Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit
Don't see anything here about PUG's Masters in Information Technology, so want to talk through some of my certification credit thoughts.

I plan to go straight into the Masters after completing my PUG Bachelors in IT (hopefully November of this year), but since I have free time now for the next few weeks, I'm looking to get as much credit as possible going into the MS. PUG is pretty generous with credit from certifications, and it looks like they will allow you to transfer credits in for half of your Masters degree, or 30 of 60 quarter credits. Realistically that's actually 28 credits (7 classes * 4 credits per class).

Here's a list of all the certifications that offer PUG MS IT credit, excepting:
  • certs that require years of work experience (e.g. CISM/CISA)
  • certs more than $500 for one class worth of credit (such as all the GIAC ones)
  • certs that offer the same class credit as an easier/lower cert (CompTIA's CASP and Security+ both give credit for IT540, but CASP is much harder)
What's left:
  • AWS Cloud Practitioner Foundational -- $100, IN515 (elective)
  • AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate -- $150, IN505 and IN516 (electives)
  • CompTIA CySA+ -- $392, IT542 (elective)
  • CompTIA Network+ -- $338, IT530 (core) 
  • CompTIA Project+ -- $358, IT511 (core)
  • CompTIA Security+ -- $370, IT 540 (core)
  • Oracle: Database Foundations Exam -- $100, IT525 (core)
That's eight classes worth of credit, so someone would have to do all but one certification to max it out. Network+ and Security+ are lower-lever certs, as are AWS Cloud Practitioner Foundational and the Oracle one, so that's four that are relatively doable, especially if you have IT experience. It's certainly not as easy as getting credit from study.com or Sophia class, but for Masters credit it still seems like a good way to go.
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
[-] The following 2 users Like walruspanda's post:
  • faresayari, origamishuttle
For CompTIA, make sure you're taking advantage of the student discounts to get up to 50% off:

https://academic-store.comptia.org/certi...vidual&
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • origamishuttle, walruspanda
Thank you for compiling this list - it's a very intriguing concept. I have four of the certs listed, worth five courses. And I could pass two others and even have my work pay for it... but I'm a slow writer, so PUG really scares me. Even so, transferring half a master's degree may prove too tempting.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • walruspanda
Hmm, I forget - I think I wrote about AWS 50% off before... I don't remember, doesn't AWS offer 50% for your next or subsequent exam if you passed their first certification? If so, you can take a cheaper exam and then use ethe 50% off for your second and subsequent exams...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC BAAS in OL is done. Next up, Masters! HoustonGuy 9 115 1 hour ago
Last Post: allvia
  University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) No Application Fee LevelUP 2 103 04-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,563 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 261 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 771 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What are UMass Global MyPath classes like? pluggingalong 14 3,539 12-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  umass global b20 9 1,824 10-05-2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 398 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects pluggingalong 13 1,380 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 2,580 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM