Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters Data Science
I have a lot of airline points and it's NU... ?
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(03-14-2023, 10:50 PM)ifomonay Wrote: This is rather intriguing. A Master's degree from Northwestern for $13k is a steal. I went to the website and saw today is the last day to apply. I was going to apply, but I have an issue. The link to the application doesn't go to the NU application system. I was really hesitant in entering personal information. Although I'm sure it's probably a third-party site that's authorized to process the application, it was enough to spook me. I don't want to risk giving out personal information that I can't trust. I tried to see if anywhere on the NU website (both SPS and the main website), and I see no references to this program. I'm just too paranoid. I applied to the UT Austin program about a week ago, but if I had a choice, I think NU is better than Austin.

It's legit.  It's the real Northwestern.  I also contacted the "real" Northwestern to verify. 

The application goes through to the "real" Northwestern application portal as well.  In fact, you have no choice but to do the application through the Northwestern portal.  After you click "apply" on the great learning webpage, you just enter your name and a few details. It will then redirect you to the Northwestern portal. If you don't see the Northwestern portal, you might be doing something wrong.

This will help put your mind at ease:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWmvnDzjz1k

Also, there are multiple intakes a year, so if you miss today's deadline, there is another one you can take. Suggest you contact the enrolment agent to understand more. It helped me better understand what this program is and how the admissions works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes smartdegree's post:
  • Pikachu
(03-14-2023, 08:05 PM)smartdegree Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 07:37 PM)Pats20 Wrote: I’m curious how long these residencies are ?

I think he said 3-5 days for each residency.

Heres more info 

It says that the residency is two days

"We are pleased to partner with our colleagues at Great Learning, who host DSP students for the two required 2-day residencies during terms four and six. Residencies are held at one of the Great Lakes Institute of Management campuses. " 
(03-14-2023, 11:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wait, this is a US based program, yet you have to take residencies by flying to India?  What's the logic in that?  Couldn't they create virtual residencies instead of having people fly to India?  If they create a cohort, and have people all complete the cohort residency online, it'll save everyone energy, money, time and be less of a hassle...
Yes. I don’t understand a US university requiring US students to travel across the world to India two different times for 2 days each.
(03-15-2023, 05:39 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 11:58 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wait, this is a US based program, yet you have to take residencies by flying to India?  What's the logic in that?  Couldn't they create virtual residencies instead of having people fly to India?  If they create a cohort, and have people all complete the cohort residency online, it'll save everyone energy, money, time and be less of a hassle...
Yes. I don’t understand a US university requiring US students to travel across the world to India two different times for 2 days each.

Mainly because this program originally targeted Indian students (whose salaries are probably 1/10 to 1/5 those of Americans).  It's actually a great thing that they are now opening up to non-Indian students. If one does not want the hassle of travel to India, US students are free to enrol in the primarily US-based online Northwestern program where you get the same exact degree for US$58,860.  

In MBA economics class, this concept is called price discrimination - a way to extract maximum value from customers based on their ability to pay.  

If Indians were asked to pay $58,000, that would be an exorbitant amount --- the equivalent to asking a US citizen to pay around $300K to $500K (which means Northwestern will get zero Indian students).  A similar concept is applied by some UK universities in terms of price discrimination based on origin country.
[-] The following 4 users Like smartdegree's post:
  • JPN, MrPanda, Pikachu, thunderstruck
(03-15-2023, 06:51 PM)smartdegree Wrote:
(03-15-2023, 05:39 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

Mainly because this program originally targeted Indian students (whose salaries are probably 1/10 to 1/5 those of Americans).   It's actually a great thing that they are now opening up to non-Indian students.  If one does not want the hassle of travel to India, US students are free to enrol in the primarily US-based online Northwestern program where you get the same exact degree for US$58,860.  

In MBA economics class, this concept is called price discrimination - a way to extract maximum value from customers based on their ability to pay.  

If Indians were asked to pay $58,000, that would be an exorbitant amount --- the equivalent to asking a US citizen to pay around $300K to $500K (which means Northwestern will get zero Indian students).  A similar concept is applied by some UK universities in terms of price discrimination based on origin country.

This!

University of London has the same type of approach where they categorise it by Band A and Band B countries, where, for example the Global MBA will cost you 5000 Pounds less if you're in a Band A country.

So in order to get to get the great price of $13 - $14k one will need to expend extra effort and take additional risk and even then it is still worth it IMO.
Okay. I get it. It’s a great deal for those who have the time, desire and means to do the residencies.
There are a few institutions that do this, including partnerships with Upgrad. I remember Upgrad has a DBA or Doctorate option and it's not available to individuals in the US. Another example is NationsU, NU also has a similar fee structure, only the top 35 countries are charged a tuition fee, anyone residing elsewhere outside the 35 countries get it FREE.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-16-2023, 03:27 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: There are a few institutions that do this, including partnerships with Upgrad.  I remember Upgrad has a DBA or Doctorate option and it's not available to individuals in the US.  Another example is NationsU, NU also has a similar fee structure, only the top 35 countries are charged a tuition fee, anyone residing elsewhere outside the 35 countries get it FREE.

I really like the NationsU approach - It makes college accessible to everyone (outside the 35 countries).

I need to look into Upgrad - sounds like they have a similar approach to Great Learning and others.
This one has the same idea as UpGrad:

https://mdi.com.pk/online/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Augusta U Online - $7-8k Masters Degrees!!! Captainrekt000 24 2,125 10-24-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: Courcelles
  European Center for Education in Business and Science (ECEBiS) Travis_CVUgrad 5 714 10-22-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 444 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  University of the Cumberlands - Masters in Data Science dleewo 0 204 10-09-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: dleewo
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 11 3,206 10-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Last Post: spohara
  "ACCREDITED CHEAPEST MASTERS" in the WORLD. +Online Degree Geonho Lee 21 3,177 09-29-2024, 11:00 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 10 1,793 09-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: ivanswk78
  UN Masters Degree online for <9K David1477 7 1,081 09-15-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  New Boston U MS Data Science $25K smartdegree 10 1,153 09-12-2024, 08:05 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Thoughts on LABASAD - Creative Online Masters - Escuela de Diseño Online magm 1 722 08-21-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Avidreader