Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA History (Experienced student)
Hi all,

STEM background with BS/MS/doctorate and almost a complete MA in Classics/Ancient history. I want a BA in history to round things out.

Couple questions:

1. I am considering other online history programs like SNHU, IU, OSU,  ASU, LSU ect. Is there anything that stands out about UMPI? I get its competency-based, but I don't want to just blow through it to get a degree. I want to learn. I have my career, this is just for personal growth.

2. I reviewed the gen eds and it seems like I am just missing a couple including a language. I have read on here that Sophis is ideal. Is that still the case? I also need a hands-on art class haha. I avoided that one years ago with Art history. Is UMPI better for this?

3. I am assuming all of my credits will transfer. Given that, I have 30 credits I need to take. I prefer HIST over Poly sci. Any classes that people enjoyed? Or is the selection pretty meager? I saw the list and it doesn't seem to change? I am an ancient history guy and I saw there weren't a ton of different offerings.

4. Anything else for me???

Thanks
1) UMPI is very beloved because allows you to go quick and incur in less expenses. You can go more slow and pay more... if you really want to taste it maybe the better is go somewhere you can take one subject a time and spend time in it. All that said, UMPI has also normal online courses, where you can do one course at a time or more over several months. The issue here is that is that this way is more expensive. If you really want to go at your own pace you have a lot of options.

2) If you go to UMPI and have another degree general ed courses are waived. If you have for some reason to take art history I and II remember that SOPHIA has these courses. They are not bad there and you make them at your own pace for cheap. You have the notes and go learning one question at a time with the theory written besides and audios. Later you do exams of each section and a final exam.

3) Don't assume that all your credits will transfer. Each university has their own politics. Sometimes very generous, other very restrictive. If we are talking about UMPI you will have to do 30 credits with them, no matter what. Most of them in the major your selected and upper level. Also since you have another bachelor they will wave you the general education requirements. If you like more History over Pol Sci You can go the history route and most subjects will be there. I think you still have to take some pol sci subjects, but please check it on their website or wait and somebody will comment on that one.
(08-05-2023, 12:46 AM)Kab Wrote: 1) UMPI is very beloved because allows you to go quick and incur in less expenses. You can go more slow and pay more... if you really want to taste it maybe the better is go somewhere you can take one subject a time and spend time in it. All that said, UMPI has also normal online courses, where you can do one course at a time or more over several months. The issue here is that is that this way is more expensive. If you really want to go at your own pace you have a lot of options.

2) If you go to UMPI and have another degree general ed  courses are waived. If you have for some reason to take art history I and II remember that SOPHIA has these courses. They are not bad there and you make them at your own pace for cheap. You have the notes and go learning one question at a time with the theory written besides and audios. Later you do exams of each section and a final exam.

3) Don't assume that all your credits will transfer. Each university has their own politics. Sometimes very generous, other very restrictive. If we are talking about UMPI you will have to do 30 credits with them, no matter what. Most of them in the major your selected and upper level. Also since you have another bachelor they will wave you the general education requirements. If you like more History over Pol Sci You can go the history route and most subjects will be there. I think you still have to take some pol sci subjects, but please check it on their website or wait and somebody will comment on that one.

Good point. I went through and matched my classes (I have 180 from undergrad alone) and they all matched up to the objectives listed. Other than the language and 2D Obj art class. But I guess there is always a chance they reject it. I planned on doing 30 minimum. Is Sophia still ideal for language too?

Yeah I understand its geared towards fast-paced otherwise you are just wasting money. It would be nice to see how the modules actually work. Are there any videos or teasers out there?
Sophia is best for language, yes. Unless you are fluent in something, then you should wait until the ACTFL exams are once again ACE-recommended.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
As you already have a bachelor's degree, you won't have to complete the GEC or the gen eds. You'd just have to complete the major requirements. Yes, you can focus on history instead of poli sci.
Anyone have insight into the quality of the Greek/Roman class? Medieval class?
@Duneranger, Wow, you already have a trifecta of degrees and almost done with that second Masters?! Great job, that's pretty awesome... I've taken history courses before and the closest subjects that interest me the most to history, was Intro to Anthropology and Intro to Archeology.

It's interesting that you're keeping up with your subjects that intrigue you, for me, history is probably my worst subject as I can't remember dates well, otherwise it's alright I guess, I don't mind learning about some areas or topics in history, it's the dates that get to me... Did you apply to the program at UMPI yet?

For Your Pace students, you have a list of courses to select from. Your previous degrees should generate enough transfers, including exceptions/waivers, and you'll probably have 90 credits max and will need to do the remaining 30 credits at UMPI to finish off the degree requirements.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-05-2023, 11:44 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @Duneranger, Wow, you already have a trifecta of degrees and almost done with that second Masters?!  Great job, that's pretty awesome... I've taken history courses before and the closest subjects that interest me the most to history, was Intro to Anthropology and Intro to Archeology.

It's interesting that you're keeping up with your subjects that intrigue you, for me, history is probably my worst subject as I can't remember dates well, otherwise it's alright I guess, I don't mind learning about some areas or topics in history, it's the dates that get to me... Did you apply to the program at UMPI yet?

For Your Pace students, you have a list of courses to select from.  Your previous degrees should generate enough transfers, including exceptions/waivers, and you'll probably have 90 credits max and will need to do the remaining 30 credits at UMPI to finish off the degree requirements.

Thanks! Yeah the STEM degrees took nearly 10 years with a year long fellowship. I feel long in the tooth!

But my passion is history, not STEM. STEM just pays well haha...I did apply!

That's good to hear, I am wondering how long it takes for them to eval credits? Did you enjoy those anthro/archaeology course? Guessing they were at UMPI.

I am assuming I will need an actual art class (2D). Are there sophia recs or should I just take it at UMPI?

I saw TESU has a history degree, I wonder how it compares to UMPI?

I am also military too which might make a difference.
(08-05-2023, 04:43 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Thanks! Yeah the STEM degrees took nearly 10 years with a year long fellowship. I feel long in the tooth!

That's good to hear, I am wondering how long it takes for them to eval credits? Did you enjoy those anthro/archaeology course? Guessing they were at UMPI.

I am assuming I will need an actual art class (2D). Are there sophia recs or should I just take it at UMPI?

Again, you already have a bachelor's degree so you will not be completing the GEC. You won't do anything about 2D. 

It takes a few weeks for transcripts to be evaluated after you've been accepted.
(08-05-2023, 06:41 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-05-2023, 04:43 PM)Duneranger Wrote: Thanks! Yeah the STEM degrees took nearly 10 years with a year long fellowship. I feel long in the tooth!

Again, you already have a bachelor's degree so you will not be completing the GEC. You won't do anything about 2D. 

It takes a few weeks for transcripts to be evaluated after you've been accepted.

Understood, I wasn't aware that I was exempt if I already have a BA. I guess Spanish are all I have to do then!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 314 10-17-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 915 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Which History UL is the fastest? Aslulane 5 411 09-12-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
Question UMPI Questions (upcoming student ) MuneebAzhar 18 1,372 07-17-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MuneebAzhar
  Art class, Art History Sara143 31 3,033 07-04-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New student student777 2 426 03-13-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BA history help Ericfun3456 4 633 02-06-2024, 10:30 PM
  Do you need both Art History I & II to fulfill 2E requirement? Michelle779 7 783 01-19-2024, 12:50 PM
  Mayday! One more course for History minor: what are my options? Junco 5 661 12-03-2023, 07:36 PM
  Good UL credits on Brightspace? (not history/poli sci) umpidawg10 7 1,371 10-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: umpidawg10