Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
? about Education Master degrees
I would like some assistance with the two degree options I am looking at for a Master’s in Education/Teaching.

I am a semester away from completing my B.A. in English and I am looking to get certification to teach High School English and Earth Science in either Michigan or Florida.
My major is English so I have completed the required amount of major credits for teaching that subject according to the MI DOE. I still am finishing up the additional credits I need for Earth Science. I would like to start the program in Summer 2009.

I have located two programs that would provide me with certification to teach Secondary Ed as well as a Master’s degree.
One: U. of Michigan Dearborn- local school, nights and weekends, leads to an M.A. in Teaching degree and includes a semester of student teaching. It’s endorsed by the MDOE as one of the best teaching schools in the state and has a good reputation here for academic rigor (although the Engineering programs are what it’s primarily known for). Down side is cost- best I can figure (because UMD has a complicated way of doing tuition and their website is no help) it’s about $16,000 + books for me to finish the MAT/cert. Time to complete: about 18 months or so, puts me past hiring cycle for 2010 school year so would be looking at 2011 school year.

Two: U of West Florida- completely online, offers a TeacherReady cert program first, you can use some of those credits toward their M.Ed. programs. Would provide certification and instruction, as well as has a student teaching component. Cost (since I would be eligible for the online only out of state tuition waiver) would roughly be $10,600 + books, plus driving to Florida 2x to take their cert. tests. Plus side: Can finish the UWF cert program (9 mos. Program) in time for hiring cycle for 2010 school year, then work on Master’s while making money.

I have been toying around with everything in my head and what it basically boils down to is a couple of different factors- 1) Would I prefer online or traditional classes? 2) Is $5,000 more in tuition worth more of a “name”? 3) Does the name recognition mean anything when you’re going into education (i.e. an RA degree is an RA degree and it depends on experience for pay)? 3) Is it better to finish an MAT, then work, or get into the field and work on the M.Ed.?

My answers so far- I like online classes much more than physical classes. However, I may need networking to secure a job in MI as it’s hard to do right now. $5,000 is not that much in the scheme of things, but as I will mostly be a self-pay student, then it does matter.

Does UWF have a decent reputation in Florida? What would you do in my situation? Can anyone input their $0.02? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Heather
I'm done!
B.A. English, TESC, completed December 2008

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
First, talk to other teachers.
My brother and sis-in-law went through this same situation and in both cases I have heard them discuss the down side of earning your master's before you are locked in with a school. If you chose option 2, you could get hired in at lower scale, but while you were employed you could get your masters and get a pay bump. If you get your masters FIRST, they have to hire you in at a higher pay scale without experience. (MUCH harder) Case in point- My next door neighbor is 3 years post-masters and STILL unemployed. Her BA is art, but she was a stay at home mom and went back to school so she could teach K-5. She paid a FORTUNE for her masters in elementary ed and she has been doing nothing but substituting hoping to network and get her foot in the door. (while making loan payments!) Our last conversation in July was that she still didn't have a job for the 08-09 year. I know this is only the experience of a few people, but talk to a few people you trust (not school admissions reps) and ask about possible down sides of going in with a masters first.
See, that's what I had heard and I'm leaning toward just getting the cert itself first (it's only $4k for the cert so a much smaller investment :lol: ) and then working with that.
Unfortunately I need to work, and it's not really feasible for me to be unemployed for large chunks of time if I can help it hilarious
I just want to get in the trenches and teach.
I'm done!

Tests passed: A/I Lit-73, Mgmt-71, Amer Lit-73, Tech Writing-64, Criminal Justice-56, Here's to Your Health-65, Law Enforcement-60
You might want to check out online university - WGU - online colleges - online degrees. Western Governors -they have cert and Masters programs. They have been around doing DL as long as the "big three". They also have NCATE accreditation,they explain on their site.

Another avenue is a program like Teach For America - Home. I was surprised they didnt have anything in Michigan (well Detroit at least). Maybe they could refer or you could find a similar program that works for you.

The biggest thing to get you hired is what they need...you need to check with the locality where you are and find out what they need. Usually,at least here, science (not earth science..sorry),math,special ed and English as a second language are at a premium. If it is a need in your area I would think ESL would be good,WGU has both a Masters and a cert. Here they fly to job fairs all over the country AND have an alt cert program they need the above teachers so much.

May not appeal to you but since an endorsment is 30 credits and (I think) that section of Praxis,you could open an account at ECs credit bank.(like 250) and then take a GRE..bio,chem,math..do well enough and you are golden..once you are in the system you will be able to switch to English...

As for the school,again ask the folks who are going to hire you,they should be able to tell you if school or NCATE or whatever matters. I do think that getting a Masters in Ed which brings a cost bump will make things harder,unless it gives you a specialty they need,makes sense to wait.

If you can swing it I would also sub teach, a long term slot would be great. Never hurts in any job situation to make contacts.

This comes from my looking into it for myself and info from my mother (30+),her friends,my aunts and more all of them teachers.

Hope some ideas help.
PatsGirl1 Wrote:I would like some assistance with the two degree options I am looking at for a Master’s in Education/Teaching.

I am a semester away from completing my B.A. in English and I am looking to get certification to teach High School English and Earth Science in either Michigan or Florida.
My major is English so I have completed the required amount of major credits for teaching that subject according to the MI DOE. I still am finishing up the additional credits I need for Earth Science. I would like to start the program in Summer 2009.

I have located two programs that would provide me with certification to teach Secondary Ed as well as a Master’s degree.
One: U. of Michigan Dearborn- local school, nights and weekends, leads to an M.A. in Teaching degree and includes a semester of student teaching. It’s endorsed by the MDOE as one of the best teaching schools in the state and has a good reputation here for academic rigor (although the Engineering programs are what it’s primarily known for). Down side is cost- best I can figure (because UMD has a complicated way of doing tuition and their website is no help) it’s about $16,000 + books for me to finish the MAT/cert. Time to complete: about 18 months or so, puts me past hiring cycle for 2010 school year so would be looking at 2011 school year.

Two: U of West Florida- completely online, offers a TeacherReady cert program first, you can use some of those credits toward their M.Ed. programs. Would provide certification and instruction, as well as has a student teaching component. Cost (since I would be eligible for the online only out of state tuition waiver) would roughly be $10,600 + books, plus driving to Florida 2x to take their cert. tests. Plus side: Can finish the UWF cert program (9 mos. Program) in time for hiring cycle for 2010 school year, then work on Master’s while making money.

I have been toying around with everything in my head and what it basically boils down to is a couple of different factors- 1) Would I prefer online or traditional classes? 2) Is $5,000 more in tuition worth more of a “name”? 3) Does the name recognition mean anything when you’re going into education (i.e. an RA degree is an RA degree and it depends on experience for pay)? 3) Is it better to finish an MAT, then work, or get into the field and work on the M.Ed.?

My answers so far- I like online classes much more than physical classes. However, I may need networking to secure a job in MI as it’s hard to do right now. $5,000 is not that much in the scheme of things, but as I will mostly be a self-pay student, then it does matter.

Does UWF have a decent reputation in Florida? What would you do in my situation? Can anyone input their $0.02? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Heather

Hi Heather,

The UWF program sounds interesting. Let me know your impressions if you decide to take it. I notice that the 9 month Teacher ready is designed for people who are working full time so you could be earning in some job while you do it.

You might want to explore the University of Missouri program where you get a temporary instant credential that lasts for 2 years and then continue to take courses at night etc. while teaching to get a "regular" credential. I think that most states have something similar. Why not teach right away? Just a thought.

Sidney
go to American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence | Promoting teacher quality - Impacting student learning
They have a program where you can become highly qualified to teach in Florida (not sure about the other state) and the course is only around $600.00 and about six months to complete. But in Florida, all you need is a bachelor's degree in anything, take their state certification test in high school english if that's what you want to teach and the Florida Professional test as well as general knowledge test and if you pass those three exams, you are considered highly qualified to teach. Actually, you do not need a bachelor's degree to take the exams....my friend already took hers and passed and as soon as she has her bachelor's complete, they will send her the certification. If you check amazon.com, there are plenty of books to help you prepare for the Florida exams.
If you become a teacher in Florida, they have a program that will help you pay for your master's degree so it might be better to hold off....just a suggestion.
Theresa-
Thanks, I'm looking at that site now. I knew there had to be some kind of cert program like that, but I couldn't find anything on the FDOE website.
I am holding off on the Master's (bc of the feedback and I also talked to a few teachers here in MI).

Thanks everyone for all of the help!
I'm done!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  people who have multiple degrees crowbird 18 819 09-25-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 7 1,560 09-11-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: wow
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 167 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  “How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It” Jonathan Whatley 7 495 09-09-2024, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 611 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 5 643 08-19-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 456 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 534 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Twitter freaks out over person with many degrees RbxFunRocks 12 1,156 06-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 566 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: OtterDen