Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions.
Hi All. Newbie here. I'm looking at enrolling in UMPI's BA in History & Political Science - History concentration. Political Science option would also be fine if it is easier or faster. I have an extensive background in business, but no desire to study more of anything business-related so the BBA options aren't appealing. I'd like to transfer in the full 90 credits so that I only need 10 classes, if possible. I'm good at writing papers which I understand is the primary method of evaluation. Completing my undergrad is mostly a personal goal, but it will also check the box professionally regardless of the major.

I reviewed the wiki and it looks like I still need English Comp II and Intro to Sociology to meet UMPI's GE's. I don't like either of those options on Sophia, so I'm considering CLEP for both. I think I need the College Composition one with essays - not modular - to get credit for Comp II, but please let me know if I'm wrong. Or better, if I misunderstood the GE's and don't need one or both of these classes. If English Comp II is better at UMPI then CLEP, then I'm open to that as well. 

I'm also wondering if I can CLEP out of HTY115 and HTY116 (World Civilization I and II), since they are part of the History concentration requirements and they show as accepted on MaineStreet? If UMPI also accepts my college American Government Class as POS101, I think that would leave me with 9 classes left in the major and one elective.

I appreciate any insight anyone has to offer. I'd also love thoughts on what a realistic number of classes is per term at 30ish hours a week. For context, I averaged about 3-5 days to complete 2 Sophia classes (not counting time waiting for touchstone grades). Some took a couple of hours (looking at you College Readiness) and others took 10 days (Statistics ugh).

Your Location: Washington State, USA
Your Age: 50+
What kind of degree do you want?: BA - History/Political Science. Would consider similar (non-STEM) majors if easier/faster.

Current Regional Accredited Credits: 
Bucks County Community College - 24 Semester (all show as transfer on MaineStreet equivalency tool except as noted)

Human Services Work I  (not listed on MaineStreet - maybe elective?)
Intro to Psychology
Effective Speaking
English Composition I
Principles of Macroeconomics (probably elective since took Microeconomics on Sophia which fulfills ECO207)
Geography of the US and Canada (not listed on MaineStreet - maybe elective?)
US History II
American National Government (not listed on MaineStreet - seems like should transfer to POS101 American Government?)

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 
Sophia - 63 Semester

Visual Communications
Intro to Ethics
Intro To Business
Art History II
Environmental Science
Intro to Information Technology
Essentials of Managing Conflict (1) (Not sure if this will get credit since I also completed Conflict Resolution)
Intro to Nutrition
Developing Effective Teams (1)
Conflict Resolution
US History I
Lifespan Development
Intro to College Mathematics
Spanish I
Spanish II
Human Biology
Human Biology Lab (1)
Criminology
Project Management
Intro to Statistics
College Readiness
Principles of Finance
Microeconomics

Any certifications or military experience?: 

Yes, current SHRM-CP certification.

Budget: Prefer to finish for <$10,000
Commitments: Work full time and home responsibilities.
Dedicated time to study: 30ish hours per week - 3-4 in the evening and 6-8 on most weekend days.
Timeline: As quickly as possible. Would like to complete before end of 2025, assuming I can enroll in time for the term beginning in January and complete all CLEP before then.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: None
CLEP would work for all of the classes that you mentioned.

For English II, the UMPI class is not recommended on the forum., so you will want to take the College Composition with essay CLEP, not the modular. Alternatively, you could do the Workplace Writing II course on Sophia, which is shorter and has fewer essays.

Here is the current CLEP equivalency list for UMPI:
https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854

CLEP - Credits - UMPI Classes - Score Needed
College Composition 6 ENG 101 and ENG 121 50
Introduction to Sociology 3 SOC100 50
Western Civilization I 3 HTY115 50
Western Civilization II 3 HTY116 50

Your Geography of the US and Canada might fill in the requirement 5A.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • Patchouli_Skoal
Big Grin 
(10-13-2024, 10:53 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: CLEP would work for all of the classes that you mentioned.

For English II, the UMPI class is not recommended on the forum., so you will want to take the College Composition with essay CLEP, not the modular. Alternatively, you could do the Workplace Writing II course on Sophia, which is shorter and has fewer essays.

Here is the current CLEP equivalency list for UMPI:
https://mycampus.maine.edu/c/document_li...pId=223854

CLEP - Credits - UMPI Classes - Score Needed
College Composition 6 ENG 101 and ENG 121 50
Introduction to Sociology 3 SOC100 50
Western Civilization I 3 HTY115 50
Western Civilization II 3 HTY116 50

Thanks!  I guess the College Comp CLEP will give me a duplicate of English Comp 1 in addition to the Comp II I need. Bummer I can't get credit for it twice.
Hmm, you've pretty much max out your transfer credits already, taking these classes may work to bump up your credits that go towards the degree and bumping those that don't go towards the degree under the line. It's best for you to create a spreadsheet of remaining classes when you apply, transfer all credits, and get an evaluation showcasing which remaining ones you have left. You should max out the credits on the WIKI and take the 10 classes required for residency. Here's the WIKI for UMPI, down by categories, click UMPI and it'll show you the links for degree plans including the general education requirements, etc.

Blah! Here's the link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Patchouli_Skoal
(10-14-2024, 01:07 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, you've pretty much max out your transfer credits already, taking these classes may work to bump up your credits that go towards the degree and bumping those that don't go towards the degree under the line.  It's best for you to create a spreadsheet of remaining classes when you apply, transfer all credits, and get an evaluation showcasing which remaining ones you have left.  You should max out the credits on the WIKI and take the 10 classes required for residency.  Here's the WIKI for UMPI, down by categories, click UMPI and it'll show you the links for degree plans including the general education requirements, etc.

Blah! Here's the link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle

Thanks!  I figured I'd end up with a few over the 90 credits by the time I was done with the CLEP stuff. I'm hedging since I'm not sure if two of the of the old CC classes will transfer in. They weren't listed on the MaineStreet tool and I didn't see similar classes at UMPI.  Appreciate the link.  I saw the one with the GE equivalencies for Sophia but hadn't seen this one.
Use Straighterline to knock out World Civ 1 and 2

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,622 2 hours ago
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Enrollment and transfer evaluation process AverageAlien 18 708 Yesterday, 10:36 PM
Last Post: zyczycccc
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 96,550 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
Question Transfer Credit Questions SierraAZ1395 10 534 10-10-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,184 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 443 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 400 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,254 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,188 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 296 09-27-2024, 09:24 AM