Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will online degrees become worthless because of AI?
I'm a student a U of the people, and I've seen a heavy use of AI generated content  It's so blatant that it's honestly becoming both frightening and depressing.
If you look at the uopeople subreddit, you'll see that even instructors use AI to respond to discussion forums and even grade students. So basically, bots are doing assignments, and bots respond to them and grade them, in the end it feel as if it's the bot that is going to graduate.

Is this prevalent in other online universities or are we just the worse of the bunch? will online degrees become worthless? is there no solution for that?
(04-16-2024, 05:34 PM)blablablox Wrote: I'm a student a U of the people, and I've seen a heavy use of AI generated content  It's so blatant that it's honestly becoming both frightening and depressing.
If you look at the uopeople subreddit, you'll see that even instructors use AI  to respond to discussion forums and even grade students. So basically, bots are doing assignments, and bots respond to them and grade them, in the end it feel as if it's the bot that is going to graduate.

Is this prevalent in other online universities or are we just the worse of the bunch? will online degrees become worthless? is there no solution for that?

Quite a few of the colleges we recommend, you can't tell if they were done online or on-campus.

For a lot of employers, a degree is sort of a checkbox. 

In the end, you need the skills to do the job, so if you take shortcuts, you are cheating yourself down the road.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Darknigh7, Hotdogman1
For UofPeople, since they're NA and the transfer of credits aren't viable to many other places, I would recommend either sticking with them to complete the degree or transferring to another institution that accepts NA credits, you usually want to make sure the institution you end up with is RA at the undergrad and graduate levels. If you're at the doctoral level and can only find NA alternatives, then that's fine... generally if you can find a Masters or lower at a comparable RA institution, stick with RA for now...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Darknigh7
I’m fine with students using AI. In my experience, ChatGPT 4.0 has 70% accuracy on multiple choice questions and writes like a robot cosplaying as a below average 8th grader who is scrambling to finish an assignment before a pending deadline. Students who solely rely on AI for assignments will never be able to compete against you academically or influence your career.

As for instructors, they are volunteers that get a stipend of around $400-$700 for a 9-week course. Assuming the best-case scenario of $700 per course and 10 hours of work per week, this would equate to a $7.78 hourly pay. Rather than lamenting the instructors that blatantly use AI, you should commend the professors that don’t use AI.

As for whether online degrees would become useless, I proctor at my local community college’s testing center once a week. Last month, I caught 3 students using phones, 2 calculators with answers on the back, and 1 student who had math formulas written on the back of their hand. Like LevelUP mentioned:

(04-16-2024, 05:48 PM)LevelUP Wrote: a degree is sort of a checkbox. 

In the end, you need the skills to do the job, so if you take shortcuts, you are cheating yourself down the road.
[-] The following 4 users Like Hotdogman1's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, NotJoeBiden, Pikachu, rachel83az
Chat GPT is very poor at solving word problems or making any sorts of extrapolation out of data. I suspect professors will have to adjust their methods of assessing competency. As is, some students pay others to write their essays, so this isnt a new issue, it is just easier now.
-
Joe
[-] The following 2 users Like NotJoeBiden's post:
  • sanantone, ss20ts
The problem isn't specific to online programs. Students can turn in AI-generated papers in on-ground programs. For a long time, on-campus students have been paying people to write papers for them. The only difference is on-campus testing, but online proctors exist to prevent cheating during remote testing.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
(04-17-2024, 10:35 AM)sanantone Wrote: The problem isn't specific to online programs. Students can turn in AI-generated papers in on-ground programs. For a long time, on-campus students have been paying people to write papers for them. The only difference is on-campus testing, but online proctors exist to prevent cheating during remote testing.

So many students cheat when testing in person. I used to see so many students cheating at one university I attended in person years ago. When there's 300 students and 1 TA it's not hard. I have wondered if this is why some professors moved to open notes for exams. You still had time limits so you had to have great organized notes for it to help you.
If anything, I think that online programs may end up being more resistant to cheating. Individual professors' ability to detect cheating will always be a bit spotty, while online programs will be more likely to put in place uniform detection methods.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • ss20ts
AI Won’t Replace Humans — But Humans With AI Will Replace Humans Without AI
https://hbr.org/2023/08/ai-wont-replace-...without-ai

Basically, if you don't learn how to use AI, you will soon become a caveman and obsolete.

The same thing happened with computers and the Internet.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(04-17-2024, 10:46 AM)ss20ts Wrote: So many students cheat when testing in person. I used to see so many students cheating at one university I attended in person years ago. When there's 300 students and 1 TA it's not hard. I have wondered if this is why some professors moved to open notes for exams. You still had time limits so you had to have great organized notes for it to help you.
For in-person testing at my testing center, we have 25 testing stations per lab, 1 camera above every testing station, and at least 4 different camera angles for each desk: left, above, right, and behind. From the proctor's desk, we can access the cameras, view student's monitors, and take control of their computers at any time. We can rewind the videos a week and the camera can zoom in. We also periodically walk around the lab to make sure students aren't hiding anything below their desks. If MLB had the camera coverage we have, challenges would last 30 seconds. Even with a proctor in the lab and a supervisor monitoring the cameras, people still try to cheat.
(04-17-2024, 11:48 AM)davewill Wrote: If anything, I think that online programs may end up being more resistant to cheating. Individual professors' ability to detect cheating will always be a bit spotty, while online programs will be more likely to put in place uniform detection methods.
We manually review the videos of every remotely proctored test regardless of the subject. When we find someone cheating/suspicious, we escalate it to the professor for them to handle. We get complaints from professors at least once a week that our standards are unreasonable. Some professors never respond or don’t care enough to take disciplinary action. A contributing factor is probably pay. For some reason, my proctor hourly pay is likely at least 3 times higher than the average adjunct hourly pay.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 0 47 3 hours ago
Last Post: stats-time
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 9 372 Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  How do you achieve multiple degrees? Ariadne 3 219 Yesterday, 01:41 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 22 5,070 07-31-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 973 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 536 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 5 654 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: inor
  Online Linear Algebra Course (Except SNHU) sjdkn1 17 1,325 06-26-2024, 03:23 AM
  Twitter freaks out over person with many degrees RbxFunRocks 12 967 06-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India) OtterDen 3 398 06-21-2024, 08:45 PM