Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
UMPI Gen Ed Req
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone point me to a link that explains what the Math GE courses are that I need as part of the GEC requirements at UMPI? I’m working exclusively with Sophia.org to transfer n credits to UMPI. I want to make sure I’m taking only the necessary minimum amount of courses related to math. As you can probably tell, I am not a fan of math! Thx! Smile

I found it. Sorry guys! https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
I have a new question. I see in the UMPI GEC link that Foundations of College Algebra appears as a Sophia.org course, but when I look on Sophia.org, it's not listed as a course. Same with Intro to Applied Math and Foundations of College Algebra. Are these courses that I'll need to take elsewhere? Like ast Study.com?

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
Those are old classes that are no longer available on Sophia.

To fill the requirement, you don't need to take all of the math classes listed - you pick one. Some of the classes will also fill in multiple requirements. For example, completing Intro to Statistics will fill in requirements 3A and 3B.

This page offers a better view on how to fill in the general education requirements:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
Furthermore, if you're taking Sophia.org classes, and you've got energy, time to complete them, you can try to get more classes under your belt after you've completed the general education, electives, and any classes that go towards your major/minor of choice. You can transfer more than 90 credits for any institution, it's just that UMPI will only accept 90 into a degree program.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • colonelcamp
Hi Everyone,

Can someone help me make sense of the data in this link?

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap

Does this mean that I need to take one class from each section? For example 1A, Enlgish Comp I from Sophia, for 1B Workplace Writing II from sophia, for 1C Public Speaking from Sophia. In other words, for each section, one course. Is this correct?

Thx!
Yes and some classes fill in more than one section. You need 40 credits in gen ed so you may end up doing more than just one class though.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • colonelcamp
(04-30-2024, 09:56 AM)jg_nuy Wrote: Yes and some classes fill in more than one section. You need 40 credits in gen ed so you may end up doing more than just one class though.

What do you mean by some classes fill in more than one section? Do you mean, for example, Ancient Greek Philosophers appears in 2A, 2B and 4C. Would this one sophia course satisfy 9 credits of UMPI Gen Ed Reqs?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, 

So you mean that within 1A, 1B, etc., I may need to take more than one of those courses to meet the 40 credit requiement? I didn't add them up on that link, but I'm guessing that if I add up one class from each section, it wouldn't add up to 40. Hence the need to take more than one from some of the sections. Sorry, I just want to be sure I understand.
Merging your 'general education' threads into one... Basically, there are some institutions such as COSC, UMPI that have 'double dipping' of requirements with one class. That's all it means, there are multiple requirements of general arts/sciences etc, a class may hit multiple requirements, but the credits remain at 120, it doesn't mean you can take lesser classes if you have those requirements met. So, for 40 gen eds, you have 13 classes and a lab... You'll still need to take X classes until you hit the 120 credits, but you also need to make sure those general education and major/minor/concentration are complete as well.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • colonelcamp, Pikachu
Hi Everyone,

Based on the attached, do you guys think I have enough Gen Eds completed as of right now? This represents 55 credits completed, when what's needed are 40, but what I'd like to know is if they're the right 40 credits. I also have Business Ethics, Intro to Chemistry, Intro to Chemistry Lab, Public Speaking, Workplace Communication, English Composition II, Microeconomics, US History II, and Approaches to Studying Religion listed as Gen Ed courses based on the Sophi Equivalencies Wiki page, but I'm trying to avoid these if I can. I'm doing TEEX courses and the Google IT Support Professional course on Coursera so I'll have more than enough credits, probably 110 or so to transfer to UMPI when the time comes (I know they'll only apply 90 towards the BAS :-) ).

I know for sure I'll need English Comp II, which I'll do at UMPI based on the many comments here to not do it on Sophia, but what about the rest?

Attached Files
.jpg   GenEdsAsOf-5-18-24.jpg (Size: 273.79 KB / Downloads: 17)
[-] The following 1 user Likes colonelcamp's post:
  • Pikachu
(05-18-2024, 12:34 PM)colonelcamp Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Based on the attached, do you guys think I have enough Gen Eds completed as of right now? This represents 55 credits completed, when what's needed are 40, but what I'd like to know is if they're the right 40 credits. I also have Business Ethics, Intro to Chemistry, Intro to Chemistry Lab, Public Speaking, Workplace Communication, English Composition II, Microeconomics, US History II, and Approaches to Studying Religion listed as Gen Ed courses based on the Sophi Equivalencies Wiki page, but I'm trying to avoid these if I can. I'm doing TEEX courses and the Google IT Support Professional course on Coursera so I'll have more than enough credits, probably 110 or so to transfer to UMPI when the time comes (I know they'll only apply 90 towards the BAS :-) ).

I know for sure I'll need English Comp II, which I'll do at UMPI based on the many comments here to not do it on Sophia, but what about the rest?

Just bumping this to the top. Hope this is ok. I just really want to get an idea of where our experts here think I am.

Thx!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Criminal Justice BA YourPace Program Completed slaterjack 10 834 4 hours ago
Last Post: Bunnies2012
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 30 3,893 Today, 07:12 AM
Last Post: azmusic
  European studying umpi your pace . MuneebAzhar 70 4,351 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: kakasahib
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 32 9,330 08-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Update on My Journey to UMPI BAS and MAOL Hackingat40 0 315 08-21-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 323 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Language requirements at UMPI yc1981 9 919 08-16-2024, 11:08 PM
  Transfer cybersecurity minor/major into UMPI? Robson 11 661 08-16-2024, 12:03 PM
  Need help for UMPI YourPace Admission AnnaVu 6 679 08-16-2024, 11:42 AM
  ENEB to UMPI MAOL? ecdw94 6 535 08-16-2024, 11:24 AM