Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are alternative credits only an American thing?
If you include AP as alternative credits, there are IB and Cambridge programs.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
I have worked in higher ed in the UK, Germany and the US. The reference to Germany is near-universal in Europe because of the Bologna process that standardized education across the EU (exception: France, who are always on their own bullsh*t). Some thoughts.

US degrees are far less specialized than the UK and the EU. If you were to study mathematics, for example, one of the first classes many students take in their first year is linear algebra, just as an illustrative example. Calculus 1,2,3 or so are high school subjects, and Algebra, Trig, Geometry are mandatory by 16 because general high school is finished at 16. I use mathematics as an example but you can extrapolate to other subjects. The point is that because of this specialization there are few electives outside of your "major", and no "gen eds". All of that must be handled before you *get* to university.

From 16-18 students in the UK do A Levels, in Germany they do Abitur, in other EU countries for university-bound students there are similar programs and the IB is, of course, multi-national. These give you gen ed and elective college credit in the US. They get you *into* university in the UK and Europe (and Australia). They are different to AP in that each qualification has multiple classes with multiple exams (and they are not multiple choice). For example, one A Level in Economics may consist of three or so classes on micro, macro, international economics etc. depending on exam board, an A Level in maths has four core papers (roughly covering Calc 1-3), and two electives from discrete maths 1,2 and stats 1,2 and mechanics 1,2. Germany's Abitur is slightly broader than A levels but no less depth. I have no idea how Germans survive to adulthood. The point is that once you are at university you only take classes in your major for three years and usually graduate with an honours degree (not the same as Latin honors, think honors college). This is less time than the US, but only because you have already done the gen ed type classes before arriving. Schools in the US that facilitate on-site dual enrollment in high school are moving along similar lines.

Since we only take courses in our major, which generally build on each other, there is not really much scope for alt credit here. There are no gen eds or electives to test out of. You can of course also transfer credits between universities though, which is made easier by the ECTS system. In terms of acceleration, however, there are formal programs to accelerate your degree in the UK. These courses run year-round including summer sessions, for example, and so you graduate in two years rather than three. In Germany and some other European countries, there is no restriction on how many classes you sit in a given year. Do you want to sign up for 10 in a semester and do two semesters' worth of work? Go for it. The real key here is there isn't typically busy work, homework, and assignments due. Just one long answer three-hour or so final exam. You could sign up for it the week before if you like even if you didn't attend the class all semester. Functionally it works similarly to taking a CLEP or UExcel.

But alt credit as Americans think of it only exists to get you into university (diplomas, certificates, access routes, degree apprenticeships etc) which allow you to start in year 2 of 3, for example. Your degree will reflect that. A google search for "top up" degrees should give you an idea. The credits don't transfer in. They are exceptions rather than replacements and are qualifications in their own right.

(08-10-2022, 11:39 AM)sanantone Wrote: If you include AP as alternative credits, there are IB and Cambridge programs.

These are what we take to get into university, however, and are not worth "credit".
[-] The following 2 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • Ideas, Jonathan Whatley
Basically, there are so many educational systems out there that do things so radically different. UK has the top up options, you can ladder non-vocational level 5 & 6 diploma into Bachelors, and level 7 into Masters. I haven't seen many do level 8's and ladder them to a Doctorate though... HW (Heriot Watt) has the option to "test out of" their Masters, such as the MBA, MSc Financial Management and so on...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • elcastor21
(08-10-2022, 04:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:  HW (Heriot Watt) has the option to "test out of" their Masters, such as the MBA, MSc Financial Management and so on...

The only relevant things they say on the site are: 

(1) That you schedule the exams when you feel you're ready. I guess if you feel ready, you could schedule it on Day 1 and write it about a month or two later, depending on the schedule of exams. Don't think it's done much. This is hard stuff. School is known for tough exams.
You've paid for tuition.You won't save money by skipping it and the likelihood of passing is seriously compromised.

(2) The degree CANNOT BE COMPLETED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. They simply won't allow it. They say so.

