Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI Class Review Master Thread
(08-17-2023, 10:37 AM)BigJohn1975 Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 05:59 PM)ishady Wrote: Name: MAT 140 - Mathematics for Business.
Subject: Mathematics
Semester/Term: This June-,July 2023 (summer?)
Instructor: Courtney Boma.
Long or Short?: Long.
Number of Outcomes: 10 (if not mistaken)
Adaptive Outcomes?: Yes.
Number of Milestone Activities: 6.
Type of Milestone Activities: explain some Math problem.
Type of Final Assessment: Quiz in 3 hours.
Notes & Overall Thoughts: easier than Sophia's Introduction to Statistic (althou not related, should be compared to Study.com instead) could be quicker if you take tutoring, the exam was the same as the adaptive just different value.

How many days does it take?
If are you limited by waiting on each milestone to be graded 1 by 1?
If I could spend 8 hours a day on the course, could I finish in 2-3 days?
Hello, sorry for late reply. I took it a very long time because I am not a Math person and have to take tutoring. But if you are fond of Math you could do it in short time because it's only slightly above basic Math. Good luck. Cheers.
Name: ECO 207 Macro and Microeconomics
Subject: Economics
Semester/Term: Fall 1 2023 
Instructor: Kennard Brown
Long or Short?: Medium/long
Number of Outcomes: 5 chapters
Adaptive Outcomes?: No
Number of Milestone Activities: 10
Type of Milestone Activities: Short essay 500 words about 1 page or video presentation about some economics subjects that are explained in the reading
Type of Final Assessment: Essay 4-6 pages and video presentation 5-10 minutes about a case with 10 questions
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Could be shorter (perhaps 2 weeks) if the professor answer the milestones and the draft promptly. The professor quite nice and give kind words, but review milestones 72 hours later, so recommended to work at other class while waiting

(06-28-2023, 05:59 PM)ishady Wrote: Name: MAT 140 - Mathematics for Business.
Subject: Mathematics
Semester/Term: This June-,July 2023 (summer?)
Instructor: Courtney Boma.
Long or Short?: Long.
Number of Outcomes: 10 (if not mistaken)
Adaptive Outcomes?: Yes.
Number of Milestone Activities: 6.
Type of Milestone Activities: explain some Math problem.
Type of Final Assessment: Quiz in 3 hours.
Notes & Overall Thoughts: easier than Sophia's Introduction to Statistic (althou not related, should be compared to Study.com instead) could be quicker if you take tutoring, the exam was the same as the adaptive just different value.
Type of Final Assessment: Quiz in 3 hours (37 multiple choices)
[-] The following 2 users Like ishady's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: BUS 240 Change Management
Subject: Business
Semester/Term: Fall Term 1 2023
Instructor: Brian Richards
Long or Short?: Short
Number of Modules: 6
Number of Milestones: 3
Type of Milestone Activities: Short essays (approx 500 words)
Type of Final Assessment: 1500-2000 word APA paper with recommendations for a change management plan at the company/organization of your choice.
Notes & Overall Thoughts:
Brian Richards is a great professor. He grades milestones promptly and provides thoughtful feedback. This was a very good short course and I recommend it be taken at UMPI versus SDC.

Name: BUS 466 Governmental and Not-For-Profit Accounting
Subject: Accounting
Instructor: Dr. Michael Curran
Long or Short?: Long
Number of Modules: 7
Number of Milestones: 7
Type of Milestone Activities: 2-3 page APA papers per instructions
Type of Final Assessment: 10 Essay Questions
Compilation of ten essay questions on material from the modules that also requires substantial outside research and sources. This ended up being around 15 pages long in the end.
Dr. Curran is a really awesome professor. He grades milestones promptly and provides interesting feedback. However this course is a complete nightmare. I must have written over 40 pages and at least 10,000 words for this course, which is more than all of my previous accounting courses combined. The milestones are just the worst. Every single one is like write a 2-3 page paper about this laundry list of topics, which actually take 5-6 pages to fully explain. And they don't even tie into the Final Assessment at all either, so it's literally just tons of non-graded busy work for nothing. Whoever designed this course did it like a normal 8 week course with a 3-4 page paper each week and a final paper for an assessment. This definitely is not a CBE formatted course at all. This course was an emailed course prior to this semester as it was not on Strut. The move to Brightspace has made this course a monster. Transfer it in from somewhere else easier at all costs.
[-] The following 3 users Like turbotortuga's post:
  • gamebradie, origamishuttle, Pikachu
(10-21-2023, 04:41 AM)turbotortuga Wrote: Name: BUS 240 Change Management
Instructor: Brian Richards
Number of Modules: 6
Number of Milestones: 3
Type of Milestone Activities: Short essays (approx 500 words)
Type of Final Assessment: 1500-2000 word APA paper with recommendations for a change management plan at the company/organization of your choice.
    Brian Richards is a great professor. He grades milestones promptly and provides thoughtful feedback. This was a very good short course and I recommend it be taken at UMPI versus SDC.

