Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking College English Composition next Friday
how many essays do you think that I need to write per day from now on?

I am so nervous now. I made 78% on peterson test. But the essay are driving me crazy. poor me. I guess I have already failed before even taking the test. If I did, I would take it again. Fight! Fight!Fight!
CLEP College Algeba 76
CLEP Marketing 61
CLEP Intro to Macro 72
CLEP Intro to Business Law 57

American Government next
http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ition.html
If you score high enough on the tests, do the essays really matter? Just curious if this was like the Public Speaking DSST where you have to pass both parts to receive credit for the exam?
06-20-2011 DSST Astronomy - 61
06-28-2011 CLEP Humanities - 62
07-07-2011 DSST Principles of Statistics - 427
07-11-2011 DSST Intro to World Religion - 464
07-18-2011 DSST Prin. of Public Speaking - 62
08-04-2011 DSST Environment and Humanity - 62
08-16-2011 CLEP Social Sciences and History - 65

AAS Aviation Maintenance Technology - Community College of the Air Force (August 2011)
AAS Education and Training Management - Community College of the Air Force (October 2014)
BS Workforce Education and Development - Southern Illinois University Carbondale(October 2011)
MA Information Technology Management - Webster University (May 2013)
MA Master of Human Resources Management - Webster University (May 2014)
rhapsodyinblue Wrote:If you score high enough on the tests, do the essays really matter? Just curious if this was like the Public Speaking DSST where you have to pass both parts to receive credit for the exam?
Yes, you need to pass both parts to get a passing score on the exam. However, if your school doesn't require the essay part (most do), you can just take College Composition Modular which doesn't include the essay.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
rhapsodyinblue Wrote:If you score high enough on the tests, do the essays really matter? Just curious if this was like the Public Speaking DSST where you have to pass both parts to receive credit for the exam?

In my school, I have to make 50 out of 80 on the m/c in order to take the essay. On the essay part, I have to make 13 out of 16 to gain 3 credits, or 14 out of 16 to gain 6 credits. So the essay does matter. If I make less than 13 on the essay, I will not get any credits.
CLEP College Algeba 76
CLEP Marketing 61
CLEP Intro to Macro 72

American Government next
I took it last Saturday, and I'm STILL not over the hyperventilating! Writing is my bete noire. My suggestion is to do a quick outline when you see the topic, make simple points, and stick to the outline. (Folks in this forum talk about 5x5 essays. You might want to search the forum.) I was all over the place. My writing was the written equivalent of a two-year old's finger painting. Don't try to impress with really involved thinking. Keep it simple, organized, and coherent. Good luck. I'm not normally an empathic person, but, trust me, I FEEL your pain.
LaterBloomer Wrote:I took it last Saturday, and I'm STILL not over the hyperventilating! Writing is my bete noire. My suggestion is to do a quick outline when you see the topic, make simple points, and stick to the outline. (Folks in this forum talk about 5x5 essays. You might want to search the forum.) I was all over the place. My writing was the written equivalent of a two-year old's finger painting. Don't try to impress with really involved thinking. Keep it simple, organized, and coherent. Good luck. I'm not normally an empathic person, but, trust me, I FEEL your pain.

Thank you for your suggestions. That is very helpful.My essays will be graded by a computer, so I don't think the artificial intelligence can really understand the "involved thinking". hilarious But I maybe underestimate what a computer can actually do. Good luck for both of us. I hope that we both can pass!
CLEP College Algeba 76
CLEP Marketing 61
CLEP Intro to Macro 72

American Government next
lina Wrote:My essays will be graded by a computer, so I don't think the artificial intelligence can really understand the "involved thinking"
How is that? I know the CLEP essays are graded by academic review not by computer. I wouldn't think that a computer could do much more than analyze the form to make sure you're sticking to the "rules" of grammar and good writing style.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Merlin Wrote:How is that? I know the CLEP essays are graded by academic review not by computer. I wouldn't think that a computer could do much more than analyze the form to make sure you're sticking to the "rules" of grammar and good writing style.

I have no idea which really scares me. All I know is that they follow the rules of COMPASS e-Write and I will know my score right after finishing the test.
CLEP College Algeba 76
CLEP Marketing 61
CLEP Intro to Macro 72

American Government next
Here is what I found on their website:

Your essay will be evaluated according to how well you:

* Formulate a clear and focused position on the issue defined in the prompt
* Support that position with reasons and evidence appropriate to the position taken and the concerns of the reader/audience
* Develop the argument in a coherent and logical manner
* Express ideas using clear, effective language
CLEP College Algeba 76
CLEP Marketing 61
CLEP Intro to Macro 72

American Government next
lina Wrote:Here is what I found on their website:

Your essay will be evaluated according to how well you:

* Formulate a clear and focused position on the issue defined in the prompt
* Support that position with reasons and evidence appropriate to the position taken and the concerns of the reader/audience
* Develop the argument in a coherent and logical manner
* Express ideas using clear, effective language
Pretty sure they'll need a human evaluator for those criteria. In the CLEP College Composition exam, it is one of the few tests that do not give you a score immediately, as they have to account for the human reviews. That generally means it takes a few weeks to get your result. The modular version you do get your score immediately, but it doesn't have an essay component.

I'd love to see a sophisticated AI that could properly interpret an essay. I know there are AI driven lexical analysis parsers that can do a pretty good critique of structure and grammar, but I'd be amazed to see one that can actually interpret arguments and understand rhetoric.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,921 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 820 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 201 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,041 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,878 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,431 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 429 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,505 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 500 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 891 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher