Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking about enrolling at SNHU
Hey everyone! So I'm 31 and never went to college. I currently work as a Supervisor in a Customer Service call center. I am thinking about getting my bachelor's in either Computer Science with a concentration on Data Analytics or just doing the Data Analytics program. I was also thinking about first enrolling into a local CC and completing their gen ed program to save on cost. Would this be a feasible plan? Any recommendations or suggestions welcome!
Welcome to the board, G. So, you're a supervisor and looking to get into computer science/data analytics. For SNHU, they accept up to 90 credits from alternative credit providers, you can go for a community college and get RA/graded credits, but there really isn't a need for that. I suggest you complete the bulk of your alternative credits and then apply to SNHU when you've got roughly 90 credits. There's a degree plan on the wiki already for SNHU, you should really fill in the template and addendum from this link, the more details we have in regards to you and what you're looking for, the better: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Is there any particular reason why you've chosen SNHU? If you want Comp Sci, TESU ought to be faster and slightly cheaper. You could add on some data analytics credits as electives and the degree would be worth about as much as a CS w/ Data Analytics @ SNHU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
SNHU Computer Science Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN...egree_Plan

Other computer-related degrees are PUG IT, WGU Computer Science/IT, and TESU Computer Science.

Degree plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ca...gree_Plans
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
I vote for WGU, as you will take far more courses in your major; and you can choose between DA or CS, or do both.

I'd do as much as you can via Sophia and then Study.com first, and then finish at WGU in a single term.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
Why SNHU? Just curious. They will be longer and more expensive than most other options we discuss on here regularly. Few on here have experience with SNHU, too.
I would only go with SNHU if they had a major that wasn't available at the TESU, EC or UMPI.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-28-2022, 09:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would only go with SNHU if they had a major that wasn't available at the TESU, EC or UMPI.

I was going with SNHU because it´s better known than others.

However, a diference of USD$ 5,000 or more, made me change my mind.

But it´s also because it´s a real b&m university, and people here used to be wary of online schools.

After covid, this bad impression waned, and also because TESU doesn´t has an "online" in its name.
[-] The following 2 users Like MrPanda's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
Quote:Senior Financial Data Analyst here - Certs are not what will get your hired specifically but they can help with what employers really want.

Experience creating SQL queries and managing a couple tables for data integrity, cleaning, updating and adding fields.

The second experience set that’s important, but not as important, is having a data massage tool like python, R, SAS, etc. This is really to get your data pull from SQL summarized, rearranged and automated to be put into an excel dash board or excel template for analysis.

So any cert that gives you experience doing that will add value in the getting hired process.

Once you’re hired every employer will want/value different certs and unfortunately there’s no industry standard at all.

Some will want SAS certifications, some a microsoft BI cert, some a pandas cert, some an R cert, etc. All of course from different vendors depending on who you work for.

Personally I’d look into DataCamp. Their certifications and learning processes have been great for me to leverage and create side projects/refresh before interviews.

Google Data Analytics Cert

https://grow.google/certificates

Udacity Data Analyst Nano Degree (What WGU uses for its Data Analyst degree)

https://www.udacity.com/course/data-anal...ree--nd002

Datacamp Courses (Good for learning SQL and lots of other Data Analytic skills)

https://www.datacamp.com/courses-all

I wouldn't worry about getting an exact Data Analytics degree since you will be learning this stuff on your own in the real world. Any IT or Computer Science should work.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az
That's right, it depends on the person and their interests. I would work on 3 things, certs, degree, experience. You need to investigate your priorities and decide which ones meet your goals, you can get some certs in IT/Data and get a general degree. Basically, you can get as many credits towards a degree/cert that you're interested in, and ladder up...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU Masters Degree RoliJoli 3 314 09-11-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SNHU CS Degree plan FullFocus 14 1,337 08-31-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Doner
  SNHU India Degree Plan apple26 7 392 08-31-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Doner
  PierPoint BOG and SNHU Yoloangie40 13 839 08-24-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: keahikmanila@gmail.com
  SNHU BS Data Analytics advice. hlngo123 3 333 07-21-2024, 10:09 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 727 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Seeking Advice on transferring to WGU out of SNHU dlachance1977 5 777 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  BA in Computer Science - SNHU lsantil 11 1,599 11-05-2023, 02:22 PM
Last Post: lsantil
  UMPI, TAMUC, SNHU RationRationalize 9 1,112 10-18-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 2,778 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded