Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-traditional HS options for ADHD 8th grader
mrs.b Wrote:If the family would like to continue to give secular public school an opportunity but would like information on their rights for demanding further services and assistance for Anna, the National Center for Learning Disabilities has a wealth of knowledge of what should qualify, how to request those services, and how to fight for her rights within the system. National Center for Learning Disabilities | NCLD.org - NCLD

Thanks for this link. It is really something different and interesting. Re: Catholic schooling here in Charlotte. Both Ted and I are very familiar with the situation. In general, while the parochial schools here are quite supportive, they do not have any kind of resources for truly developmental disability issues. So that's why Anna goes to public school. My boy, now 25, made it through the parochial system before we knew the seriousness of his ADD. But, in hindsight, I now know he was scarred by the experience in ways that may be continuing to interfere with his life as an adult. The most important of these scars was social rejection by too many male classmates. particularly the other members of the football team. I failed miserably to address His feelings of inadequacy until I saw first hand his "brain freeze" while trying to put together a large speech for his public speaking course. I finally was alert enough to demand that my wife get her head out the sand as mine finally was and get our boy some real help. Once he was properly diagnosed and could take the amphetamines for academic situations, he was a changed man. Not only did he stop running from academics but he became determined to achieve high grades. I think he has gotten only one B since. But I don't want to put too much gloss on his situation. He still is mostly unable to "connect the dots" of the bigger picture when necessary, and he does not yet have a proper sense of relative risk/reward. E.g with a new baby in his car and a tire that possibly needed less stress, he got a ticket for speeding 96 mph while passing in a 70 mph zone. So while he has finished his TESC capstone on the third try and will probably get an A and finally graduate with a BA Music ticket, life around our ADD boy and his family continues to be a whirlwind of effort. No retirement for my wife and I until death! I am just trying to help my friend Ted not make any of the big mistakes if that is really possible. Back to Anna: We actually have a lot of home school fellow parishioners at our church. However, to the best of our knowledge, these folks are doing it because our parochial schools here are not conservative enough for their value system! But if Ted goes the home school route, I'm sure these folks will give him a helping hand in any way they can. But as you and Jennifer have pointed out, we should not "put the cart in front of the horse." Thanks again for your candidness and references. And continued good fortune for you and your boy!

Messages In This Thread
Non-traditional HS options for ADHD 8th grader - by JohnnyHeck - 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Options for Texas Government? westex93 6 129 15 minutes ago
Last Post: westex93
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 129 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,077 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  12 Amazing Superpowers of ADHD LevelUP 0 306 03-06-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 431 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  How AI threatens to make traditional college degree ‘obsolete’: experts LevelUP 5 1,186 10-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 2,593 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  2nd grader expelled... bjcheung77 18 1,650 10-02-2022, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,358 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Pathophysiology options? allvia 12 2,465 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: allvia