Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Online Class Woes - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Online Class Woes (/Thread-Online-Class-Woes)

Pages: 1 2

Online Class Woes - defscarlett - 08-28-2014

I hate when online classes, don't give you access to the class room until the date the class actually starts. I would love to get a head start on homework and reading for a class that starts next Monday, but am unable to get in to see requirements.

Online Class Woes - Westerner - 08-29-2014

That's terrible. My TESC classes got opened up a few days before the actual start date, thankfully. Sometimes it was the weekend before. So I'd get nervous and just start reading the textbook, from the beginning Confusedmilelol:

Online Class Woes - cookderosa - 08-29-2014

I hear you! I really, really like it when classes open early, though I get that they don't have any reason to let us in early. Smile

Online Class Woes - Bibby - 08-30-2014

I've had a few classes open up early, and I like it when it happens. I always like seeing who's in my classes! I don't usually work ahead, though - taking summer classes means I relish whatever break I have.

Online Class Woes - SteveFoerster - 08-31-2014

My next term starts this week. I was able to see my course a week ago, read the syllabus, freak out about the work involved, drop it, and add something more manageable.

I suppose that's not the benefit they were intending, but it was definitely helpful.

Online Class Woes - TMW2010 - 08-31-2014

SteveFoerster Wrote:My next term starts this week. I was able to see my course a week ago, read the syllabus, freak out about the work involved, drop it, and add something more manageable.

I suppose that's not the benefit they were intending, but it was definitely helpful.

ROFL, which one was it and who was the instructor so I can put off it to the end of my program?

I had one open up last week and it had a different course's information in it, that finally got fixed a few days ago. My other one is open but there's nothing in the shell.

Online Class Woes - SteveFoerster - 08-31-2014

TMW2010 Wrote:ROFL, which one was it and who was the instructor so I can put off it to the end of my program?
Coleman, History of Leadership.

1. Read Plutarch's Lives (all 1500 pages?), write an essay on it.
2. Read Aristotle, write an essay on it.
3. Read Cicero, write an essay on it.
4. Read Machiavelli, write an essay on it.
5. Write a 20 page research paper.

To me, that's a lot to do in eight weeks when I have a lot of other things going on! I realize I'll have to do it sometime, but I'm not going to even try it until Spring at the earliest.

Quote:I had one open up last week and it had a different course's information in it, that finally got fixed a few days ago. My other one is open but there's nothing in the shell.
I switched to Program Planning and Assessment, which is no cakewalk either, but at least I didn't need a stiff drink after reading the syllabus.

Online Class Woes - TMW2010 - 08-31-2014

Wow... Um. Yeah, I'll remember to put that one on hold for a while. I'm kind of looking forward to Program Planning and Assessment as far as the material. As I said over at DI, I'm doing my psych electives for the next few terms.

Online Class Woes - SteveFoerster - 09-01-2014

TMW2010 Wrote:Wow... Um. Yeah, I'll remember to put that one on hold for a while. I'm kind of looking forward to Program Planning and Assessment as far as the material.
Same here! I'm in the midst of dealing with our accreditor, so I'm hoping that everything I do for one will also apply to the other, so that the amount of overall time spent is optimized.

Quote:As I said over at DI, I'm doing my psych electives for the next few terms.
Cool, I look forward to hearing how that goes. I don't know anything about the specialization courses, since I transferred all that in.

Online Class Woes - TMW2010 - 09-01-2014

SteveFoerster Wrote:Same here! I'm in the midst of dealing with our accreditor, so I'm hoping that everything I do for one will also apply to the other, so that the amount of overall time spent is optimized.
I've had a class on program assessment for my M.Ed. where I used Quality Matters and the iNACOL standards to assess online programs at institutions. It was interesting but there was a lot of subjectivity involved in the evaluation rubric and scoring, in my opinion; if the assessor is having a bad day, that bias can easily creep in through the scoring. I'm hoping the class will focus more on actual program planning and development.

Quote:Cool, I look forward to hearing how that goes. I don't know anything about the specialization courses, since I transferred all that in.
It's no big thing, honestly. Level 500 & 600 psych classes offered through the school beefed up with extra assignments and the dreaded 20 page paper - at least that's how the catalog says they'll be approached. I'm taking two classes but I'm only taking one class that has any meaning to the AoS. The other class, Educational Psychology, is an Education Department course and is just resume/CV fodder to show I've got a class in 'Educational Psychology' for institution credential reviewers for adjunct hiring.

It's two quick graduate credits, I already know the material (heck, I've taught the material), and I didn't want to take Biostatistics right now, which was the only other option offered for psych this term. Of course it turns out that I'll need to take Biostatistics anyway because it's a recommended research course for the PhD program. Bleh.

Edit -
Whoops, sorry about the thread hijack.