Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Western Civ 1 kicking my @$$
I'm not sure if this should be in Specific Exam Feedback or here. I read the first few chapters of Jackson Spielvogel's Western Civilization textbook, and watched the first couple episodes of Western Tradition, then I did the first set of flashcards to see how I was doing. The title of this thread is the answer to that question. There are so many people, places, things that I swear I did not read about in the textbook. I feel incredibly stupid and demoralized, especially since Western Civ 1 AND 2 are required courses. I have ordered the REA study book but it won't arrive for a few days.
Should I take a 2 day break and wait for the REA book? Should I continue to read the Spielvogel text? Should I continue going through the flash cards? I have been c/ping the questions I have missed and have 4 pages for 41 questions so far.
Whenever I start learning a topic that I have no prior knowledge of, there is always a short period of "Geez, I will never get this stuff" but it has never lasted this long.
Any advice? Thanks for listening to my whining. :-(
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*
For of all, let me say, "You can do this!" When I first started taking CLEPs and DSSTs, I only used the 3 Peterson tests as guidance. I did 19 tests in 4 months. You'd be surprised just how much you really do know. Continue the flashcards (I haven't gone through them because I already took these 2 courses before I signed up for IC), over and over. That's the way it works. After you've gotten your new study material and still feel that you're not getting it, don' force it! For the actual test, remember that some questions will answer previous ones. Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!
I Used IC, REA & Peterson's tests and right after the test I posted in the Specific Feedback that IC would probably have been enough to pass. If you are an audio learner, the MP3 portion of the flashcards is very helpful.
For now, keep plugging away thru the flashcards until the REA book arrives. I didn't read the text as much as I did the practice tests and read the explanations. I really retained the information.
Also, really get to know and understand Greek and Roman history.
Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'll keep at it and keep at it and keep at it.....
I am reminded of the first time I tried to read Harry Potter. I kept stumbling over all the made-up words. I think the unfamiliarity of the language is a factor. Learning about Nebuchadnezzar, Akhenaton, Hatsheput is a bit harder than Lee, Grant, and Lincoln.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Save on tuition with Western Undergraduate Exchange wow 0 229 08-16-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: wow
  HIS-1010 / Western Civ. 1 at TESU picochily 8 660 05-05-2024, 04:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Western Oregon University Adopts New Grading System LevelUP 13 1,453 02-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,142 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Pennsylvania Western University Alpha 2 1,037 10-15-2021, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Vle045
Big Grin TESU Non Western History HELP tls7291 2 1,044 01-13-2021, 02:00 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  In-state tuition at NMJC through WUE (for residents of some Western states) wow 3 1,668 01-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Non-Western Literature - New course from study.com nosey561 0 1,078 09-19-2019, 07:23 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  Like To Know simple Way To Pass Western Civilization MidtownNYC 2 1,607 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  western civilization 1 clep Strozew3 4 2,633 05-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Jitzman94