Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good
This is a message I just got from Excelsior University:

Dear Student,

This message is to inform you of an upcoming change to our Admission and Enrollment policy. The new policy will take effect on February 12, 2024.

What does this change mean for me?

As a currently enrolled student in your degree program, the new policy means that you need to plan to take Excelsior courses consistently to remain enrolled. Students may take off a maximum of either a) two consecutive 8-week terms or b) one 15-week term.

Why is this change being made?

Data shows that student success is closely tied to consistent degree progression. Students with continuous degree progression are more likely to complete their degrees at Excelsior and reach their academic goals.

If you have questions about these changes, contact your academic advisor at advising@excelsior.edu or 1-888-647-2388.

Respectfully,

Kat McGrath, MBA
University Registrar

This seems to mean that you have to take most of your classes with Excelsior U. (at exorbitant prices) to get your degree from Excelsior University.  Should Excelsior University be recommended any longer if this is their new policy?
[-] The following 1 user Likes milah1's post:
  • origamishuttle
(10-14-2023, 08:56 AM)milah1 Wrote: Reading closely, I think it just means that next year starting Feb,2024, you have to take at least one course at Excelisor every 16 week semester. It says you can take off two consecutive 8-week terms so that just one semseter or half the acadmic year. So take at least one class at Excelsior and tried to use ACE courses to finish up as fast you can before the next semester starts.
Combined with their recent punitive evaluation fee change, this means that Excelsior no longer works like TESU. Students should complete all of their external and alt credits first before enrolling and not plan to continue bringing stuff in while an Excelsior student. That's not the end of the world; UMPI works kinda similarly.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • origamishuttle
(10-14-2023, 09:12 AM)smtGate Wrote:
(10-14-2023, 08:56 AM)milah1 Wrote: Reading closely, I think it just means that next year starting Feb,2024, you have to take at least one course at Excelisor every 16 week semester. It says you can take off two consecutive 8-week terms so that just one semseter or half the acadmic year. So take at least one class at Excelsior and tried to use ACE courses to finish up as fast you can before the next semester starts.
Hi smtGate - What type of classes are ACE classes?  I don't have too far to go.  If you could let me know where to find the ACE classes, that would be great.
[-] The following 1 user Likes milah1's post:
  • TwinMom
For most of our board members going for the Excelsior University BSLA, it won't really matter... you just need to follow through with what our member jch mentioned... Complete all your requirements first for the degree that can be transferred (113 credits), apply, get everything evaluated, complete the info lit, cornerstone and finish with the capstone...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TwinMom
So the answer to people not finishing their degree is to disenroll them to make sure they can't continue?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • jch, rachel83az
It really depends on where the student is, they can complete all the requirements and transfer them in, then take the required 7 credits at Excelsior if they're almost done... If they're half way done at 60 credits, applied, completed more ACE/NCCRS, and haven't completed any of the residency credits at Excelsior, then they just need to complete the required classes at Excelsior accordingly, so one course each term, they can do the Info Lit... then next term, do the Cornerstone, and last term, do the Capstone. Not much has changed to the requirements of the degree itself, but strict time management requirements are in place to help students progress further... This kind of makes me wonder, it's like someone poking you in the back telling you to finish faster or else you'll have enrollment issues, does it help the student progress further is one persons view...

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(10-14-2023, 02:14 PM)davewill Wrote: So the answer to people not finishing their degree is to disenroll them to make sure they can't continue?

Seems so. Is a very unfriendly move. They force you to spend money non stop with them. If you have everything ready to go changes nothing but very few people has everything at once...and each evaluation is to pass for the 300$ fee barrier. So each time looks less interesting. Each time UMPI looks more interesting.
What will improve is their statistics of success (since people that do not progress gets kick out and money revenue since you have to keep paying every 16 weeks.
Did I understand it wrong?
[-] The following 3 users Like Kab's post:
  • midnite123, rachel83az, SophiaPrincess
(10-14-2023, 02:14 PM)davewill Wrote: So the answer to people not finishing their degree is to disenroll them to make sure they can't continue?

It's an urgency thing. Buy now or you'll never get this sponge-mop-toaster-vacuum-oven on sale again!!!

It'll work quite well for a segment of students. It's not going to work well for everyone, though.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
"This kind of makes me wonder, it's like someone poking you in the back telling you to finish faster or else you'll have enrollment issues, does it help the student progress further is one persons view..."

I think this makes perfect sense to place, they want people to succeed by continuously completing requirements. As I mentioned in the thread, you don't even need to worry about the transfer of other credit, do all of those first, apply to Excelsior, then do one course at a time from them, or do the Info Lit with the cornerstone, and then the final course for capstone. Don't look at things as an obstacle, use it as a vehicle to get things done faster...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 579 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,035 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,784 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,457 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,385 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,205 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,889 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,336 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,417 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Excelsior changes alsimko 2 1,116 04-08-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: frankc