Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options
Hello all. I am a military student who was admitted to Excelsior University for the BS in Liberal Arts program. I received my initial evaluation and need a few more classes to transfer. Does anyone have any recommendations for upper level courses? I heard lawshelf might be a good source and the tests are open book. I also need another written english requirement. Any good options for those? I heard English Composition II from Sophia isn't counted. I'll link my MAP. Thank you in advance.
Hey, I removed your attachment as there is personal info in the file. Please remove the personal details if you want to add that back... I don't think there is a need to as you have VERY less remaining to complete! The info is below:

ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 6.0
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 6.0

APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Any Academic Area Lower Level 4.0
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.0
TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 13.0
Totals listed above must include the following requirements:
General Education requirements: Needed
Cornerstone requirement 3.0
Written English 3.0
Information Literacy 1.0
Capstone Course 3.0

By reading that, you need 6 + 13, for 19 credits.
If you look at the requirements below, you have 10.
Written English 3.0
Information Literacy 1.0
Capstone Course 3.0

Take any three UL courses you want and you're done... I would suggest anything from Coopersmith, Lawshelf, Study.com
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-27-2023, 05:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, I removed your attachment as there is personal info in the file.  Please remove the personal details if you want to add that back... I don't think there is a need to as you have VERY less remaining to complete!  The info is below:

ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 6.0
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 6.0

APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Any Academic Area Lower Level 4.0
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.0
TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 13.0
Totals listed above must include the following requirements:
General Education requirements: Needed
Written English 3.0
Information Literacy 1.0
Capstone Course 3.0

By reading that, you need 6 + 13, for 19 credits.
If you look at the requirements below, you have 10.
Written English 3.0
Information Literacy 1.0
Capstone Course 3.0

Take any three UL courses you want and you're done... I would suggest anything from Coopersmith, Lawshelf, Study.com

Thank you very much for the help. Do you have any recommendations for the english course? And will any of the upper level courses from lawshelf work?
Niketay Wrote:Thank you very much for the help. Do you have any recommendations for the english course? And will any of the upper level courses from lawshelf work?

Yes, You've taken English I at Sophia.org, I would take English II there as well or you can switch it up a little for Study.com... I would use Sophia.org so you can 'take' extra courses you find interesting there as well while you're waiting on English II assignment grading and for extra 'elective' credit required for the LL area, that's if you want to get a LL course.

Arts and Sciences Upper Level 6.0 minus Capstone Course 3.0 = One more UL Arts & Science
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.0 minus UL Cornerstone 3.0 = Two more UL any academic area
Take any two UL from their transfer list here: https://lawshelf.com/assets/pdf/Excelsior.pdf

Email your academic advisor to find out what other UL you can get from this list, if any.  If you can't get any from them for A&S, ask them about Davar Academy courses for UL, as a last resort, you can always look at DAU for more FREE courses to transfer into Excelsior or TESU.  Question: Have you set your sights on Excelsior because you don't have many RA credits? I see just the ones from WGU show up in the evaluation...  TESU and the 24 credit residency may rival the cost, ease, speed of Excelsior.

For UL Arts & Sciences, you can do Coopersmith or Study.com - not business courses, generally, so things that come in as Humanities or Social Sciences (like Communications, Psychology). Study.com has a list on their website of how things will come into Excelsior: https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html

For UL anything else, you can do Coopersmith or Study.com, or Lawshelf. I haven't heard what they'll bring in from there, so you may want to check first.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@Niketay, If you're going the Study.com route, try to take two courses there instead of one as the monthly fee already includes the two courses and final exams.  I would take something like English 305 Advanced Technical Writing an an A&S UL elective since you want to improve upon the English II from Sophia.org: https://study.com/college/school/excelsi...urse-guide

(06-27-2023, 11:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Niketay Wrote:Thank you very much for the help. Do you have any recommendations for the english course? And will any of the upper level courses from lawshelf work?

Yes, You've taken English I at Sophia.org, I would take English II there as well or you can switch it up a little for Study.com... I would use Sophia.org so you can 'take' extra courses you find interesting there as well while you're waiting on English II assignment grading and for extra 'elective' credit required for the LL area, that's if you want to get a LL course.

Arts and Sciences Upper Level 6.0 minus Capstone Course 3.0 = One more UL Arts & Science
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.0 minus UL Cornerstone 3.0 = Two more UL any academic area
Take any two UL from their transfer list here: https://lawshelf.com/assets/pdf/Excelsior.pdf

Email your academic advisor to find out what other UL you can get from this list, if any.  If you can't get any from them for A&S, ask them about Davar Academy courses for UL, as a last resort, you can always look at DAU for more FREE courses to transfer into Excelsior or TESU.  Question: Have you set your sights on Excelsior because you don't have many RA credits? I see just the ones from WGU show up in the evaluation...  TESU and the 24 credit residency may rival the cost, ease, speed of Excelsior.