Name: BUS 466 Governmental and Not-For-Profit Accounting
Subject: Accounting
Instructor: Dr. Michael Curran
Number of Modules: 7
Number of Milestones: 7
Type of Milestone Activities: 2-3 page APA papers per instructions
Type of Final Assessment: 10 Essay Questions
Compilation of ten essay questions on material from the modules that also requires substantial outside research and sources. This ended up being around 15 pages long in the end.
    Dr. Curran is a really awesome professor. He grades milestones promptly and provides interesting feedback. However this course is a complete nightmare. I must have written over 40 pages and at least 10,000 words for this course, which is more than all of my previous accounting courses combined. The milestones are just the worst. Every single one is like write a 2-3 page paper about this laundry list of topics, which actually take 5-6 pages to fully explain. And they don't even tie into the Final Assessment at all either, so it's literally just tons of non-graded busy work for nothing. Whoever designed this course did it like a normal 8 week course with a 3-4 page paper each week and a final paper for an assessment. This definitely is not a CBE formatted course at all. This course was an emailed course prior to this semester as it was not on Strut. The move to Brightspace has made this course a monster. Transfer it in from somewhere else easier at all costs.
Thank you. Your posts is really helpful, now I will avoid BUS 466 and BIO 105 (or take it with Sophia).
Appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ishady's post:
  • kleine
Name: BUS 335 Organizational Behavior
Semester/Term: Fall Term 2 2023
Instructor: Prof. Bajek
Long or Short? Short-Ish
Number of Modules: 5 quick modules
Number of Milestones: 4 Milestones -
Type of Milestone Activities: 4 varied-length responses aka essays from 900-2000 words each
Type of Final Assessment: 15-20 Slide PowerPoint w/ notes on each slide of a paragraph each at a minimum and a Kaltura recording of the presentation. The topic of an Inspirational Leader, how you view your leadership style, how it can be incorporated, how it aligns with your leadership style etc.
Notes & Overall Thoughts: The course was aligned with other leadership courses I've taken. So not too foreign. Pretty easy and straightforward
K Bajek is a great professor. She is accessible and grades milestones promptly. This was a very good short course and I recommend it be taken at UMPI I enjoyed making the PowerPoint.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarnaginra's post:
  • Pikachu
Name: ENV 110 Intro to Environmental Science
Subject: Environmental/General Education
Instructor: Professor Jason Johnston
Long or Short? Medium/Short (Medium for not so committed to study like I did and just did the work not everyday. Could be short for someone committed and like the subject of environment and general biology).
Number of Modules: 6 (1 get started, 5 real working modules)
Adaptive Quiz: 4 (must pass minimum 80% in 2 takes)
Number of Milestones: 4
Type of Milestone Activities: writing short paper primarily from the reading (he emphasize from the UMPI's reading)
Type of Final Assessment: paper about environmental problems and the solutions (minimum 6-8 pages but the prof want me to expand the writing so it's ended with more pages; prof require source from the reading and other scholarly sources)
Notes & Overall Thoughts: the prof. respond milestones promptly. If you like biology and environmental issue perhaps it will take short term. He multiple times emphasize on primary reading from UMPI source and then add other scholarly peer reviewed sources.
Problems: some students did not pass the adaptive quizzes after second attempt and can not reach the draft/final, so the prof.ask them to write a short writing to explain the quiz and submit them to miscellaneous. If the prof.satisfy, then he will open the draft/final.
[-] The following 3 users Like ishady's post:
  • Darknigh7, origamishuttle, Pikachu
(11-14-2022, 04:29 PM)RbxFunRocks Wrote: The University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMPI) offers degrees through YourPace. Each term is 8 weeks in length. During each term, you are allowed to take as many classes as possible for a flat fee of $1400 (undergraduate programs) or $2000 (graduate program). A semester is two terms. New classes cannot be added when there's 10 days or less remaining in the term without approval from your academic advisor.

As of November 14th, 2022, UMPI YourPace offers the following degrees:

Bachelor of Arts (BA)
  • Accounting
  • History & Political Science
  • English – Professional Communication & Journalism
  • Criminal Justice
Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration (BABA)
  • Accounting
  • Management & Leadership
  • Marketing
  • Project Management
  • Supply Chain Management
Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS)
  • Accounting
  • Educational Studies
  • Management Information
  • Management
  • Project Management
Master of Arts (MA)
  • Organizational Leadership
Here's a link to a list of the available undergraduate degrees: https://online.umpi.edu/degrees/undergraduate/

Here's a link to the Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership (MAOL): https://www.umpi.edu/yourpace/maol/

I've noticed that there have been a lot of threads by UMPI students asking about certain classes and their difficulties/lengths. Some of the time, these threads are asking for class ideas instead of anything specific.

I'm sure there's a lot of useful information about certain UMPI classes that students would like to know, but can't find much about due to a lack of discussion. Some course info might be out there, but is incredibly scattered and buried in the website's search results. I imagine UMPI speedrunners don't want to start a new thread every single time they complete a course. To solve this, what better than to start a thread to encourage reviewing classes?

Here is a recommended format to follow:

Name: EXL 707 - Example Course II
Subject: Accounting? Business? Something else?
Semester/Term: Winter Term 3 20XX
Instructor: Lastname
Long or Short?: Long / Medium / Short
Number of Outcomes: How many chapters are there? 
Adaptive Outcomes?: Yes / No 
Number of Milestone Activities: How many milestone activities do you have to complete before the final?
Type of Milestone Activities: Quiz? 500-word Essay? Something else?
Type of Final Assessment: Quiz? PowerPoint? 1500-word Essay? Something else?
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Anything else you'd like to say about the class?

A "Short" class is one that takes less than 10 total hours of coursework (reading, watching videos, and assignments). "Medium" refers to one that takes between 10 and 24 hours. "Long" is longer than 24 hours.

For "Number of Outcomes", include ones without milestone activities. "Adaptive Outcomes" refers to when a class personalizes your required lessons based on a quiz at the beginning of an outcome.

This thread is for UMPI's YourPace classes only.

Feel free to fill this out for classes you are currently taking/don't remember much about. I'm sure a lot of the students reading this will appreciate some info about a class instead of none. Filling out every detail isn't necessary.

The future change to BrightSpace will change things considerably, but this thread should be good for now.

This thread had inspiration from MrsBulletPoints' ENEB Master Thread:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-ENEB-Master-
Apart from Collage credits i have Texas Real estate license, do we get some transfer credit for those real estate classes taken? Also, What about transfer of credits for Texas Insurance licence holder? Thank you in Advance for your reply.
Sam K Wrote:Apart from Collage credits i have Texas Real estate license, do we get some transfer credit for those real estate classes taken? Also, What about transfer of credits for Texas Insurance licence holder? Thank you in Advance for your reply.

You might want to create a new thread with the addendum and template, if you're in Texas still, you may want to see if the TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership may work for you (or another option they have), UMPI is a great institution, but they're not local. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Name: MAT 140 Mathematics for Business
Subject: Math
Instructor: Trudel
Number of Milestone Activities: 5
Type of Milestone Activities: 4-9 math questions
Type of Final Assessment: Powerpoint with voiceover answering payroll questions
Notes & Overall Thoughts: This was an easy class and can be finished quickly. I finished the milestones all within several hours, and then the powerpoint was done the next day.

Name: BUS 200 Intermediate Business Computing
Instructor: Humphrey
Number of Milestone Activities: 3
Type of Milestone Activities: Word brochure, Excel, and PowerPoint
Type of Final Assessment: Completing the word, excel and powerpoint documents
Notes & Overall Thoughts: This was a fairly easy class. The milestones were easy – basically just a small portion of what would eventually become the final. If you’re familiar with these applications you should be able to get through it quickly

Name: BUS 260 Leadership
Instructor: Richards
Long or Short?: Medium
Type of Milestone Activities: short essays on the personality tests you take throughout the course
Type of Final Assessment: I THINK it was a 1500 work required essay. A lot of the milestone info feeds into the final
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Loved this class! Lots of great information on leadership.

Name: BUS 343 Project Risk and Cost Management
Number of Milestone Activities: 4
Type of Milestone Activities: Powerpoints with voiceover, infographic with voiceover, and a paper
Type of Final Assessment: Risk Management Case Study
Notes & Overall Thoughts: I learned a lot about risk management in this class. Dr. Trudel is very passionate about the subjects he teaches and he requires a lot of information. He likes to use the feedback “needs more depth”, and it can be frustrating because it feels like no matter what you do nothing is ever good enough.

Name: BUS 469 Strategic Professional Communications
Instructor: Lynds
Number of Milestone Activities: 3 or 4
Type of Milestone Activities: Short answer – 2-3 sentences
Type of Final Assessment: Power Point with VoiceOver and video, and a paper
Notes & Overall Thoughts: The milestones are quick, but the final took me a few days. She’s a great professor and I really enjoyed this class.

Name: HTY 489 – Infectious Diseases
Subject: History
Instructor: Zaborney
Number of Milestone Activities: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: Papers that will feed into the final
Type of Final Assessment: Paper
Notes & Overall Thoughts: I took this class because I needed one to meet my 10 residency requirements. I’m glad I took it, I learned a lot of information I didn’t know about pandemics throughout history. It was very interesting – I encourage you to take this course if you need an elective.

Name: BUS 400 Project Management Applications
Instructor: Dorsey
Number of Milestone Activities: 1
Type of Milestone Activities: 3-4 paragraph paper on your projects that you’ve worked on
Type of Final Assessment: Project Outline
Notes & Overall Thoughts: This class is easy if you’ve helped manage a project before, you can use any type of project, I used a graduation party that I planned.

Name: BUS 401 Advanced Project Management Applications
Instructor: Dorsey
Number of Milestone Activities: 1
Type of Milestone Activities: 3-4 paragraph paper on your projects that you’ve worked on
Type of Final Assessment: Project Outline
Notes & Overall Thoughts: This class is easy if you’ve helped manage a project before, you can use any type of project.

Name: BUS 440 Business Analytics
Instructor: Winslow
Type of Milestone Activities: 1-2 page papers
Type of Final Assessment: 2-3000 word paper
Notes & Overall Thoughts: I was so scared to take his class because other people have had issues getting their milestones returned. However, he didn’t return any of mine and didn’t critique them. I'm glad I decided to take this class at UMPI because I really enjoyed the material.

Name: BUS 325 Financial Management
Number of Milestone Activities: 7
Type of Milestone Activities: 3 Powerpoints with voiceover, 1 Infographic, 1 paper, 1 excel, 1 short answer,
Type of Final Assessment: Powerpoint w/ voiceover
Notes & Overall Thoughts: This class took me the longest of all. It took me 4-5 hours for each milestone and about 6-7 hours on the final. I enjoyed it though because I learned a lot about calculating bonds and net present value.
[-] The following 6 users Like lorie424's post:
  • gamebradie, jonharrington910, origamishuttle, Pikachu, RosJaq, tlassit018
Thank you for sharing! This will be very helpful for new students trying to plan out their degrees.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,643 8 hours ago
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 5 195 Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Personal Progress Thread DavidGood 24 1,317 10-14-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Samhain408
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,194 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  Any BUS class to add before the term ends? seven9781 7 272 10-09-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 453 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 404 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,257 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,200 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 299 09-27-2024, 09:24 AM