Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BABA to BAS switch denied
Sad 
Hi Everyone... 

I started my BABA program by the recommendation of the admissions counselor which I regrettably took at heart without doing my own research. I was too focused on transfering the maximum credits that I did not place too much thought into my major. To be honest, I don't like the program much. I am working as an IT Technician and I think that a BAS with an MIS minor would be a way better option for me. I saw the wiki post and fell in love with the posted degree plan.
Anyways,
bottom line is:
I am really interested in switching to the BAS MIS program. I emailed Jessica about possibly switching and she let me know that I needed 40 technical credits but she also gave me the option to switch to a BLS program which I really do not prefer out of cultural reasons. 

What would constitue a technical credit??  

Here is everything I transferred to UMPI so far..

B&M (Penn State)

Micro and Macro Econ(ECO 207 & 2XX): 6 Credits Total
Intro to Stats for Business(MAT 101): 4 credits 
Website Design/Administration(COS 200): 3 credits
Database Infromation Systems(BUS 345): 3 credits
Python Programming(BUS 110): 3 credits
Intro to MIS(BUS 244): 3 credits
International Business law + 1 credit course: Came as GEL 3XX & GEL 1XX 4 credits total
Social & Ethical Environment for Businesses: Came in as BUS 2XX 3 credits
Legal Environment for Businesses: BUS 353 2 credits
English Course: Came in as GEL 2XX 3 Credits

Sophia Learning
Visual Communications: COM 1XX 3 credits
Project Managment: BUS 141 3 credits
Introduction to Ethics: PHI 152 3 credits
Ancient Greek Philosophers: PHI 1XX 3 credits
US History I: HTY 161 3 credits
US History II: HTY 162 3 credits
Principles of Finance: BUS 1XX 3 credits
Enviromental Science: ENV 110 3 credits
Communication at Work: BUS 210 3 credits
College Algebra: MAT 117 3 credits
Financial Accounting: BUS 150 3 credits
Intro to Business: BUS 101 3 credits
Art History I: ART 212 3 credits
Art History II: ART 211 3 credits

After I learned about the BAS option at UMPI I did the following: 

I was able to acquire the Pierpont AAS with an MIS AoA
I got the Google IT certification and the Google Data certification
Also... I am in the process of finishing an IBM certificate... That one will also be 10 credits as well.

My Questions:

Do you think this will be enough to get accepted to the program?? I heard some stories here and I am feeling pretty insecure.
I am also really young (21 yo) which I think puts me in a disadvantage in the sense of the BAS being an in person degree and everything... 

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
@anthonyk02, the BABA PM&IS is better if you're into business and IT, the BABA PM&IS would look better for several reasons. Calculate all the credits you have from Coursera, TEEX, Sophia.org that are computer/IT related, as long as it's over 40+ technical credits, you have a higher chance of getting into the BAS. I would not go for the BLS since it's not the degree you're going for... Reply back to them and indicate you have 40+ credits, if you don't have that many, it's better & safer to get them all done through ACE options such as Coursera, TEEX, Sophia.org, etc...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • lucillegyl
(01-29-2024, 05:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @anthonyk02, the BABA PM&IS is better if you're into business and IT, the BABA PM&IS would look better for several reasons. Calculate all the credits you have from Coursera, TEEX, Sophia.org that are computer/IT related, as long as it's over 40+ technical credits, you have a higher chance of getting into the BAS.  I would not go for the BLS since it's not the degree you're going for...  Reply back to them and indicate you have 40+ credits, if you don't have that many, it's better & safer to get them all done through ACE options such as Coursera, TEEX, Sophia.org, etc...
Thank you so much for your quick reply!!! Do you have any experience with transferring credits to UMPI while enrolled?? 
Also, if you wouldn’t mind.. why would a BABA in project management and info systems be a better option in your opinion? I’m thinking of going to grad school in UMaine(Orono) after graduation….

Thank you!!!
(01-29-2024, 05:27 PM)anthonyk02 Wrote:
(01-29-2024, 05:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @anthonyk02, the BABA PM&IS is better if you're into business and IT, the BABA PM&IS would look better for several reasons. Calculate all the credits you have from Coursera, TEEX, Sophia.org that are computer/IT related, as long as it's over 40+ technical credits, you have a higher chance of getting into the BAS.  I would not go for the BLS since it's not the degree you're going for...  Reply back to them and indicate you have 40+ credits, if you don't have that many, it's better & safer to get them all done through ACE options such as Coursera, TEEX, Sophia.org, etc...
Thank you so much for your quick reply!!! Do you have any experience with transferring credits to UMPI while enrolled?? 
Also, if you wouldn’t mind.. why would a BABA in project management and info systems be a better option in your opinion? I’m thinking of going to grad school in UMaine(Orono) after graduation….

Thank you!!!

I went through this debate personally in the past few weeks but the logic would be that BABA PM&IS is still the same minor as the "MIS" in the BAS. The difference is the BABA PM&IS offers you the "business" major and BAS offers you the title of saying "Bachelors of Applied Science". At the end of the day it's preference but I think most (including myself) would agree that the BABA PM&IS offers you more for your degree over chasing "Science" in your degree name. I think another positive is you already started on the BA path so this would be the faster and cheaper route too. On a personal level, I'm also trying to get a UMPI degree that is as close to the IT field as possible and I settled on BABA PM&IS. My future plan is to just end up getting a Masters to specialize in a specific tech or "science" field.
That's right, it's all personal preference, for most - it really depends on the personal needs/wants, I recommend a balanced trifecta mix of certs, degree, experience. People who are older and have a good mix/match already would be better off selecting the BAS with a minor or two of their choice, someone starting off would be best suited for the BABA with concentration of choice. A BAS is great for maximizing all the 'junk electives' or technical classes for credit as this allows 60+ of anything, if the transfer credits are mainly business/general education already, then the BABA would be recommended, you'll only have 21 credits for electives.

(01-29-2024, 08:30 PM)4KJB Wrote: I went through this debate personally in the past few weeks but the logic would be that BABA PM&IS is still the same minor as the "MIS" in the BAS. The difference is the BABA PM&IS offers you the "business" major and BAS offers you the title of saying "Bachelors of Applied Science". At the end of the day it's preference but I think most (including myself) would agree that the BABA PM&IS offers you more for your degree over chasing "Science" in your degree name. I think another positive is you already started on the BA path so this would be the faster and cheaper route too. On a personal level, I'm also trying to get a UMPI degree that is as close to the IT field as possible and I settled on BABA PM&IS. My future plan is to just end up getting a Masters to specialize in a specific tech or "science" field.

The BABA with PM&IS Concentration actually gives you both the MIS minor and PM minor courses. Depending on one's career, the BABA may be more advantageous than the BAS Many people have never heard of a BAS but they've heard of a BA.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • lucillegyl, RosJaq
Brick 
Hey Everyone, you probably remember me (or don't, I am newbie hahaha) from my other posts regarding UMPI. 

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update regarding my request to switch to the BAS program from the BABA MIS & PM that I am in now. 
So, about a month ago I hustled, put the work in and wouldn't you know it... I got 4 coursera IT certificates.

Those were:
1. Google IT Support Professional (12 credits*)
2. Google Data Analytics (12 credits*)
3. IBM Cybersecurity (10 credits*)
4. IBM Data Analytics (12 credits*)

I emailed the school to let them know, while already sending my pierpont trancripts through National Clearing House. A couple days later they emailed me, reporting that I don't have the 40 required credits. 

Honestly, I am not going to argue with UMPI. If they say I don't then I can't change what they think. They also declined my Pierpont transcript delivery email that NCH sent them.

Side note: I don't mind my degree program at all, I actually like it but I am not thrilled. I do think that a BAS suits me better. If anything, this experience gave me the push I needed to finish my degree in one term. And when I do, I will return back to get into the BAS program and actually get the degree I am dreaming about.

So, even though this is not the win I imagined. It is actually a great motivator for me.

Talk to you guys soon!

Demographic Information:
Sex: Male
Employment Area: FT in Information Technology

Education Information:
Degrees Awarded: Pierpont C&TC AAS BOG (MIS Area of Emphasis) 
Current GPA in UMPI: 3.4XX
RA credits completed prior: 41
Alternative credits: 71
Technical Credits: 55 (A combination between Coursera and my RA school.)

*As per MaineStreet transfer equivalencies page.
Basically, #2 and #4 of the IT certs overlap, did they give you different course numbers? If so, you have enough credits, if not, then you've duplicated the work. Easy, they indicated you can transfer if you have enough, simply reply back and ask if you take another 15 credits, would that suffice. If they say, yes, you're in, if they say no, keep the BABA as that's what I recommended previously.

(02-22-2024, 12:19 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, #2 and #4 of the IT certs overlap, did they give you different course numbers? If so, you have enough credits, if not, then you've duplicated the work.  Easy, they indicated you can transfer if you have enough, simply reply back and ask if you take another 15 credits, would that suffice.  If they say, yes, you're in, if they say no, keep the BABA as that's what I recommended previously.

Oh man, I am sitting here wondering how I've haven't thought about this before..... They do overlap right??? My only thing is.. the IBM data analytics, is not a foundation cert. It is a "Data analytics professional cert". Either way, I think you are right about the BABA. My employer agrees with you as well.. the only thing is, I will lose about 6K from tuition assistance because I will be finishing a BA instead of a BS. But then again, I am not certain a BAS would suffice in regards to that policy. Weell, either way I still want to finish my current program as it opens up the opportunity to get a PMP afterwards....
Oh, and in regards to this quoted post of your 'side note'. You can't... Simple policy at UMPI requires the BAS/BLS to be the first degree, you can't have it as the second degree. So, if you're ever going back to UMPI for a second bachelors, you can do a BA or BABA after you get the BAS/BLS.

"Side note: I don't mind my degree program at all, I actually like it but I am not thrilled. I do think that a BAS suits me better. If anything, this experience gave me the push I needed to finish my degree in one term. And when I do, I will return back to get into the BAS program and actually get the degree I am dreaming about."

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI Gen Ed Req colonelcamp 18 565 11 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  How is grading done at umpi? Sarajane 2 285 05-18-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does UMPI accept transcript report from ACEI? lucillegyl 5 540 05-18-2024, 09:30 PM
Last Post: ishady
  UMPI CBE Bachelor program. Sum007@ 7 413 05-18-2024, 05:40 PM
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 7 349 05-18-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: ishady
  UMPI Requesting Resume & HS Transcript SophiaPrincess 13 705 05-17-2024, 10:45 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Help, UMPI Transcript Evaluation Errors SophiaPrincess 5 213 05-17-2024, 01:41 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  UMPI Degree Completion Help SantaMaria 15 1,544 05-14-2024, 05:04 PM
  UMPI application achraf15 6 665 05-11-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: achraf15
  Does UMPI YourPace accept Credly Transcripts? SophiaPrincess 5 321 05-09-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess