Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit
Hi All! What you all are doing with this forum is great - incredibly helpful to a lot of folks! I seek an audience with the Oracle(s) of ACE credit transfer  Tongue

Here's what I'm working on:

18 Yr Old HS Senior
17 Yr Old HS Junior

Is there an accurate list out there of reputable Brick and Mortar Public Univ's with online degree programs that Accept all (or most of) ACE Credits. Something along the lines of UMPI, but that would work for my HS kids? 

They really like the Sophia and Study.com courses, and have finished the following CLEPs below. The CLEPs are pretty slow going, and would like to focus in on Sophia for the bulk of the rest. 

History I
History II
Psych
Info Sys
English Comp
(Scored below 50 on College Algebra)

I've gone thru all the 'partner' school lists on sophia and study.com and not much there for us. Like everyone else, would like to avoid the programs that telegraph it's online. CSU Global would be good, but the 'online' moniker is too prevalent on their documentation and name for my comfort. Cost is not the driving factor for us, it's reputation and the ability to get future internships and eventually employment. I've read all the insights into TESU on here as well. Perspective majors up to this point are: Bus Admin - Information Systems, Occupational Safety, Project Management, Information Science. These kids aren't the child prodigy-types....normal, B & C students. Hopefully that paints the picture. I'd appreciate your insights, ideas for online programs (anything is on the table, so if you have any creative ideas, please share)!  

All The Best and Many Thanks!

CD Rob

MS, Central Michigan Univ '96
BS, TN Tech Univ '94
US Army
TESU is a good option, they recently lowered the age requirements. Students must have graduated from HS, but the minimum age is now 16 and not 18/20 as it was before. They do require 30 RA credits, but that's not very difficult/expensive. They have relatively low upper level requirements (only 18 UL credits needed compared to other schools that require 21-30 UL credits).

SNHU is another good option, minimum age is 18. At least 30 credits must be completed through them; all online.

Finally, there is Excelsior. They don't have a minimum age, per se, but students must have graduated HS. They also charge $300 for each transcript evaluation after the first evaluation. So you need to make sure that you have everything right before you apply or else it could quickly get expensive.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, staceydiane
Have you already looked at schools in your area? A lot of times they don’t really advertise what they take in alternative credits, but this will vary a great deal from school to school and depending on your major. I was surprised to learn that a college somewhat near me has a rather robust online offering, tuition is reasonable, but I haven’t asked about alternative credit yet. My son is going to be a junior, but he hasn’t started any alternative credits yet.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(07-26-2023, 07:52 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Have you already looked at schools in your area?  A lot of times they don’t really advertise what they take in alternative credits, but this will vary a great deal from school to school and depending on your major.  I was surprised to learn that a college somewhat near me has a rather robust online offering, tuition is reasonable, but I haven’t asked about alternative credit yet.  My son is going to be a junior, but he hasn’t started any alternative credits yet.

Yep, I found one local CC that "may accept Sophia Learning".....advised me "check before you take anything". It's kind of like they didn't want to go on record to say they would accept anything specifically. It's very tiring. If I could get them to commit to accepting the Sophia credits, they have articulation agreements with several in-state public schools that's 'supposed' to accept the 60 credits from an AA or AS from the CC to the in-state Universities. I'm still uneasy about some the state Univ's being weird about the Sophia Learning credits on the transcript though. I need to try and get some assurances from both parties before going down that road.  

The CC's have online learning we could do, but my kids really like the independence and speed of the sophia and study.com courses. A 15 week course with a schedule would drive them crazy. They might have to settle for the 8 week option for courses at the CC, but boy, we'd really like to figure out the ACE thing. 

Thanks for the reply....
[-] The following 1 user Likes cdrob44's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
BTW, there are degree plans for both SNHU and TESU on the wiki. This would give you/them an idea of what to expect and what kind of degrees can be obtained at each school.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-26-2023, 09:36 AM)rachel83az Wrote: BTW, there are degree plans for both SNHU and TESU on the wiki. This would give you/them an idea of what to expect and what kind of degrees can be obtained at each school.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU

Thanks for the reply. SNHU and PUG have oversaturated my area with advertising 'online' degrees, so not the best options for avoiding the 'online degree' baggage for our situation. I am looking for a brick and mortar with online degrees that are less publicly known as online degrees. I think online degrees are the future, and it's the obvious model for how things should be, but until that time comes when high $ public Universities give us some slack on the reins of control and the perception shift happens, it's the reality. We have done a lot of research on TESU, and it's on our radar. 

Thanks again!
@cdrob44, Welcome to the board, you haven't completed the template or addendum, so we don't really know the budget, commitments, study habits and so on. Most of the info requested on the template/addendum helps to paint an overall picture of your scenario, the more details the better obviously. Basically, I would look at this thread and update us with more details if possible... Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-D...ing-Advice

My suggestion is to do a combination, your main goal actually is to find Dual Enrollment options at any of the community colleges or universities in your state. These will get you the RA requirements for many institutions (including TESU) and will be cheaper than taking RA elsewhere because of the DE discounts to high school students. You can then take the CLEP/ModernStates, or ACE/NCCRS such as the Sophia.org option to supplement the courses that can't be completed by DE.

You want to continue with the CLEP or Sophia.org as you mentioned, but that should be secondary as you want to max the Dual Enrollment option first. Here's a thread you may want to review: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ith-Alison | On post #5, I linked to another thread here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...d-with-ACE
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-26-2023, 09:12 AM)cdrob44 Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 07:52 AM)Vle045 Wrote: Have you already looked at schools in your area?  A lot of times they don’t really advertise what they take in alternative credits, but this will vary a great deal from school to school and depending on your major.  I was surprised to learn that a college somewhat near me has a rather robust online offering, tuition is reasonable, but I haven’t asked about alternative credit yet.  My son is going to be a junior, but he hasn’t started any alternative credits yet.

Yep, I found one local CC that "may accept Sophia Learning".....advised me "check before you take anything". It's kind of like they didn't want to go on record to say they would accept anything specifically. It's very tiring. If I could get them to commit to accepting the Sophia credits, they have articulation agreements with several in-state public schools that's 'supposed' to accept the 60 credits from an AA or AS from the CC to the in-state Universities. I'm still uneasy about some the state Univ's being weird about the Sophia Learning credits on the transcript though. I need to try and get some assurances from both parties before going down that road.  

The CC's have online learning we could do, but my kids really like the independence and speed of the sophia and study.com courses. A 15 week course with a schedule would drive them crazy. They might have to settle for the 8 week option for courses at the CC, but boy, we'd really like to figure out the ACE thing. 

Thanks for the reply....

I totally get what you are saying.  Unfortunately, outside of the schools who have a partnership or post some sort of policy on alternative credits, you might not know until it’s all said and done.  With that in mind, my personal approach to this is going to be as follows….

No learning opportunity is wasted.  Since Modern States/CLEP is basically free, I am going to suggest that my son start there.  Then, since Sophia is super affordable, I will have him try those next.  Once those are all done, he can apply wherever he is interested and see what sticks.  Of course, my son is not accelerating anything.  He doesn’t know what he wants to do.  He thinks he wants to “take a year”.  So during that year, he can give alternative credits a try.  If he thinks he’s gonna mooch off of us after high school, he’s gonna need a job and be working on some sort of education.    Tongue
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(07-26-2023, 07:17 AM)cdrob44 Wrote: Hi All! What you all are doing with this forum is great - incredibly helpful to a lot of folks! I seek an audience with the Oracle(s) of ACE credit transfer  Tongue

Is there an accurate list out there of reputable Brick and Mortar Public Univ's with online degree programs that Accept all (or most of) ACE Credits. Something along the lines of UMPI, but that would work for my HS kids? 

I've gone thru all the 'partner' school lists on sophia and study.com and not much there for us. Like everyone else, would like to avoid the programs that telegraph it's online. CSU Global would be good, but the 'online' moniker is too prevalent on their documentation and name for my comfort. Cost is not the driving factor for us, it's reputation and the ability to get future internships and eventually employment. I've read all the insights into TESU on here as well. Perspective majors up to this point are: Bus Admin - Information Systems, Occupational Safety, Project Management, Information Science. These kids aren't the child prodigy-types....normal, B & C students. Hopefully that paints the picture. I'd appreciate your insights, ideas for online programs (anything is on the table, so if you have any creative ideas, please share)!  

Obviously TESU is the first school that comes to mind. Public, not-for-profit, and has a campus (their nursing school is there).

I think your bar is probably too high.  You can't get "public" and "accepts almost all ACE credit" together.  You either want to do a Public University and go the traditional route, or else you want to go non-trad and use alt-credit.  You can't really have both, unfortunately.

You can find reputable private non-profits that take lots of ACE credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-26-2023, 03:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-26-2023, 07:17 AM)cdrob44 Wrote: Hi All! What you all are doing with this forum is great - incredibly helpful to a lot of folks! I seek an audience with the Oracle(s) of ACE credit transfer  Tongue

Obviously TESU is the first school that comes to mind. Public, not-for-profit, and has a campus (their nursing school is there).

I think your bar is probably too high.  You can't get "public" and "accepts almost all ACE credit" together.  You either want to do a Public University and go the traditional route, or else you want to go non-trad and use alt-credit.  You can't really have both, unfortunately.

You can find reputable private non-profits that take lots of ACE credit.

Good points - appreciate the comments. I agree, the bar is high. I've seen a lot of policies get waived, changed, or disregarded on the good old "case-by-case" basis. Ya never know. Sometimes you can get a room full of smart people put their minds together and come up with a way when there is no way. It's really fun when that happens.  Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 41,018 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,988 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 719 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 998 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM
  Does UMass Global accept Sophia and Study? nguyenquocbuu 4 1,824 10-30-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: nguyenquocbuu
Lightbulb Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org) MNomadic 123 18,979 10-04-2022, 03:46 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  will UK unis accept a degree mostly from non-traditional sources? rvm 18 2,805 09-23-2022, 05:54 PM
Last Post: rvm
  The cheapest 3-credit Calculus II online course? nomaduser 20 4,816 07-29-2022, 02:23 AM
Last Post: StudentOLife
  New ASU ULC Courses: HST-100 Global History to 1500 and COM-225 Public Speaking doom 2 1,145 06-27-2022, 05:22 PM
  Columbia College - 90 credit transfer/60 non traditional bjcheung77 1 1,121 02-03-2022, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Amberlinjeanne