Where do you get this "testing out" info? Nothing else on the site. This is a GRAD DEGREE at a tough, Scottish school with high standards.
It is NOT a weekend, "LOL & he-he-he, let's mosey on down and take a stab at a CLEP" adventure. No Groupon, either. Serious money at stake.
I wish more schools utilized ACE credits. My spouse completed 12 hours through Sophia and our local community college did not accept them in transfer because they don't accept ACE recommendations. However, there may be a loophole I may try to exploit to see would they accept ACE recommendations as transfer credits awarded by other regionally accredited schools. If not, we plan to do a PLA portfolio assessment which will use the ACE transcript and badge as evidence for credit.
(08-14-2022, 05:28 PM)cacoleman1983 Wrote: I wish more schools utilized ACE credits.  My spouse completed 12 hours through Sophia and our local community college did not accept them in transfer because they don't accept ACE recommendations.  However,  there may be a loophole I may try to exploit to see would they accept ACE recommendations as transfer credits awarded by other regionally accredited schools.  If not, we plan to do a PLA portfolio assessment which will use the ACE transcript and badge as evidence for credit.

Are they in a specialized program? I ask because, I'm wondering why not just go for the Pierpont BOG AAS?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-14-2022, 05:28 PM)cacoleman1983 Wrote: I wish more schools utilized ACE credits.  My spouse completed 12 hours through Sophia and our local community college did not accept them in transfer because they don't accept ACE recommendations.  However,  there may be a loophole I may try to exploit to see would they accept ACE recommendations as transfer credits awarded by other regionally accredited schools.  If not, we plan to do a PLA portfolio assessment which will use the ACE transcript and badge as evidence for credit.

Change schools to one that will take ACE.  Why waste your time/money on ACE credits if you already know your school won't accept them?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-14-2022, 05:28 PM)cacoleman1983 Wrote: I wish more schools utilized ACE credits. My spouse completed 12 hours through Sophia and our local community college did not accept them in transfer because they don't accept ACE recommendations. However, there may be a loophole I may try to exploit to see would they accept ACE recommendations as transfer credits awarded by other regionally accredited schools. If not, we plan to do a PLA portfolio assessment which will use the ACE transcript and badge as evidence for credit.

If the PLA costs more than an associates at Pierpont BOG AAS (fee for transcripts), I'd recommend them instead...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-10-2022, 01:23 PM)sarahmac Wrote: I have worked in higher ed in the UK, Germany and the US. The reference to Germany is near-universal in Europe because of the Bologna process that standardized education across the EU (exception: France, who are always on their own bullsh*t). Some thoughts.

US degrees are far less specialized than the UK and the EU. If you were to study mathematics, for example, one of the first classes many students take in their first year is linear algebra, just as an illustrative example. Calculus 1,2,3 or so are high school subjects, and Algebra, Trig, Geometry are mandatory by 16 because general high school is finished at 16. I use mathematics as an example but you can extrapolate to other subjects. The point is that because of this specialization there are few electives outside of your "major", and no "gen eds". All of that must be handled before you *get* to university.

From 16-18 students in the UK do A Levels, in Germany they do Abitur, in other EU countries for university-bound students there are similar programs and the IB is, of course, multi-national. These give you gen ed and elective college credit in the US. They get you *into* university in the UK and Europe (and Australia). They are different to AP in that each qualification has multiple classes with multiple exams (and they are not multiple choice). For example, one A Level in Economics may consist of three or so classes on micro, macro, international economics etc. depending on exam board, an A Level in maths has four core papers (roughly covering Calc 1-3), and two electives from discrete maths 1,2 and stats 1,2 and mechanics 1,2. Germany's Abitur is slightly broader than A levels but no less depth. I have no idea how Germans survive to adulthood. The point is that once you are at university you only take classes in your major for three years and usually graduate with an honours degree (not the same as Latin honors, think honors college). This is less time than the US, but only because you have already done the gen ed type classes before arriving. Schools in the US that facilitate on-site dual enrollment in high school are moving along similar lines.

Since we only take courses in our major, which generally build on each other, there is not really much scope for alt credit here. There are no gen eds or electives to test out of. You can of course also transfer credits between universities though, which is made easier by the ECTS system. In terms of acceleration, however, there are formal programs to accelerate your degree in the UK. These courses run year-round including summer sessions, for example, and so you graduate in two years rather than three. In Germany and some other European countries, there is no restriction on how many classes you sit in a given year. Do you want to sign up for 10 in a semester and do two semesters' worth of work? Go for it. The real key here is there isn't typically busy work, homework, and assignments due. Just one long answer three-hour or so final exam. You could sign up for it the week before if you like even if you didn't attend the class all semester. Functionally it works similarly to taking a CLEP or UExcel.

But alt credit as Americans think of it only exists to get you into university (diplomas, certificates, access routes, degree apprenticeships etc) which allow you to start in year 2 of 3, for example. Your degree will reflect that. A google search for "top up" degrees should give you an idea. The credits don't transfer in. They are exceptions rather than replacements and are qualifications in their own right.

(08-10-2022, 11:39 AM)sanantone Wrote: If you include AP as alternative credits, there are IB and Cambridge programs.

These are what we take to get into university, however, and are not worth "credit".

Great info.

(08-10-2022, 10:05 PM)Johann Wrote:
(08-10-2022, 04:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:  HW (Heriot Watt) has the option to "test out of" their Masters, such as the MBA, MSc Financial Management and so on...

The only relevant things they say on the site are: 

(1) That you schedule the exams when you feel you're ready. I guess if you feel ready, you could schedule it on Day 1 and write it about a month or two later, depending on the schedule of exams. Don't think it's done much. This is hard stuff. School is known for tough exams.
You've paid for tuition.You won't save money by skipping it and the likelihood of passing is seriously compromised.

(2) The degree CANNOT BE COMPLETED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. They simply won't allow it. They say so.

Where do you get this "testing out" info? Nothing else on the site. This is a GRAD DEGREE at a tough, Scottish school with high standards.
It is NOT a weekend, "LOL & he-he-he, let's mosey on down and take a stab at a CLEP" adventure. No Groupon, either. Serious money at stake.

It's not exactly a test-out option. For all but three courses, an exam is the only method of assessment. 

Assessment Policies
With the exception of the two entrepreneurship courses and the project, all courses are examined by written examination. Assessment includes objective questions (where appropriate), case studies and essays. All courses are examined three times per year aligned to Heriot-Watt University's two semesters and the summer period.

The pass mark for all courses is 50%. A candidate must pass all required course units to be eligible for an award. Failing candidates are allowed a single resit in each course.

Awards with Distinction will be made to candidates completing an award with average marks of 70% and over with no examination failures. Awards with Merit will be made to candidates completing an award with average marks between 60% and 69% with no examination failures.

Assessment for H11PJ, H11EN, H11EV, H11BP is by 100% coursework. One re-assessment opportunity is permitted (coursework re-submission).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(08-10-2022, 09:39 AM)debrag Wrote: Yeah UK degrees are very structured, with few options and you can't really fast forward through them. Not alt credits possible etc.

UK degrees have the option of Level 5 cert and then top it up with the last year of a bachelor

Total time of completion around 22 months.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheap, easy graded credits for increasing GPA. Treach 9 863 09-05-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  Does any institution apply over 90 transfer credits? hlg38 7 742 08-24-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Transferring credits ecomony 8 411 08-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Question about TESC credits robertturner 0 218 07-25-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: robertturner
  Transfer Credits for Certificates 3ichael7ambert 9 923 05-30-2024, 08:16 PM
  American Public University? nomaduser 44 6,124 05-18-2024, 05:41 PM
  So... I Asked IU if they accept ACE credits, they do! elcastor21 22 3,091 05-15-2024, 04:02 AM
Last Post: Travellifter
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 55 9,590 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  Best Options For Fast Credits harrypotter 11 1,074 05-10-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: harrypotter
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 2,526 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd