Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Algebra
After failing pre-calculus (required for Thomas Edison business majors), I went to enroll in a pre-cal course at a junior collge - but they wouldn't let me in saying I had to have College Algebra AND Triginometry done before being able to enroll. As you know, there is no Trig clep but there is a College Algebra CLEP for three credits. College Algebra AND Trig will satisfy my pre-cal requirement (and all you TH buis majors). So I studied TWO DAYS with the REA College Algebra book (very good - perfect - has three full-length tests with EVERY PROBLEM worked out at the back) and scored a 64 today on College Algebra. Now I will enroll in a Trig course for the Spring (my first real college class....maybe I will quit whining about studying for tests now).

A big idea for any of you in the same boat as me to consider:
When I met with the head of the math dept, she said tech schools still offer a College Algebra/Trig course!!!! Find one that is accredited and you will fill this requirement without College Algebra!!! She said these tech school classes are WAY shorter than a traditional semester (sometimes eight weeks) and the subject matter is very basic (only a little right triangle trig combined with elementary algebra). I'm looking for one now to take instead of trig.....

WOO-HOO!!!! I AM SO PUMPED I PASSED!!!hilarious
Leah in Texas
CLEPs I passed: Accounting, Info Syst/Comp App, Mgmt, Marketing, Am Lit, Anlyz/Inter Lit, Eng Comp w/ Essay, Eng Lit, Humanities, US Hist I, US Hist II, Macroeco, Microeco, College Math, Nat. Sciences, College Algebra, Buis Law, Sociology
DSSTs I passed: Statistics, Finance, HR Mgmt, Org Behavior, Intro to Buis, Mgmt Info Sys, Buis Math, Prin Supervision, Money and Banking
Tests I failed:
Money and Banking, Pre-cal
College/Major: Thomas Edison, Buis Mgmt
[SIZE="5"]Great Job - Congrats!![/SIZE]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
If you don't mind, what was your math level before you studied for this test?

I am taking the College Algebra exam in a couple weeks, and I am studying for it but feel weak in math. I'm just trying to get a feel for what level of dedication I need to have to this exam.

I recently took the English Comp exam without studying and feel like I knocked it out without a problem (still waiting for my score). So I usually rely on taking exams based on my acquired knowledge instead of studying.

Any suggestions?
I'm curious to know your prior level/comfort with Algebra before taking this CLEP as well.
--
Atlanta, GA

:confused: Test Studying for: DSST Financial Accounting
Big Grin CLEPs Passed: Since 10/11/2006: Info Systems Computer Apps, Business Law I, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences/History, Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing
Sad Test Failed: Macroeconomics (-5pts), Principles of Accounting (-1pt)
Um, I studied Saxon Math in high school and went through Algebra 1/2, 1 and 2 and half of their Advanced Mathmatics book..........but dude, that was YEARS ago. Just buy the REA book for the CLEP College Algebra book and you should do ok. I tutored two of my young friends who also took this exam - one passed with a 53, the other failed by one point. So it's not super easy, but if you read through the REA adn do all three of the tests and read the answers thoroughly I think you have a good shot.

I have been out of town a month and today is my first day to study Business Law so I feel like a slacker. Oh, and a procrastinator b/c I'm on the forum instead of cards.hilarious
Leah in Texas
CLEPs I passed: Accounting, Info Syst/Comp App, Mgmt, Marketing, Am Lit, Anlyz/Inter Lit, Eng Comp w/ Essay, Eng Lit, Humanities, US Hist I, US Hist II, Macroeco, Microeco, College Math, Nat. Sciences, College Algebra, Buis Law, Sociology
DSSTs I passed: Statistics, Finance, HR Mgmt, Org Behavior, Intro to Buis, Mgmt Info Sys, Buis Math, Prin Supervision, Money and Banking
Tests I failed:
Money and Banking, Pre-cal
College/Major: Thomas Edison, Buis Mgmt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,937 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 821 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 204 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,125 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,890 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,449 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,506 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 514 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 893 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 333 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox