Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lib Arts Health + Wellness Concentration
When it comes to the concentrations, when it specifies course numbers like that, you usually can't just substitute willy-nilly. It has to come in as those specific courses and On the bright side, if he takes everything in the concentration except for BIO-208 at TESU (BIO-208 is, indeed, available at SDC) then he won't have to pay the residency waiver. But that's not going to be cheap or fast. If he wants cheap and fast, he'll have to pick a different concentration. A 2-credit LL course will absolutely NOT work when you need a 3 credit UL course.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-19-2021, 12:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote: When it comes to the concentrations, when it specifies course numbers like that, you usually can't just substitute willy-nilly. It has to come in as those specific courses and On the bright side, if he takes everything in the concentration except for BIO-208 at TESU (BIO-208 is, indeed, available at SDC) then he won't have to pay the residency waiver. But that's not going to be cheap or fast. If he wants cheap and fast, he'll have to pick a different concentration. A 2-credit LL course will absolutely NOT work when you need a 3 credit UL course.

Okay, that's a lot of food for thought...a little overwhelming, in fact.  Thank you for giving me more information!  I don't really know what XAMK is all about, sounds neat and also extremely intimidating.  So, are Clark and City College only offering LL classes that wouldn't work, then?  Right, he'll have some choices to make, for sure.  Either he changes his concentration/degree choice or he chooses this one and it takes longer and will cost more.  Thank you, I really appreciate the input!

I did have another question about this!  On the TESU website it shows the 6 "concentration" courses and then says AND complete an additional 12 credits of Liberal Studies courses.  Can he just fill those with Sophia courses?  Are those "additional 12 credits of Liberal Studies courses" something special or different?  He's done quite a few Sophia courses and still going strong on them.  Thanks!!
The Liberal Studies classes could be anything at Sophia that works as a General Ed elective. This means that business courses won't work but something like Intro to IT, Environmental Science, or Art History would. However, there is also a further limit of how many credits in the AOS can be 100-level courses. A good number of Sophia courses are 100-level at TESU. Some are 200-level. None are higher.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(05-19-2021, 12:34 AM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 12:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote: When it comes to the concentrations, when it specifies course numbers like that, you usually can't just substitute willy-nilly. It has to come in as those specific courses and On the bright side, if he takes everything in the concentration except for BIO-208 at TESU (BIO-208 is, indeed, available at SDC) then he won't have to pay the residency waiver. But that's not going to be cheap or fast. If he wants cheap and fast, he'll have to pick a different concentration. A 2-credit LL course will absolutely NOT work when you need a 3 credit UL course.

Okay, that's a lot of food for thought...a little overwhelming, in fact.  Thank you for giving me more information!  I don't really know what XAMK is all about, sounds neat and also extremely intimidating.  So, are Clark and City College only offering LL classes that wouldn't work, then?  Right, he'll have some choices to make, for sure.  Either he changes his concentration/degree choice or he chooses this one and it takes longer and will cost more.  Thank you, I really appreciate the input!

I did have another question about this!  On the TESU website it shows the 6 "concentration" courses and then says AND complete an additional 12 credits of Liberal Studies courses.  Can he just fill those with Sophia courses?  Are those "additional 12 credits of Liberal Studies courses" something special or different?  He's done quite a few Sophia courses and still going strong on them.  Thanks!!

If the school offers 4-year degrees, and Clark College does, then there's a possibility that an equivalent LL course can be transferred in as an UL course. I made up for a 2-credit UL course in one of my degrees. I'm not the "you can't do this or that" type without at least searching for alternatives and asking how a course will transfer in. While everyone was saying you couldn't get an AS with the biology concentration at TESU, I did it. People give up too easily.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(05-19-2021, 08:48 AM)sanantone Wrote: If the school offers 4-year degrees, and Clark College does, then there's a possibility that an equivalent LL course can be transferred in as an UL course. I made up for a 2-credit UL course in one of my degrees. I'm not the "you can't do this or that" type without at least searching for alternatives and asking how a course will transfer in. While everyone was saying you couldn't get an AS with the biology concentration at TESU, I did it. People give up too easily.

Possibility? Yes. Likelihood? Absolutely not. 9 times out of 10 a course sent to TESU will transfer in at the level it is at the school. Biology ASNSM is different. Nobody says that you cannot do Biology at all. It's simply too expensive for most people (compared to the other degrees) - even then, it's not that much more expensive. It's totally possible and, in fact, easy to get a Biology degree from TESU due to the lack of strict requirements. It only has 1 class that is absolutely required. Health & Wellness has much stricter requirements and (assuming it's even possible) it'll be incredibly expensive compared to practically any other BALS AOS.

If the BALS were "15 credits in fitness, health, or nutrition" then that'd be a totally different matter. Or if k-k-katy's friend said he didn't care how much the degree costs, he wants THIS one then it might be doable. But neither of those things apply here so I would strongly advise the friend to do something else.

Speaking of the Biology ASNSM, perhaps the friend would like that instead of the health & wellness AOS: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...M,_Biology There are no capstones for the degree. This would make it "free" to get with a Bachelor's degree aside from the cost of the courses themselves. Biology II would be the most expensive but even that is only $89 per credit at NMJC: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit "NU102 - Nutrition & Health-Body Sculpting with Diet & Exercise" from OnlineDegree ($9 - must be in US) could be used for one of the free electives somewhere.

