Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread
Star 
As I stated in this thread a couple weeks ago, I was really tempted by the NWCU School of Law online law degree...  I finally gave in and I'm going for it. I officially enrolled and my start date is Feb 10th.

After finishing my 3rd Bachelors in Nov, it's been a little boring... so I decided to torture myself and make things very difficult for myself by jumping into law school... what could go wrong?  Tongue

As I stated in the other thread, on these forums I've been very critical of the California state bar-unaccredited online law schools, but with the moves Cal Bar has made over the past few years to start allowing online/distance schools to become accredited, and therefore waiving the baby bar and giving an incentive for these schools to maintain higher bar passage rates (or risk losing accreditation), things seems to be moving in a very interesting direction. These online CalBar schools certainly aren't the best option for those wanting to practice law, but there's definitely a place for them for certain situations. 

For me personally, here are some cons/pros:

CONS
  • No ABA programmatic accreditation, only Cal State Bar accreditation
  • Due to the above point, very limited ability to practice outside of CA -- though I don't plan on leaving CA.
  • No regional or national institutional accreditation, just State Bar programmatic accreditation.
  • Due to above point, virtually no ability to teach with the degree (if I wanted to take that path)
  • Also due to the above point, not eligible for tax benefits related to education spending, nor my employer's tuition reimbursement plan
  • It's a four year program with no way to accelerate, which is a huge time commitment. 
  • The school's student retention rate past year 1 is terrible
  • Rough post-degree job results
  • Opportunity cost: If another degree program comes along that really grabs me (particularly a doctorate program), I wouldn't be able to balance out a JD and another doctoral program, presumably

PROS
  • Despite not being eligible for employer reimbursement, tuition is super affordable for a grad/law degree, at under $4k/year
  • Fairly solid bar passage rates
  • If I finish within and pass the bar within the next 5 years or so, I'll be a lawyer at about the same age my Grandmother became a lawyer, who also got her JD in her middle-aged years, also from a Cal-Bar only (but in-person) school.
  • Self-paced terms -- Terms are a year long each with specific courses assigned each year, but you figure out your own schedule for that year as long as everything is completed by year end (though finishing early does not allow you to start the next year any sooner, unfortunately).
  • Even if I don't become a practicing lawyer (I likely won't) or pass the bar (I hopefully will!), a JD degree will be relevant to a lot of my current work, which involves a lot of policy and compliance issues 
  • I have a lot of family and friends in the legal world, I'll have a lot of support
Obviously that's my personal list, so it doesn't apply broadly. Just some things I thought about. I'm sure I'm leaving a lot out.

I'm already on the student slack, and was surprised to learn someone I knew from some of my Georgia Tech courses is in the program and close to finishing! 

I'm looking forward to starting on 2/10, but also a little anxious about what I've gotten myself into. Here's to an interesting 4 years (I hope...)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 17 users Like jsd's post:
  • acamp, collegecareerstudent, davewill, frankc, Ideas, jch, Jonathan Whatley, KSoul, Leedeedee, Life_One, lumina, MFG, Nemfis, novadar, Pikachu, staceydiane, withrown
Congratulations! Also, 4 years flies by if you're 40+. My expected 18 months helping out my parents is now rolling past 50 months and I'll be lucky to leave by the 5 years mark if my mom's last/next 2 surgeries go well.

But can you clarify that admission to this law school only requires passing scores on 5 cleps?
(02-02-2023, 02:45 PM)Sparklette Wrote: But can you clarify that admission to this law school only requires passing scores on 5 cleps?

For these California-only schools, you can apply for "special student" status if you do not have a degree. Here are the CLEP admissions criteria:

Quote:5. Passing score on the College Composition CLEP exam, plus passing scores on:
  • (a) two additional CLEP exams each of which is recommended for at least 6 credits; or
  • (b) four additional CLEP exams each of which is recommended for at least 3 units; or
  • (c) three additional CLEP exams, one of which is of which is recommended for at least 6 units and two of which are recommended for at least 3 units.

So it's 3 to 5 CLEPs depending on the mix you use.

However, I would definitely not recommend this path -- the California Baby Bar (FYLSE) is required for Special Student status, and pass rates are abysmal, not matter what school you're in. Also, in general one should know what they're capable of as far as academics before diving into a commitment like law school. I don't think a handful of CLEPs is a fair indicator of your readiness for an advanced degree if that's the only metric you have. Situations like this presumably explain a lot of the first year retention problems for the school.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • Pikachu
Congrats jsd on getting in!  I actually looked at them too because of their pricing and knowing that some students are fellow members kind of gave me a little peace of mind...  Even though it's going to be out of pocket for most students (including me - if I decide on them soon), I think the price is right, there is ROI/Value in learning at any price.

In regards to the 5 CLEPs and entry requirements, exactly what jsd mentioned... In addition, I wouldn't shoot for the minimum requirements, I would make sure to get a Bachelors first and within the free electives of the Bachelors, take some courses related to law to see if it fits your learning style and to get a feel if you like the subject or not.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Congrats jsd. Keep us update your journey.
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA

Completed: WGU MS-CIA & Ms University Isabel I, ENEB
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

Personally, I think the law is an extremely interesting field and I can understand the attractionto a JD degree even if you don't plan on practicing law or even if you don't take/pass the bar.
I am definitely hoping to pass the bar. I don't think I'll necessarily practice, not sure there's much of a market out there for a middle-aged newbie lawyer from a very not prestigious school Smile

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I'm interested in following this journey. I always thought it'd be fun to go into law, especially Water Law as that is a huge portion of California law.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
Since you already have a bachelors, you don't have to take the baby bar. I'm also in the program but haven't made as much progress as I'd have liked. In either case, we can always lean on each other in the times ahead.
Harvard Extension School- HESA President- 2024
O.P. Jindal Global University- MA in International Relations, Security, and Strategy- In Prog.
Harvard Uni-Ext. School- ALM in English- In Prog., Cert. in American Lit. and Culture- May 2024
Harvard Uni- Kennedy School of Gov.- PLC- Public Leadership Credential- 01/2023
Bottega Uni- MBA-Feb. 2022
Kennesaw State Uni- BA English-Dec. 2021
Charter Oak State College- BS/AS Psychology- 2013
[-] The following 1 user Likes collegecareerstudent's post:
  • MFG
(02-04-2023, 12:19 AM)ashkir Wrote: I'm interested in following this journey. I always thought it'd be fun to go into law, especially Water Law as that is a huge portion of California law.

I like Tree Law. Tree Law is fun, IMO, but rarely talked about outside of certain circles. I'm not sure I'd have as much fun reading the actual legal codes that Tree Law is based on, however.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • ROYISAGIRL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,768 559,655 17 minutes ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA from Hellenic American University (HAU) allvia 113 16,872 04-25-2024, 10:33 AM
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 340 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 771 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 2,046 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,267 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 193 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 528 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 392 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,152 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill