Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Bachelor's in Information Technology (general) Worksheet
Now that TESU is requiring the capstone, cornerstone, and we don't have a transfer for data structures, I would imagine more people are going to be looking at the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at Excelsior instead of the BA in Computer Science at TESU. I think I have found courses and certifications for everything accept for the HCI (human computer interaction) course. But, I'm wondering if we know how Study.com computer science courses transfer because technology courses aren't listed at Study.com's transfer equivalents.

One of the big questions is how Computer Science 202: Network and System Security at Study.com transfers in. It seems like it would be more of a cybersecurity course, but I'm wondering if Excelsior would take it for the Data Communications and Networking requirement.

Anyway, I couldn't find much information on the forum and I'm wondering if it's because the search can't pick up 'IT' since it's too short/common. I'm trying to put together a new worksheet prioritizing free courses first.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
[-] The following 1 user Likes udi's post:
  • adrianeraldo
(04-23-2019, 01:27 AM)udi Wrote: Now that TESU is requiring the capstone, cornerstone, and we don't have a transfer for data structures, I would imagine more people are going to be looking at the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at Excelsior instead of the BA in Computer Science at TESU. I think I have found courses and certifications for everything accept for the HCI (human computer interaction) course. But, I'm wondering if we know how Study.com computer science courses transfer because technology courses aren't listed at Study.com's transfer equivalents.

One of the big questions is how Computer Science 202: Network and System Security at Study.com transfers in. It seems like it would be more of a cybersecurity course, but I'm wondering if Excelsior would take it for the Data Communications and Networking requirement.

Anyway, I couldn't find much information on the forum and I'm wondering if it's because the search can't pick up 'IT' since it's too short/common. I'm trying to put together a new worksheet prioritizing free courses first.

Just a few days ago I sent an email to Study.com asking if ANY of their computer courses will transfer to Excelsior and their answer was no.
There is one business computer class that transfers but that is it.  I was looking at the degree you're pursuing for my twins but was wondering where to get all the computer courses since NONE from SDC transfer over so any other courses you've found that work I'd love to hear about.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

I think that has come up before, but I didn't think it was true. The general requirements for IT are being sold as really flexible. That would be really weird if they aren't following the ACE recommendations.
OnlineDegree

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Is it that Study.com knows for a fact that EC won't take those courses, or that EC hasn't said if they take them, so Study.com just doesn't know at this point?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Good question! I asked if their transfer list was up-to-date and they said yes and that I was correct: none of the computer classes will transfer to Excelsior My (very uneducated) guess is because Excelsior has specific standards to meet because of their accreditations in Cybersecurity, IT, etc.

From their website:
"Accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

(04-23-2019, 01:27 AM)udi Wrote: Now that TESU is requiring the capstone, cornerstone, and we don't have a transfer for data structures, I would imagine more people are going to be looking at the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at Excelsior instead of the BA in Computer Science at TESU. I think I have found courses and certifications for everything accept for the HCI (human computer interaction) course.

I doubt it.  Most people who want a BA in CS don't want a BS in IT.  Completely different thing.  Neither is better, they're just different.

Also, EC is expensive if you have to take classes there - $1530 for a 3cr course, so if you have to take 2 courses there (capstone as well), then you're looking at paying more than TESU.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jsd
(04-26-2019, 12:09 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-23-2019, 01:27 AM)udi Wrote: Now that TESU is requiring the capstone, cornerstone, and we don't have a transfer for data structures, I would imagine more people are going to be looking at the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at Excelsior instead of the BA in Computer Science at TESU. I think I have found courses and certifications for everything accept for the HCI (human computer interaction) course.

I doubt it.  Most people who want a BA in CS don't want a BS in IT.  Completely different thing.  Neither is better, they're just different.

Also, EC is expensive if you have to take classes there - $1530 for a 3cr course, so if you have to take 2 courses there (capstone as well), then you're looking at paying more than TESU.

Besides me, there are other people on the forum looking at options besides TESU B.A. in computer science. The degrees have similar courses depending on whether you choose the general option at Excelsior. However, once data structures gets approved, we'll just have the cornerstone and capstone at TESU to worry about. Consider that some people just need a technical degree to show for their course history.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
If you're looking for any "tech" related degree I guess that's fine, but life dfrecore said, they're definitely not substitutions for one another.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I never said they were.
OnlineDegree

Study

Saylor.org
(04-27-2019, 03:44 PM)udi Wrote: I never said they were.

Actually, you kind of did.  Your words: "I would imagine more people are going to be looking at the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology at Excelsior instead of the BA in Computer Science at TESU."

Usually people want a BACS specifically for a reason.  If they don't need it to be a BACS, they come here and ask about the easiest/fastest/cheapest tech degree.  BACS degrees normally require some amount of Calculus and Data Structures while most IT degrees don't.  There are other differences, but math is one of the big ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 582 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Transfer 113 to BS in Business (General Business Concentration) mcvjones 3 377 03-15-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,036 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,787 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,850 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,463 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,386 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,212 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,891 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,338 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM