Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth taking an extra term for GPA reasons?
I plan on reaching my 30 RA credit requirement entirely by taking six classes and four teceps. I can take two terms to obtain 18 credits of classes. I don't know if I can do six classes including the capstone in one term and keep a solid GPA. I also can take an extra term to complete my teceps as epack courses since they are graded. Is it worth it to spread it out with how expensive a term is? Taking the most conservative route will be three terms.
It depends on how much you want to spend. Most people are doing the single 16cr term to save money, so spreading it out nullifies the entire reason you were going to do that. I personally wouldn't do more than 1 term unless I was getting it paid for some way other than out of pocket - so tuition reimbursement or Pell grants.

Instead, I would probably look at UMPI or EC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-09-2022, 07:22 AM)IAMAMENACE Wrote: I also can take an extra term to complete my teceps as epack courses since they are graded.

e-Pack courses are pass/fail.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
Further to that, you may want to provide us more details by following this thread, the more information beyond the template would provide us more details to assist you in your situation, such as your budget, commitments, dedicated time to study, time line you want to accomplish this educational journey : https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Do you feel comfortable writing a longer paper now, or would you be learning as you go? I think that is important. I think most people wouldn't keep their GPA high even if they are fine with writing papers.

Are you needing GPA for a competitive grad school? That's generally the only reason to need a good GPA.

(04-09-2022, 09:54 AM)carrythenothing Wrote:
(04-09-2022, 07:22 AM)IAMAMENACE Wrote: I also can take an extra term to complete my teceps as epack courses since they are graded.

e-Pack courses are pass/fail.

Yes, e-Pack courses don't affect your GPA one way or another.  I missed that.  The only courses you'll get graded on are actual courses at TESU (online or Guided Study).
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If your goal is to avoid the TESU residency waiver and get graded RA credits while maintaining a similar timeline, it might also make more sense to get 12 of the credits at a different RA school. It'll depend on what you already have and what you need.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(04-09-2022, 01:29 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: If your goal is to avoid the TESU residency waiver and get graded RA credits while maintaining a similar timeline, it might also make more sense to get 12 of the credits at a different RA school. It'll depend on what you already have and what you need.

A cheaper option would be ONU - and they're self-paced, meaning you can take as long as you'd like; AND you don't pay for the course until you know what your grade will be at the end.  So anything you struggle with, you can drop, and it won't be on a transcript at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
One thing you can do if you're feeling overwhelmed, is file for an extension on the capstone. That way you can get all the other courses finished up, then concentrate on finishing your capstone paper. There are specific rules for this, you'll want to be familiar with them: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...Extensions

Also, if you ever find yourself getting behind, be sure to message the professor before missing any assignment deadlines. If you miss an assignment deadline without prior approval, the Prof is required to dock points by school policy. If you arrange it in advance, then they may not dock you anything,
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
12 week terms (versus 15 week) really make a difference.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 Free TECEPs for June Term MissRN 5 818 06-18-2024, 04:06 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 1,479 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Taking Math Courses at TESU legenwait4itdary 5 1,031 02-02-2024, 12:32 PM
  Taking CS AOS at TESU daniart09 2 492 01-20-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Two capstones in one term Yenisei 4 758 01-19-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 1,130 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  Two Capstones and Cornerstone in one term? TESU BUS-421, LIB-495, & SOS-110. CanICode 11 2,116 07-24-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: CanICode
  Advice: Taking a bunch of writing TECEPs tomorrow. CanICode 10 1,813 05-28-2023, 06:31 PM
  Is it worth debating how RA transfer credits come in? AnalysisParalysis 4 781 05-24-2023, 02:07 PM
  16 Credit Term Plan what do you think? mt_1994 6 1,007 03-20-2023, 01:51 PM