Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want better grades? Move towards the beginning of the alphabet.
I suppose it isn't too surprising that grading gets harsher as the grader reads the same ideas and sees the same mistakes for 20th time. While 0.3 out of 100 doesn't sound like a lot, if it puts you on one side of a line instead of the other, it hurts.

https://phys.org/news/2024-04-grades-stu...etical.amp

Quote:An analysis by University of Michigan researchers of more than 30 million grading records from U-M finds students with alphabetically lower-ranked names receive lower grades. This is due to sequential grading biases and the default order of students' submissions in Canvas—the most widely used online learning management system—which is based on the alphabetical rank of their surnames.

What's more, they find, those alphabetically disadvantaged students receive comments that are notably more negative and less polite, and exhibit lower grading quality measured by post-grade complaints from students.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
0.3-point lower grade? Lol. 

That study shoves a square peg through a round hole.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Changing my name to Aaaaaaaaa.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
isn't that the same for every sport ?

women's gymnastics :
the first parallel bars of the competition may look great, but you can't score it a 10 because something better might come along
so you score it a 9.8

then everything after that is judged not only own its own merit, but also on the previous performances
the 5th performance my be great, but considering we gave the first gymnast a 9.8 can we really give this gymnast a 9.9 ?
so we can only give her 9.8 too or maybe even a 9.75

to get a 10 after many gymnasts have performed means not just having a great performance, but having a far greater performance than anyone who has come before you
(04-18-2024, 03:34 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: Changing my name to Aaaaaaaaa.

Bonus! You can start a small business and dominate some market niche people still use the Yellow Pages for.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jg_nuy
(04-18-2024, 05:37 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:

Bonus! You can start a small business and dominate some market niche people still use the Yellow Pages for.
Home health assistance for the elderly, personal injury lawyers, and bail bondsmen, maybe?
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • jg_nuy, Jonathan Whatley
(04-18-2024, 08:32 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 05:37 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:

Home health assistance for the elderly, personal injury lawyers, and bail bondsmen, maybe?

Aaaaaaaaa, Dewey, Cheetham & Howe
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 3 users Like jg_nuy's post:
  • davewill, Jonathan Whatley, rachel83az
Interesting indeed... I wonder how it really works or if it's exactly as it's read or said... I guess I am lucky to a point, as both my first name and last name/surname are near the top of the list!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The beginning of Skynet... bjcheung77 3 429 05-02-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Move over 'Indiana Jones', Here's Stephen Rostain... bjcheung77 1 289 04-03-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 444 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Grades matter more Alpha 5 819 04-24-2022, 02:31 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do grades from transfer credits matter? StoicJ 1 1,325 10-12-2020, 06:51 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  As Colleges Move Classes Online, Families Rebel Against the Cost Merlin 17 3,083 08-21-2020, 10:02 AM
Last Post: SteveFoerster
  Transcripts and grades study.com kier7141 3 1,284 05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Grades - How much do you worry about them? Jenniferinfl 12 2,427 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Advice needed: Beginning International Student kiyphon 7 2,108 01-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Last Post: pws
  I have a present for you.....a college that awards letter grades for CLEP! cookderosa 9 3,314 05-02-2017, 08:44 PM
Last Post: cookderosa