Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Class Woes
I hate when online classes, don't give you access to the class room until the date the class actually starts. I would love to get a head start on homework and reading for a class that starts next Monday, but am unable to get in to see requirements.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
That's terrible. My TESC classes got opened up a few days before the actual start date, thankfully. Sometimes it was the weekend before. So I'd get nervous and just start reading the textbook, from the beginning Confusedmilelol:
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I hear you! I really, really like it when classes open early, though I get that they don't have any reason to let us in early. Smile
I've had a few classes open up early, and I like it when it happens. I always like seeing who's in my classes! I don't usually work ahead, though - taking summer classes means I relish whatever break I have.
Course clear! You got a card.

Analyzing & Interpreting Literature 72|American Government 71|Introductory Sociology 63|Humanities 70|College Composition 60|U.S. History II 67|Principles of Marketing 73|Principles of Macroeconomics 67|Principles of Microeconomics 66|U.S. History I 74|College Mathematics 68|Information Systems & Computer Applications 68|College Algebra 56|Biology 63|Financial Accounting 65

B.A.S. IT Management, Class of 2015
MBA, Class of 2017
My next term starts this week. I was able to see my course a week ago, read the syllabus, freak out about the work involved, drop it, and add something more manageable.

I suppose that's not the benefit they were intending, but it was definitely helpful.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
SteveFoerster Wrote:My next term starts this week. I was able to see my course a week ago, read the syllabus, freak out about the work involved, drop it, and add something more manageable.

I suppose that's not the benefit they were intending, but it was definitely helpful.

ROFL, which one was it and who was the instructor so I can put off it to the end of my program?

I had one open up last week and it had a different course's information in it, that finally got fixed a few days ago. My other one is open but there's nothing in the shell.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:ROFL, which one was it and who was the instructor so I can put off it to the end of my program?
Coleman, History of Leadership.

1. Read Plutarch's Lives (all 1500 pages?), write an essay on it.
2. Read Aristotle, write an essay on it.
3. Read Cicero, write an essay on it.
4. Read Machiavelli, write an essay on it.
5. Write a 20 page research paper.

To me, that's a lot to do in eight weeks when I have a lot of other things going on! I realize I'll have to do it sometime, but I'm not going to even try it until Spring at the earliest.

Quote:I had one open up last week and it had a different course's information in it, that finally got fixed a few days ago. My other one is open but there's nothing in the shell.
I switched to Program Planning and Assessment, which is no cakewalk either, but at least I didn't need a stiff drink after reading the syllabus.

Wow... Um. Yeah, I'll remember to put that one on hold for a while. I'm kind of looking forward to Program Planning and Assessment as far as the material. As I said over at DI, I'm doing my psych electives for the next few terms.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
TMW2010 Wrote:Wow... Um. Yeah, I'll remember to put that one on hold for a while. I'm kind of looking forward to Program Planning and Assessment as far as the material.
Same here! I'm in the midst of dealing with our accreditor, so I'm hoping that everything I do for one will also apply to the other, so that the amount of overall time spent is optimized.

Quote:As I said over at DI, I'm doing my psych electives for the next few terms.
Cool, I look forward to hearing how that goes. I don't know anything about the specialization courses, since I transferred all that in.

SteveFoerster Wrote:Same here! I'm in the midst of dealing with our accreditor, so I'm hoping that everything I do for one will also apply to the other, so that the amount of overall time spent is optimized.
I've had a class on program assessment for my M.Ed. where I used Quality Matters and the iNACOL standards to assess online programs at institutions. It was interesting but there was a lot of subjectivity involved in the evaluation rubric and scoring, in my opinion; if the assessor is having a bad day, that bias can easily creep in through the scoring. I'm hoping the class will focus more on actual program planning and development.

Quote:Cool, I look forward to hearing how that goes. I don't know anything about the specialization courses, since I transferred all that in.
It's no big thing, honestly. Level 500 & 600 psych classes offered through the school beefed up with extra assignments and the dreaded 20 page paper - at least that's how the catalog says they'll be approached. I'm taking two classes but I'm only taking one class that has any meaning to the AoS. The other class, Educational Psychology, is an Education Department course and is just resume/CV fodder to show I've got a class in 'Educational Psychology' for institution credential reviewers for adjunct hiring.

It's two quick graduate credits, I already know the material (heck, I've taught the material), and I didn't want to take Biostatistics right now, which was the only other option offered for psych this term. Of course it turns out that I'll need to take Biostatistics anyway because it's a recommended research course for the PhD program. Bleh.

Edit -
Whoops, sorry about the thread hijack.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 455 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,822 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 9,031 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,997 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,255 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 7,558 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 631 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 402 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,458 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 834 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen