allow PhDs, perhaps you meant doctorate more generically?

I think DEAC had a pilot program for allowing PhDs, but I don't think University of the People is prepared to offer one with their volunteer instructional staff. A professional doctorate might be better.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • StoicJ
They're not ready for a Doctorate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eLearner's post:
  • ss20ts
Goodbye old way of writing dissertations where the candidate constantly makes changes to satisfy their committee. Hello new way of writing dissertations where the candidate constantly makes changes to satisfy UoPeople's peer assessment system!
[-] The following 3 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • debrag, elcastor21, Vle045
The Ph.D was specifically mentioned in the discussion I saw. Many stated the same, that the college wasn't ready and that it would be a disservice to those with a Ph.D and that the school should consider other professional doctorates first. If I hear anything else about it I'll post, but that's all I heard through the rumor mill at the moment. It's conjecture, but there are roughly two dozen instructors at the minimum in the chat talking about it.
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

Are you an instructor TINASAM? I am curious what the requirements are to be an instructor. Do you have to have a Masters degree or teaching experience?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-09-2023, 09:30 PM)Vle045 Wrote: Are you an instructor TINASAM?  I am curious what the requirements are to be an instructor.  Do you have to have a Masters degree or teaching experience?

I have about six years of experience and two separate ESL certifications that allow me to teach English there. After my graduate degrees are done I will be in different sections there and will also be in a community college. As far as I'm aware, graduate degrees are needed or to be a graduate student with over 120 hours of ESL certification + teaching experience is the requirements.
Right now it seems that they aren't hiring very many instructors as many of us are only doing one class instead of two.
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • Vle045
(07-09-2023, 06:19 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-09-2023, 05:48 PM)siersema Wrote: DEAC does not allow PhDs, perhaps you meant doctorate more generically?

I think DEAC had a pilot program for allowing PhDs, but I don't think University of the People is prepared to offer one with their volunteer instructional staff. A professional doctorate might be better.
Thanks, I wasn’t aware.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
They are so not ready. Their HR department couldn't even read a transcript I sent them from a RA university...
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 113 16,887 04-25-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 342 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 772 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 2,050 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,272 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 528 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,453 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 393 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,792 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 711 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger