Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first college plan- how rough of a shape am I in?
I'm currently trying to map out a plan to get a degree in psychology at UMPI, and am following the wiki as best as I can. However, I'm kinda stuck now that I've planned out the GEC. on the wiki it says that i just need 35 credits for General Electives, and it doesn't matter which ones I take. That being said, which courses on sophia/study.com qualify? is it just any course that says elective? any ones that don't qualify for my GEC? I don't want to take more courses than necessary, as I'm trying to accelerate this process as much as possible. Which are the easiest ones i could take that would qualify?
General electives are basically any course approved by UMPI that isn't required for the GEC, major, concentration, or minor. The wiki shows which Sophia courses transfer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
@spinz, Welcome to the board, you pretty much answered your own question. To start, your initial post, that's a very brief introduction with several questions, it's great you're asking question to get the hang of things, but you're not providing much details on what you currently bring to the table in regards to current credits or anything within the addendum/template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

In addition to what ss20ts mentioned and what you have provided, general electives are any non vocational college credit (or ACE equivalent). If it's recommended for credit from ACE or if it's coming in from a community college as a degree program, you're good to go. These can be anything and everything that is offered at that college, as per the WIKI, anything/whatever you want (an introduction to basket weaving to home economics if that's your thing).

What is easiest for one person may not be easiest for another, I suggest taking all the Sophia.org courses that do not have any touchstone writing assignments, anything out of that entire list that you haven't completed yet, 35 is roughly 11-12 courses of any course you want to take, from any provider that UMPI accepts credits from...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Electives at UMPI are any courses that are NOT in your major, not in the GEC, and that you want to take anyway. Some people fill up their electives with classes that are similar to classes that they already have to take. Some people fill up their electives with classes that they find interesting and wouldn't otherwise be able to take. It's up to you.

As already stated, easy is relative. What you find to be easy may not be easy for others. Some people love science and will gladly fill their electives with science classes at Sophia. Some people dislike science immensely and struggle to get through even the basic courses that the GEC requires. What do you want to take?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(08-15-2023, 09:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote: General electives are basically any course approved by UMPI that isn't required for the GEC, major, concentration, or minor. The wiki shows which Sophia courses transfer.

so lets say I need 1 philosophy course, so I take Ancient greek philosophers. If I were also to take Intro to ethics, would that qualify as an elective, since I already have the requirement satisfied for that?

(08-16-2023, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Electives at UMPI are any courses that are NOT in your major, not in the GEC, and that you want to take anyway.
My original plan was to take more courses in the GEC that were already satisfied through other classes. so just to verify, this would not work, and I'd have to find other courses to satisfy GEs?
It depends. It's possible to satisfy all GEC requirements with something like 30-34 credits - in theory. But you're not allowed to have fewer than 40 credits in the GEC. If you don't already have at least 40 credits, Greek Philosophers, it will get used for one of the GEC requirements and the Ethics course will get used for others. If you have at least 40 GEC credits, Greek Philosophers will go to electives.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
Hi all, I'm looking to get the ball rolling and start a college plan. I've tried to plan as much as I could on my own, but I'm hoping for insight on how this plan looks, and if its even on the right track. thank you so much looking! Smile

Your Location: California, United States. 
Your Age: 22
What kind of degree do you want?: Psychology
Current Regional Accredited Credits:
Not sure if these fit here, but I went to a community college for one semester, if anything I believe these may qualify for GE credits 13.5

San Bernardino Valley College

Rtvf 131-digital video editing 3-A
MUS 101-music theory 1       3-B
MUS 101L- musicianship 1     1-A
SDEV 102-college pathway    3-A
MUS 166X4- concert band     1-A
Mus 150x4- mixed chorus      1-A
MUS 141X2 -applied music   .5-A
WEXP -099 work experience  1-A

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: none
Any certifications or military experience? None

My current plan is to attend UMPI, transferring as many credits I can from Sophia/ study.com. Any insight would be fantastic. I followed the Wiki for the Psychology pathway as well as the GE pathway. I'm hoping that someone would be able to let me know if these credits would qualify, or if I need to change anything in the plan. 

GENERAL ED:
ENGLISH COMPOSITION 1- SOPHIA
ENGLISH COMP 2- SOPHIA
US GOV- SOPHIA
INTRO TO ETHICS- SOPHIA
ART HISTORY 1- SOPHIA
INTRO TO STATS- SOPHIA
HUMAN BIO+ HUMAN BIO LAB- SOPHIA
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE- SOPHIA
US HISTORY 1 - SOPHIA
SPANISH 1-SOPHIA
PHILOSOPHY 301- STUDY.COM
COMMUNICATIONS 102- STUDY.COM

TOTAL: 41 CREDITS

A question though: I've heard that it's better to take eng. Comp 1 and 2 through UMPI, as it's the easiest way to take it. Is this still the best method? Should I adjust accordingly? According to the chart, this should cover all groups required by UMPI to finish My GE, plus an additional course to push me over the 40 necessary credits. 

GENERAL ELECTIVES:
ANCIENT GREEK PHILOSOPHERS- SOPHIA
CONFLICT RESOLUTION-SOPHIA
CRITICAL THINKING- SOPHIA
FOUNDATIONS OF ENGLISH COMPOSITION- SOPHIA
INTRO TO BUSINESS- SOPHIA
VISUAL COMMUNICATION- SOPHIA
PSYCH 101- STUDY.COM
PSYCH 102- STUDY.COM
PSYCH 103- STUDY.COM

TOTAL: 27
While this only brings me to 27 credits, I'm hoping that the credits I took at the community college will satisfy some credits. If anyone could give me any insight into that I would be hugely appreciative. 

CLASSES SPECIFIC TO PSYCHOLOGY:
PSY 311- UMPI
PSY 341- UMPI
PSY 370- UMPI
PSY 374- UMPI
PSY 375- UMPI
PSY 380- UMPI
PSY 382- UMPI
PSY 446- UMPI
PSY 496- UMPI
INTRO PSYCH-SMARTER DECISIONS- SOPHIA
PSYCH 104- STUDY.COM
PSYCH 106- STUDY.COM
PSYCH 107-STUDY.COM
PSYCH 302- STUDY.COM
MAT 101- STATISTICS- SOPHIA???

TOTAL CREDITS:45

A big question here: I see on the wiki that I need basic statistics specifically for my degree. Would it cover both my GEC as well as the psych requirements? Or do I need to take a different math to satisfy my GEC if I take stats to cover my Psych requirements?

This is my first draft of my college plan, just looking for any/ all pointers to complete my plan and get the ball rolling. Thank you all for looking Smile
Hey I'm doing the same path as you, psych at umpi.

Looking at the degree plan I put together, Intro to Stats is on the list, along with College Algebra (both through Sophia). I've been trying to knock out a course a day off Sophia, and so far I've just about kept up with that pace. Algebra was pretty easy, and I haven't taken a math course in almost a decade. Open book makes things very easy, you only need to know when to apply formulas/how to find the explanation in the textbook. Photomath and wolfangram is an option too, but again, it's really easy. I had the day off yesterday and knocked out the whole course in around 6 hours, with a 95.

I'm on track to finish all the Sophia courses by September, and I'm leaving the 4 study.com tests for October. Nov or Dec enrollment

Oh yeah, users here recommend college composition through umpi because it's easier. Personally I'm trying to finish umpi requirements within two months/terms so I'm planning on going ahead with college comp through Sophia, or taking the clep, to get it out of the way. It's up to you. And for Sophia, check for a promo code so you can get your first month for $75, Google search for it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hexclep's post:
  • spinz
Spinz, I would follow the degree plan on the WIKI for the bulk, if not, all your missing credits. Take Sophia.org for remaining lower level, Study.com for upper level, and UMPI for any courses that can't be transferred in or if you need to take the minimum 30 credits at UMPI.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
English Comp at UMPI will be way easier and less stress than taking them at Sophia. UMPI is graded on a single paper or project per class. At Sophia, each English Comp class has multiple papers and may take 1-2 months apiece.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner's Guide to College Degrees - Compact and Concise Revised Version bjcheung77 8 1,054 09-17-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: wow
  Hello Everyone, How Does My Degree Plan Look? karlvon 4 310 09-14-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: karlvon
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 12 1,455 09-14-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: RejuvenationOclock
  Degree plan wanted for UK student (CS) FungiTao 1 150 09-13-2024, 07:42 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Advise/plan Wanted for a Canadian Student nbid 10 574 09-12-2024, 11:12 PM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,193 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Lightbulb Accelerated Degree Plan For New Career new_start2025+ 12 632 09-08-2024, 11:38 PM
  Graduating Faster Plan? Or purchase degree hacking course TheSuccessPlug 15 734 09-05-2024, 05:07 PM
Last Post: wow
  aiming for acupuncture degree, need help with CBE bachelors plan teadrinker000 16 633 09-01-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SNHU CS Degree plan FullFocus 14 1,337 08-31-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Doner