Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which ONLINE college can I complete credits to obtain Bachelors fastest?
You should calculate whether it's cheaper to do a non-social work bachelor's plus a 60-credit MSW or a BSW and a 30 to 36-credit MSW. Generally, undergraduate tuition is cheaper, and advanced standing MSW programs require far fewer credits. Plus, if you qualify for the Pell Grant, you can only use it at the undergraduate level.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-17-2022, 12:16 PM)SmirkinCat Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 10:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, I merged the two threads, it's essentially the same info/questions: Bachelors > MSW > Licensure
Each person has their own scenario/situation or something, it all depends on you to complete the requirements of the degree. You may want to fill in the last post addendum here to give us more details, so we can provide appropriate advice: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Essentially, without more details from you, it's hard to decipher what Bachelors would be better for you as you're working full time.  I am hard pressed to recommend UMPI, I suggest Excelsior for max transfer of alternative credits and to take the 7 credits for residency requirements.  You must make sure to take prerequisite courses required for your Masters, you need to find a few of your choice so you know the requirements and take them.

I can take credits through excelsior while enrolled in UMPI?

You'd have to enroll at Excelsior to take classes there.

(08-17-2022, 01:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: You should calculate whether it's cheaper to do a non-social work bachelor's plus a 60-credit MSW or a BSW and a 30 to 36-credit MSW. Generally, undergraduate tuition is cheaper, and advanced standing MSW programs require far fewer credits. Plus, if you qualify for the Pell Grant, you can only use it at the undergraduate level.

There's also the time factor.
(08-17-2022, 03:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 12:16 PM)SmirkinCat Wrote:
(08-16-2022, 10:17 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @OP, I merged the two threads, it's essentially the same info/questions: Bachelors > MSW > Licensure
Each person has their own scenario/situation or something, it all depends on you to complete the requirements of the degree. You may want to fill in the last post addendum here to give us more details, so we can provide appropriate advice: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Essentially, without more details from you, it's hard to decipher what Bachelors would be better for you as you're working full time.  I am hard pressed to recommend UMPI, I suggest Excelsior for max transfer of alternative credits and to take the 7 credits for residency requirements.  You must make sure to take prerequisite courses required for your Masters, you need to find a few of your choice so you know the requirements and take them.

You'd have to enroll at Excelsior to take classes there.

(08-17-2022, 01:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: You should calculate whether it's cheaper to do a non-social work bachelor's plus a 60-credit MSW or a BSW and a 30 to 36-credit MSW. Generally, undergraduate tuition is cheaper, and advanced standing MSW programs require far fewer credits. Plus, if you qualify for the Pell Grant, you can only use it at the undergraduate level.

There's also the time factor.

Earning a BSW cuts a year off of the MSW. The OP potentially has 44 credits, but they would have to apply first to see what will transfer. There might be BSW programs that will allow the student to test out of general education courses. Either way, there's no getting around the practica.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(08-17-2022, 05:34 PM)sanantone Wrote: Earning a BSW cuts a year off of the MSW. The OP potentially has 44 credits, but they would have to apply first to see what will transfer. There might be BSW programs that will allow the student to test out of general education courses. Either way, there's no getting around the practica.

And how long would it take to complete a BSW versus say the BLS at UMPI? The BLS at UMPI can be completed in under 6 months. Doubtful that a BSW can be completed in that timeframe.

The issue is going to be getting those clinical hours in.  If you need to work to live, then getting the hours you need for the BSW may be almost impossible to do.

But, if you get a fast, inexpensive bachelor's degree, you can then work and save up for the MSW - and while you're at it, you may even be able to get better paying jobs because you have a degree.  Getting the BSW first means you are stuck for a good long while, and then you come out with a degree that is almost (but not quite) meaningless.  You almost HAVE to get a MSW afterwards for it to have any value.

But I agree that you need to find the combination that works best, and makes the most of your available time/money/effort now and in the future.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SmirkinCat Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:@OP, I merged the two threads, it's essentially the same info/questions: Bachelors > MSW > Licensure

What I meant by 'hard pressed' is that it's not advisable to recommend UMPI because you're working full time. Instead, I mentioned that I recommend Excelsior University... The main reason is because you're working full time, depending on your budget, commitments, and other variables, Excelsior may be the better choice as they only need 7 credits residency requirements, the 113 credits can be transferred in through self-paced ACE/NCCRS credit providers.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-17-2022, 05:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 05:34 PM)sanantone Wrote: Earning a BSW cuts a year off of the MSW. The OP potentially has 44 credits, but they would have to apply first to see what will transfer. There might be BSW programs that will allow the student to test out of general education courses. Either way, there's no getting around the practica.

And how long would it take to complete a BSW versus say the BLS at UMPI? The BLS at UMPI can be completed in under 6 months. Doubtful that a BSW can be completed in that timeframe.

Most people don't complete competency-based bachelor's programs in six months. Most don't even complete them in one year. 

(08-17-2022, 06:08 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

The issue is going to be getting those clinical hours in.  If you need to work to live, then getting the hours you need for the BSW may be almost impossible to do.

But, if you get a fast, inexpensive bachelor's degree, you can then work and save up for the MSW - and while you're at it, you may even be able to get better paying jobs because you have a degree.  Getting the BSW first means you are stuck for a good long while, and then you come out with a degree that is almost (but not quite) meaningless.  You almost HAVE to get a MSW afterwards for it to have any value.

But I agree that you need to find the combination that works best, and makes the most of your available time/money/effort now and in the future.

You're still going to need two practicums for the MSW if you don't have a BSW. Advanced standing programs typically require one practicum. A liberal studies degree might or might not lead to a higher-paying job, but the pay will rarely be high enough to allow for significant savings, especially if one is working in human services. 

I'm not saying the BSW to MSW path definitively makes better sense, but it should be considered along with accelerated BSW/MSW joint programs in which some of your courses will count toward the BSW and MSW. Of course, New York doesn't appear to have a BSW license like some other states do, but they do have job openings looking for BSWs. A worksite practicum is an option for MSW students if their employer has a qualified social work supervisor.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(08-18-2022, 01:22 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 05:49 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

Most people don't complete competency-based bachelor's programs in six months. Most don't even complete them in one year. 

The OP already has 44 credits. So they're not starting from scratch. We have had many people on here complete their UMPI degree in 6 months who start with nothing. I have not seen anyone take a year to complete their degree at UMPI.
(08-14-2022, 12:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
louise Wrote:You can't become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with an MA in psychology. Also, no BSW is going to be super quick. It requires hundreds of hours of internship experience as does the MSW.

carrythenothing Wrote:Depending on the state, you'll need a certain number of supervised clinical hours after graduating with your MSW to become an LCSW/LICSW.

Social work regulations and licensure/registration requirements: https://www.aswb.org/regulation/laws-and...-database/

studyingfortests Wrote:As far as MSW programs, I did a ton of research and ultimately chose Western New Mexico U.  It's a CSWE accredited school, fully online/asynchronous, with extremely flexible options, more electives than many of its competitors, 6 start dates each year, and a completely flexible curriculum as far as how many courses and in what order you take them.

In addition to the above, I would recommend you take a look at a few MSW programs and write down the majority of their requirements. Your main goal is to complete the required Bachelors for entry, it doesn't have to be a BSW if you want a quicker way to get the check the box Bachelors.   WNMU is a good school, there is another one I would recommend is Eastern University for about the same price range and also completely online.  In short, Bachelors> MSW> License requirements

Eastern University doesn't meet the requirements for NY, they are very transparent on this - https://www.eastern.edu/about/accreditat...l-work-msw. I can't speak to the program at WNMU, it doesn't list this information anywhere that I can see.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(09-05-2022, 11:19 AM)allvia Wrote: I can't speak to the program at WNMU, it doesn't list this information anywhere that I can see.

https://socialwork.wnmu.edu/about/social...sclosures/

Quote:MSW: Western New Mexico University’s Master’s of Social Work meets professional licensure standards for the state of New York and is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
[-] The following 1 user Likes carrythenothing's post:
  • allvia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Degree Planning Guidance intergalacticyam 6 260 09-19-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Beginner's Guide to College Degrees - Compact and Concise Revised Version bjcheung77 8 1,041 09-17-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: wow
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 12 1,452 09-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: RejuvenationOclock
  recommendation for fastest bachelor degree? BrendaB 4 310 09-13-2024, 08:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LVN/LPN to RN - options for (mostly) online education? studyingfortests 18 2,026 09-13-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: AaronGibson
  HELP!!!!!! Old Transfer Credits Kimbap 3 180 09-11-2024, 02:35 PM
  Electronics degree online msa145 5 332 09-08-2024, 11:42 PM
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 632 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Trying for Excelsior criminal justice with transfer credits and using Sophia mikefrank113 0 187 08-30-2024, 09:11 PM
Last Post: mikefrank113
Big Grin Speedy and Inexpensive Bachelors ATM925 7 969 08-25-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: ATM925