Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
(05-04-2018, 03:20 PM)Yenisei Wrote: I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.

Neither are ALEKS exams though - is that why ALEKS stopped as well?
maybe TESU heard about everybody always posting on here "just copy and paste all the shmoop material into one big file and then search it for the answers during the final exam"
[-] The following 4 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • jsd, Muldoon, nnahh, ronaldemail1
(05-04-2018, 07:58 PM)bluebooger Wrote: maybe TESU heard about everybody always posting on here "just copy and paste all the shmoop material into one big file and then search it for the answers during the final exam"

Ha! Cheaters are gonna cheat, proctored or not. Sucks that it has to ruin it for the rest of us.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
(05-04-2018, 05:11 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:05 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Well, before we all get out the pitchforks and torches, let's just wait and see how it plays out. No one here knows what's going on behind the scenes. TESU is doing us a favor by allowing us to have ANY time to finish the courses; I know it's inconvenient but that's life. We don't have a "right" to anything as far as TESU is concerned, so if you've got something you're trying to finish, your time would probably be best utilized over at Shmoop finishing it up.

If we are entitled to nothing else, we are entitled to the approved course list that it was promised they would abide by, originally for that first year of enrollment. At the very least, if you have had course approved and planned into your degree, there should be more time allowed than a month to send in transcripts. The whole point of applying, planning a degree and getting it approved, and then enrolling, is to lock in what they will accept for your degree. If that's not being honored, that's a problem. We are entitled to whatever's left of our year of approval, but even a few months more than what they're giving would be better than this.

What "approved course list" are you referring to?

(05-04-2018, 07:32 PM)acamp Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 03:20 PM)Yenisei Wrote: I wonder if it's because Shmoop's finals are unproctored.

No - ALEKS ACE credit expired.  Totally different thing than no longer accepting something.

(05-04-2018, 06:47 PM)scout2family Wrote: Am I understanding correctly, let's say I hadn't gotten the 3rd evaluation approved from the registrar--  I won't get the rest of my evaluation complete until I enroll for a course? I am planning on taking the Capstone in July-- for December graduation. (This scenario is if the registrar fails to get that 3rd evaluation done, like she said she would-- I really want to do everything I can to get those 30 credit from Shmoop applied!)

It's 2 separate evaluations, not evaluation of just 2 transcripts.  So, when you apply and send in your transcripts, they evaluate them ALL and that's your first eval.  Then, if you send more transcripts later, they will do an additional eval.  It's why I normally tell people to build up a few courses (or a lot of them) on ACE before sending them in.  Also, I say to send them an ACE transcript periodically (every 6 months or so) and not wait until the very end, because you don't want any surprises.  Better to know there's a problem early and have time to deal with it then think you're going to take the capstone and graduate, only to find out that's not the case.

(05-04-2018, 06:49 PM)BSLIONS Wrote: I had 15 credits.... and they’re gone.

I'm thinking you should send them all immediately, and show that they were completed before the May 2 (3?) cutoff date, and you may be ok.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jeremiah_jn
This whole thing sounds really Shmoopy
[-] The following 3 users Like Nixi's post:
  • leland.kirk, Muldoon, mvk
(05-04-2018, 09:21 PM)Nixi Wrote: This whole thing sounds really Shmoopy

This made me laugh Wink

Shame to see any courses/programs removed from the approved list with TESU. Completing a degree with them through outside resources is continuing to get tougher and more expensive each year. Hopefully, Shmoop courses after further review get placed back on the approved list.

Super bummed to see ALEKS still on the sidelines. ALEKS was my first 15 credits and I wonder if not for knocking those out if I would have even kept going with the whole degree adventure. There was something really cool about being able to apply prior knowledge and efficiently complete a series of credits that really set the wheels in motion.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
ALEKS just got an extension
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • leland.kirk
(05-04-2018, 10:49 PM)jsd Wrote: ALEKS just got an extension

Sweet - this has been the longest delay for a new extension. Glad to hear they are back in the game!
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
From TESU's website:

"Approval is obtaining permission before you take the course. By doing that you get confirmation that the credits you are about to earn will apply to your degree.

By selecting potential credits ahead of time you are able to make a long-range plan. You are able to get that all important confirmation about what fits into your degree before you actually take it. Taking a course and THEN finding out that it won't help to finish your degree can be among the most unpleasant student experiences. The University wants to help you avoid that experience and the unnecessary expense."

(05-04-2018, 09:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:11 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:05 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Well, before we all get out the pitchforks and torches, let's just wait and see how it plays out. No one here knows what's going on behind the scenes. TESU is doing us a favor by allowing us to have ANY time to finish the courses; I know it's inconvenient but that's life. We don't have a "right" to anything as far as TESU is concerned, so if you've got something you're trying to finish, your time would probably be best utilized over at Shmoop finishing it up.

If we are entitled to nothing else, we are entitled to the approved course list that it was promised they would abide by, originally for that first year of enrollment. At the very least, if you have had course approved and planned into your degree, there should be more time allowed than a month to send in transcripts. The whole point of applying, planning a degree and getting it approved, and then enrolling, is to lock in what they will accept for your degree. If that's not being honored, that's a problem. We are entitled to whatever's left of our year of approval, but even a few months more than what they're giving would be better than this.

What "approved course list" are you referring to?

(05-04-2018, 07:32 PM)acamp Wrote:

No - ALEKS ACE credit expired.  Totally different thing than no longer accepting something.

(05-04-2018, 06:47 PM)scout2family Wrote: Am I understanding correctly, let's say I hadn't gotten the 3rd evaluation approved from the registrar--  I won't get the rest of my evaluation complete until I enroll for a course? I am planning on taking the Capstone in July-- for December graduation. (This scenario is if the registrar fails to get that 3rd evaluation done, like she said she would-- I really want to do everything I can to get those 30 credit from Shmoop applied!)

It's 2 separate evaluations, not evaluation of just 2 transcripts.  So, when you apply and send in your transcripts, they evaluate them ALL and that's your first eval.  Then, if you send more transcripts later, they will do an additional eval.  It's why I normally tell people to build up a few courses (or a lot of them) on ACE before sending them in.  Also, I say to send them an ACE transcript periodically (every 6 months or so) and not wait until the very end, because you don't want any surprises.  Better to know there's a problem early and have time to deal with it then think you're going to take the capstone and graduate, only to find out that's not the case.

(05-04-2018, 06:49 PM)BSLIONS Wrote: I had 15 credits.... and they’re gone.

I'm thinking you should send them all immediately, and show that they were completed before the May 2 (3?) cutoff date, and you may be ok.
(05-04-2018, 10:51 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:49 PM)jsd Wrote: ALEKS just got an extension

Sweet - this has been the longest delay for a new extension. Glad to hear they are back in the game!

The silver lining of the whole thread!

I'm curious to see how this all plays out. I wonder if it is as simple as them having a member of TESU staff/faculty take a couple Shmoop courses so they have a grasp on what they should transfer as. 
Or maybe they just couldn't take the name seriously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 179 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,735 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 372 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 463 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,169 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,334 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,323 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,476 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42