Biology ASNSM + BALS with some other concentration could be a good solution.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(05-19-2021, 09:10 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 08:48 AM)sanantone Wrote: If the school offers 4-year degrees, and Clark College does, then there's a possibility that an equivalent LL course can be transferred in as an UL course. I made up for a 2-credit UL course in one of my degrees. I'm not the "you can't do this or that" type without at least searching for alternatives and asking how a course will transfer in. While everyone was saying you couldn't get an AS with the biology concentration at TESU, I did it. People give up too easily.

Possibility? Yes. Likelihood? Absolutely not. 9 times out of 10 a course sent to TESU will transfer in at the level it is at the school. Biology ASNSM is different. Nobody says that you cannot do Biology at all. It's simply too expensive for most people (compared to the other degrees) - even then, it's not that much more expensive. It's totally possible and, in fact, easy to get a Biology degree from TESU due to the lack of strict requirements. It only has 1 class that is absolutely required. Health & Wellness has much stricter requirements and (assuming it's even possible) it'll be incredibly expensive compared to practically any other BALS AOS.

If the BALS were "15 credits in fitness, health, or nutrition" then that'd be a totally different matter. Or if k-k-katy's friend said he didn't care how much the degree costs, he wants THIS one then it might be doable. But neither of those things apply here so I would strongly advise the friend to do something else.

Speaking of the Biology ASNSM, perhaps the friend would like that instead of the health & wellness AOS: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...M,_Biology There are no capstones for the degree. This would make it "free" to get with a Bachelor's degree aside from the cost of the courses themselves. Biology II would be the most expensive but even that is only $89 per credit at NMJC: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit "NU102 - Nutrition & Health-Body Sculpting with Diet & Exercise" from OnlineDegree ($9 - must be in US) could be used for one of the free electives somewhere.

Biology ASNSM + BALS with some other concentration could be a good solution.

I finished the biology degree years ago when there were fewer options. It wasn't expensive; it was definitely cheaper than completing the entire thing at a community college. Before this Liberal Studies concentration existed, I looked at the health studies program at COSC. The big hurdle with that program was that it required a certification in a healthcare occupation.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(05-18-2021, 10:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: There are a lot of options for Science of Nutrition. I took the TECEP. Coopersmith offers exercise science courses.

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

Reading the exam description, this might satisfy the Biology of Aging requirement.

https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/foundatio...rontology/

City College of San Francisco offers online courses in men's health and women's health. If you're not a California resident, tuition will be about $1,032 per 3-credit course.

Clark College offers online men's health and women's health courses, but they're only two credits each. TESU will likely let him make up the two missing credits with another health or exercise science course. The Clark College courses will cost $592.20 each if you're not a Washington resident or in a bordering Oregon county.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  Not sure what direction to take at the moment, he has some decisions to make.  I used the transfer credit feature at TESU and it says that the Biology of Aging equivalent course from Excelsior comes in LL, unfortunately.  I was hopeful about that although I know absolutely nothing about Excelsior or what it would entail to bring credits in from there.  Honestly, I barely know anything about TESU either, haha.
Depending on the experience of your partner and other similar courses they've taken, there are several routes to take in order to get this BALS Concentration. The first option would be through PLA the entire Area of Study/Concentration that can't be test-out-able. Another option since they don't want to pay the residency waiver fee, is to complete the AOS from TESU using the flat-rate tuition. Then there is this option, if they've got the time, to complete a double degree using the combo above and also using Pell Grant!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-19-2021, 12:35 PM)k-k-k-katy Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 10:44 PM)sanantone Wrote: There are a lot of options for Science of Nutrition. I took the TECEP. Coopersmith offers exercise science courses.

https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

Reading the exam description, this might satisfy the Biology of Aging requirement.

https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/foundatio...rontology/

City College of San Francisco offers online courses in men's health and women's health. If you're not a California resident, tuition will be about $1,032 per 3-credit course.

Clark College offers online men's health and women's health courses, but they're only two credits each. TESU will likely let him make up the two missing credits with another health or exercise science course. The Clark College courses will cost $592.20 each if you're not a Washington resident or in a bordering Oregon county.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  Not sure what direction to take at the moment, he has some decisions to make.  I used the transfer credit feature at TESU and it says that the Biology of Aging equivalent course from Excelsior comes in LL, unfortunately.  I was hopeful about that although I know absolutely nothing about Excelsior or what it would entail to bring credits in from there.  Honestly, I barely know anything about TESU either, haha.
It sucks that they downgraded an UL test. University of Arkansas, Little Rock offers the course for $840. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than TESU.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I went through and added concentrations to the BALS plan page: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan It's not exhaustive but it should give you and him a good idea of what each concentration entails.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice needed for Health Degree thethinker58 13 1,735 08-10-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: wow
  Health Science, AAS leaannrillorta@gmail.com 3 287 06-27-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace Liberal Arts- Education Minor Degree Plan ecomony 6 506 05-16-2024, 02:57 PM
  Psychology or Liberal Arts with Excelsior University H31d1 6 755 10-01-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: H31d1
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 2,778 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Help with TESU AAS in Health Studies Pathway to BSN maebak2skl 14 1,613 07-07-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: maebak2skl
  Excelsior liberal arts and Tesu Business admin ! jakill2 7 894 04-11-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excel: BPS in Technology Management with a Nuclear Technology Concentration. Radcon7 5 1,035 01-06-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Plan for Excelsior BS Liberal Arts JTPhoneHome 16 2,755 11-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Where to get Liberal Arts degree? NBM123 13 1,762 10-12-2022, 06:05 PM