Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
(05-05-2018, 03:46 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: At the risk of further derailing this thread, your statement also sort of paints a big field with an equally large brush.
  • Not all brick and mortar courses are hard.
  • Not all brick and mortar courses have a high level of ensured academic integrity.
  • Not everyone, and from reading here and elsewhere, quite a few actually find shmoop courses challenging, particularly those with no former knowledge of the topic and those that don't read long passages quickly while retaining detail and nuance.
Shmoop and the other online credit courses serve their purpose well for the intent of a certain demographic. There will always be system gamers, whether they live on campus, or peck their tests in remotely. A degree is no certainty the holder is worthy, just a suggestion they've applied themselves more than ones without.

I disagree and there's a bit of assumption in your post, I think.

Not all brick and mortar courses are hard.

Quite true, but statements I made were not referencing academic difficulty so much as they were referencing physical time spent in a classroom. Four years of physical classroom attendance is quite a bit different than six months in front of a screen.

Not all brick and mortar courses have a high level of ensured academic integrity

Also true, but I didn't assert this either. I was indirectly referencing proctoring as a whole, but also secure browser video proctoring as opposed to Shmoop's total lack of testing security.

Not everyone, and from reading here and elsewhere, quite a few actually find shmoop courses challenging, particularly those with no former knowledge of the topic and those that don't read long passages quickly while retaining detail and nuance.

While I understand that what's challenging for one may not be challenging for another, I do think that with some effort and a healthy combination of desire and willpower, many obstacles can be overcome. I, cannot in good conscience, discount anyone's potential for success; even when they experience a smidge of discomfort brought on by some kind of adversity. There are far more difficult things in life than this Shmoop thing, or any other academic matter as far as I'm concerned; not that you have to take my word for it. Wink

As far as "gaming" the degree is concerned, I do agree with you. I also agree that a degree is not necessarily an indicator of worthiness. The whole point of my post was to address some of the "jumped-to conclusions" in previous posts and the accompanying attitudes of entitlement.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • Sapientes
I'm going to go ahead and be the lone wolf here and say: while it's unfortunate such a cheap and easy source of credits are gone (possibly), I can see WHY an institution wouldn't accept them. I'm say that others won't be able to use Shmoop and TESU together anymore as it was a great way to earn non proctored units.
1. Prep Phase: Hopeless, 15 credits, need a BA fast, never heard of TESU
2. TESU BALS: 121/120 (9 months)

3. RN Paramedic Bridge - Excelsior (9 months + CPNE wait)
4. WGU RN -> BSN
5. BSN -> MSN/FNP
[-] The following 2 users Like Cheeseburrito's post:
  • camjenks, davewill
The real problem for me here boils down to this... Pre-approval of courses is not required. Nowhere in any communication to or from TESU was I ever told to pre-approve courses. Sure, it may be smart, and sure, people here will tell you to do it, but objectively it is not required. 

So, we get an email 2 DAYS after a deadline for the supposed pre-approval of courses.

This is the problem. If they had sent an email and said, "hey everyone, from this day forward get your courses pre-approved!" Then said, "hey everyone, you have 10 days to contact your advisor and make sure all your courses from this provider are pre-approved because they are going away by the end of the month!" then I could see how this might be a fair scenario.

But they didn't. They told me 2 DAYS AFTER the deadline to meet a policy they never told me they had in place.

Angry
Amy
BA in English at TESU - 2022
[-] The following 1 user Likes originalamyj's post:
  • Muldoon
Look at it from TESU's point of view. They don't consider Shmoop courses to be acceptable as college credit. They are grudgingly accepting them from people who they SPECIFICALLY promised transferability, but they would refuse them if they could. They certainly don't want to open the door to making MORE promises since the courses don't measure up (from their POV).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • MSK9, Sapientes
I honestly wasn’t even aware that you could pre-approve non tesu courses to be pending on your eval. That’s an awesome tool though. I’ll deff let people know in the future to get a whole eval pre-approved to make life easier. I just used this forum to guess what classes would transfer into tesu as which worked well for me but this is a great example of what can go wrong.
(05-07-2018, 11:06 AM)Paramedic12 Wrote: I honestly wasn’t even aware that you could pre-approve non tesu courses to be pending on your eval. That’s an awesome tool though. I’ll deff let people know in the future to get a whole eval pre-approved to make life easier. I just used this forum to guess what classes would transfer into tesu as which worked well for me but this is a great example of what can go wrong.

I make that recommendation every opportunity I get. I always got my external credits preapproved. For that matter, I even got future TESU courses and TECEPs planned in, just for the extra peace of mind.
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jcasillas74
The one time i tried to preplan an NCCRS course, TESU told me I could only pre-plan TESU courses and TECEPs. I knew this was wrong because I'd seen other folks' unofficial transcripts with ACE stuff pre planned. I just let it go at the time and it worked out fine, but after this if I needed to do anything, I would make sure it was on there in case they tried to Shmoop me.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I should have made it clear above, that I DO think they should accept the affected courses from anyone who took the course in good faith while it was acceptable. That would mean setting some deadline and accepting anyone who did the course before that deadline, which is how the study.com downgrades were handled. I think people affected should keep asking both TESU and Shmoop for help in getting their courses recognized until they get some satisfaction.

I will admit that I didn't read all of this thread, but I WAS TOO BUSY FREAKING OUT!!!! Is it worth it to have DS and DH reconsider studying with TESU? We didn't want to have them register w/TESU until the last minute to avoid paying extra, so they're not enrolled. We were considering using quite a few of these credits to save money, but now who knows? Should they go with COSC?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
(05-07-2018, 03:09 PM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I will admit that I didn't read all of this thread, but I WAS TOO BUSY FREAKING OUT!!!!   Is it worth it to have DS and DH reconsider studying with TESU?  We didn't want to have them register w/TESU until the last minute to avoid paying extra, so they're not enrolled.  We were considering using quite a few of these credits to save money, but now who knows?   Should they go with COSC?

No idea on switching to COSC, but commenting on the other part.  There are no per-term fees for TESU, so you don't save money by waiting to enroll there.  As a matter of fact, you're much better off enrolling sooner rather than later - you need to lock in your catalog ASAP.  So if you decide to go with TESU, apply NOW and set yourself up to take a TECEP sooner rather than later.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 179 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,734 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 372 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 463 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,169 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,334 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,323 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,476 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42