Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI Class Review Master Thread
(07-21-2023, 07:39 AM)grogers14 Wrote: Notes & Overall Thoughts: Don’t be fooled by the 100-level or Intro title , this course is not easy. A lot of reading, a lot of concepts.

With UMPI, it's the other way around; we should expect 100-level courses to be very challenging. BUS 101 may be the only one that should be easy enough for anyone, but with the move to Brightspace, this may change too!
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • Pikachu
Name: BUS 412 Supplier Relationship Management 
Subject: Business 
Semester/Term: Summer 2 2023 
Instructor: Michaud 
Long or Short?:Medium
Number of Outcomes: 4
Adaptive Outcomes?: No 
Number of Milestone Activities: 4
Type of Milestone Activities: 250-500 word responses to questions in regards to an article, video, or some content shared in the course. 
Type of Final Assessment:
5 Item Final Assessment Project

-Create a scenario of a company and a supplier (1 Page)
-Create an outline of a supplier qualification plan (1-2 Pages)
-Create the Supplier Qualification Plan (7-10 Pages) 
-Create a Powerpoint Presentation Outline for presenting your plan (1-2 Pages)
-Create a Powerpoint Presentation with narration presenting your plan (10-15 Slides)

Notes & Overall Thoughts:

So, I’ve worked in Manufacturing and have done supplier quality for several years, so , this class was a breeze FOR ME .

I would call this class Medium length, because not a high number of outcomes and not a lot of quizzes/concepts, but the assignment could take some time.

The final assignment instructions are nice and specific , and if you look carefully at the verbiage in the instructions, you can find what concepts the proff wants you to demonstrate an understanding of in your assignment. 
[-] The following 3 users Like grogers14's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, Tswede
Name: POS 370 – European Governments and the EU
Subject: Political Science
Semester/Term: Summer 2 2023
Instructor: Zaborney
Long or Short?: Short
Number of Outcomes: 3 real, 1 references 
Adaptive Outcomes?: Yes
Number of Milestone Activities: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: Short essay
Type of Final Assessment: 1500 word essay
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Pretty easy milestones and final essay covering EU and NATO history.  Final covers the history of EU and NATO plus an analysis of issues facing both.  All graded within 24 hours.  I was born and raised in the EU and served in the military there, so the subject may have come more naturally to me than perhaps it would for someone without that background.  I enjoyed this class, wrote 15+ pages for the final just because.
Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Applied Science, Minors: Management Info Systems & Political Science, summa cum laude
2022 Pierpont BOG AAS, Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
[-] The following 3 users Like Tswede's post:
  • Leo Wu, origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: POS/HTY 439: Vietnam Wars
Subject: Political Science/History
Semester/Term: Summer Term 2 2023
Number of Outcomes: 2 
Adaptive Outcomes?: No
Type of Milestone Activities: 500 word responses
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Comparative history is the focus of this class, through the lens of the Vietnam War.  I procrastinated and didn’t get much done on this class at first.  Then I was able to finish the last milestone and write the final paper in 24 hours, along with taking another class start to finish over the same 24 hours.  I knew a lot about the Vietnam War already but it was an interesting refresher.
Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Applied Science, Minors: Management Info Systems & Political Science, summa cum laude
[-] The following 2 users Like Tswede's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: POS370: Topics in Non-Western History: Arab-Israeli
Subject: Political Science/History
Number of Outcomes: 2 real ones 
Number of Milestone Activities: 2 short essays
Type of Milestone Activities: 500 word essay
Type of Final Assessment:  1500 word essay
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Very easy course, I already knew most of this material and it was easy to do the milestones without having to read much in the material.  I read it for the final assessment to cite the sources.  Started and finished the whole course material in 24 hours, while working on another course at the same time.  Dr Z is quick to grade and reply to things, so it can move very quickly.
Completed
[-] The following 3 users Like Tswede's post:
  • Leo Wu, origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: BUS323 Fundamentals of Supply Chain MGMT 
Instructor: Good 
Long or Short?: Long 
Number of Outcomes: 7
Adaptive Outcomes?: Yes
Number of Milestone Activities: 3
Type of Milestone Activities: 250-500 word Essays/Short response 
Type of Final Assessment: 10-20 slide PowerPoint Project 

The FA is to make a powerpoint w/ voiceover analyzing the supply chain of a product.

The instructions for the final are vague, so in addition to the instructions,  these are the questions I asked myself to answer  and Dr. Good liked my draft and said to submit as is: 
  • What is your product? 
  • What is the history of the product ? 
  • What is the history of the company who owns/makes the product? 
  • What does the supply chain of the product look like? 
  • Create a supply chain process map .
  • How can outsourcing part of the supply chain be beneficial to your company and product? 
  • What is a specific area they can outsource that can be beneficial? 
  • How can offshoring part of the supply chain be beneficial to your company and product? 
  • What is a specific area they can offshore , or where specifically should the company offshore to and why ? 
  • Give 2 recommendations to the company to enhance the efficiency or reach of the supply chain of the product.
[-] The following 4 users Like grogers14's post:
  • kleine, origamishuttle, Pikachu, Tswede
Name: BUS440 Business Analytics (Strategic Development)
Instructor: Winslow 
Long or Short?: Short
Number of Outcomes: 3
Adaptive Outcomes?: Yes 
Number of Milestone Activities: 2
Type of Milestone Activities: 500-word response
Type of Final Assessment: 63 Question MC Exam 

This class is named correctly in strut but not in Maine Street. It has 0 to do with Business Analytics. I don’t know why they don’t just put this in as Strategic Development with its own course number , because it really has nothing to do with analytics. Despite what the catalog or UMPI webpages say, you don't need BUS244 to take this course in YourPace , you can ask for it to be added without that pre-req and the team will add it for you.

Copy all the results for all quizzes in a Google Doc/Word Doc and use them to study .

When you miss a question, there's a blurb that highlights why the correct answer was the correct answer which you can use to pinpoint where in the course materials to study.

With the adaptives, there's a question ‘bank’ for each concept/sub-concept . You will only get more of the questions from the ‘bank’ if you ‘fail’ the adaptive, so I recommend intentionally failing the quizzes maybe once or twice to try and get the most questions to add to your google/word doc . 
[-] The following 3 users Like grogers14's post:
  • Darknigh7, origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: BUS440: Business Analytics/Strategic Development
Subject: Business
Instructor: Winslow
Long or Short?: Medium to Long, there is a decent amount of content to read and quizzes to take
Number of Outcomes: 4 
Type of Milestone Activities: 500 word milestones
Type of Final Assessment: Final exam
Notes & Overall Thoughts: This course got terrible reports from previous semesters but I did not find it to be nearly as challenging as I feared.  The content is kind of dry and not particularly interesting to me, but I was able to get through it and score well on the test.  Read the test questions very carefully, to me some were worded in a very tricky way.  I am better at essays than tests though, so that may not apply to everyone.  A few of the questions in the test would be the same (or very similar) question three times in a row and made me doubt myself.  Milestones affirmed usually in 24-48 hours.
Completed
[-] The following 2 users Like Tswede's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
Name: POS 343 – Marxism
Subject: Political Science
Semester/Term: Summer 2 2023
Number of Outcomes: 3 real, 1 are you ready 
Type of Milestone Activities: Short essay, 500 words
Notes & Overall Thoughts: Pretty typical and straightforward Poli-Sci class with Zaborney.  Thought provoking milestones leading to straightforward essay analysis.  Assignments are affirmed or graded every morning, often even on weekends.  Very efficient class.
Completed
[-] The following 4 users Like Tswede's post:
  • Leo Wu, origamishuttle, Pikachu, RachelB
Thumbs Up 
Name: HTY489 History of Infectious Disease 
Subject: History 
Instructor: Zaborney 
Long or Short?: Short
Number of Outcomes: 3
Adaptive Outcomes?: No 
Type of Milestone Activities: Short Responses regarding the content. 
Type of Final Assessment: 1500-word Essay

If you are doing the BLS and need an easier 300-400 level class, take this one. It's short , it's not a complete history of infectious disease. Also , the final is very short , you just pick 3 diseases from the class, summarize them, and talk about their effects on society , culture, politics, and economics. So it's like three 500 word essays you lump into a single 1500 word essay .

This was actually my last class for my BLS Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin , but I will say this was probably my favorite just because medical history is a personal interest of mine. I've read books, watched documentaries, and listened to podcasts on the subject .
[-] The following 6 users Like grogers14's post:
  • gamebradie, Leo Wu, origamishuttle, Pikachu, RachelB, Tswede

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,642 8 hours ago
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 5 195 Yesterday, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Personal Progress Thread DavidGood 24 1,317 10-14-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Samhain408
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,194 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  Any BUS class to add before the term ends? seven9781 7 271 10-09-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 453 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 403 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,256 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 26 2,199 09-27-2024, 03:10 PM
  UMPI Courses With Test klone 1 299 09-27-2024, 09:24 AM