So I have 45 credits that I took at the Defense Language Institute in person. Do the RA credits have to be taken specifically at TESU? Or would my DLI credits work to cover the RA requirement and I would be able to transfer in the remaining ACE credit, then finish the 1 or 2 mandatory TESU courses?
@OP.  It really depends on how you look at things... TESU has a requirement for 24 residency credits for military, civilians route requires 16 credits, in either case, some people go the residency waiver route ($3,354) and just pay the fee to take only the cornerstone/capstone at TESU ($1,635 each, $545x3 out of state or $1,257 each, $419x3 in-state NJ).  

The only difference is that for military students, the PLA and TECEP will grant residency credits, for civilians, this method will not work, it will only apply to RA credits.  I would recommend the TESU route, as you can add another Bachelors in Business or something for an extra $750 capstone + extra you need for the remainder of courses that make up the degree.  

Here's a quick break down and why I asked if you wanted the Excelsior route, or the TESU method.

Excelsior has 7 residency credits for any student.  Military rates are cheaper for tuition alone.
Tuition Reference: https://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-fina...uate-fees/
7 x 250 = $1,750 for Tuition
28 x 7 = $196 Tech fee
$300 = Each Evaluation
20 x 7 = $140 Service fee
$125 = Grad fee
Total: $2511

TESU has 24 credits residency for military, it's recommended to take 18 credits for the easier lower level ones.
You can go for the BALS, but I would recommend either with a concentration or a BA Foreign Language instead.
Military Tuition Fees Link: https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees
18 x 52 = $936 TECEPs
6 x 250 = $1500 Cornerstone/Capstone
$298 = Grad Fee
Total: $2734

(06-29-2023, 10:57 PM):shy:bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP.  It really depends on how you look at things... TESU has a requirement for 24 residency credits for military, civilians route requires 16 credits, in either case, some people go the residency waiver route ($3,354) and just pay the fee to take only the cornerstone/capstone at TESU ($1,635 each, $545x3 out of state or $1,257 each, $419x3 in-state NJ).  

The only difference is that for military students, the PLA and TECEP will grant residency credits, for civilians, this method will not work, it will only apply to RA credits.  I would recommend the TESU route, as you can add another Bachelors in Business or something for an extra $750 capstone + extra you need for the remainder of courses that make up the degree.  

Here's a quick break down and why I asked if you wanted the Excelsior route, or the TESU method.

Excelsior has 7 residency credits for any student.  Military rates are cheaper for tuition alone.
Tuition Reference: https://www.excelsior.edu/costs-and-fina...uate-fees/
7 x 250 = $1,750 for Tuition
28 x 7 = $196 Tech fee
$300 = Each Evaluation
20 x 7 = $140 Service fee
$125 = Grad fee
Total: $2511

TESU has 24 credits residency for military, it's recommended to take 18 credits for the easier lower level ones.
You can go for the BALS, but I would recommend either with a concentration or a BA Foreign Language instead.
Military Tuition Fees Link: https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees
18 x 52 = $936 TECEPs
6 x 250 = $1500 Cornerstone/Capstone
$298 = Grad Fee
Total: $2734
Ahhh I see. Is the 24 credit requirement per degree plan? Or just total? Like let’s say I completed the BALS with CS concentration with 24 credits earned through TESU, would I need another 24 credits for another degree? Or if I have all the courses I need, just the capstone? 

This is very helpful by the way. I am also waiting for an updated TESU evaluation. My last one had 88 credits with 32 credits left for a BALS with a concentration in CS.  Shy 

I do not have too many business courses, but I do have a few CS/IT courses and I thought the optional concentration would be nice.
(06-29-2023, 07:19 PM)Niketay Wrote:
(06-27-2023, 11:39 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

So I have 45 credits that I took at the Defense Language Institute in person. Do the RA credits have to be taken specifically at TESU? Or would my DLI credits work to cover the RA requirement and I would be able to transfer in the remaining ACE credit, then finish the 1 or 2 mandatory TESU courses?

The DLI credits are RA, and they count towards the 30cr of RA that you need at TESU.  So that requirement is covered.

The main thing you have to deal with at TESU is the residency requirement for military (24cr).

Also, your DLI credits should count towards the BALS there, and you prob have all of your UL done as well.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Arts Program Avidbus 7 892 04-03-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: browniebo
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 5 653 03-29-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 585 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Transfer 113 to BS in Business (General Business Concentration) mcvjones 3 378 03-15-2024, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Thumbs Down Transfer Evaluation Woes TaraD2020 8 884 02-24-2024, 08:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,036 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,788 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  What are Arts & Science Electives EHC2110 4 1,019 11-10-2023, 12:29 PM
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,852 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  List of Sophia Classes that count as UL Credit Niketay 2 1,097 07-07-2023, 11:05 AM