Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU BS Technical Studies Engineering AOS
I'm trying to figure out what other TESU provided courses I can take that meet the Engineering section of my degree plan, other than the EGM courses that TESU offers. If anyone has some experience or know of any other courses that I can take as well. This is the last part of my BS and I can't figure out what other courses I can take.

If there are any Study.com or Straighterline courses that work with this that would be amazing.

This is what I have,

Technical Studies (21SH)

F. Engineering
EGM-133 Intro to Hydraulics
MFT-272 Industrial Safety and Design and Maintenance Management 
MRN-151 Ship Checking
MRN-221 Diesel Power I
MRN-203 Marine Environmental Control and Safety
Maybe something from Study.com computer science or advanced mathematics (e.g., discrete)?
(12-09-2023, 02:57 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Maybe something from Study.com computer science or advanced mathematics (e.g., discrete)?

Just checked the equivalency for study and those mathematics courses are LL plus I've already done 95% of those equivalent courses. I looked at discrete but idk if TESU would accept that as an UL course.

CSI classes would be under the second part of the degree, the technical studies 18SH. I've already got that completed. Thank you though.
The Engineering section for that is much harder to find in alternate credit - it was one of the degrees that my son considered. If you have experience or other similar courses, you could try PLA for those 2 courses that you are missing.

The Section E. Computers is easier to fill in using a combination of Study.com and Coursera certification courses or possibly even XAMK + Metropolia courses.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(12-09-2023, 03:37 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: The Engineering section for that is much harder to find in alternate credit - it was one of the degrees that my son considered. If you have experience or other similar courses, you could try PLA for those 2 courses that you are missing.

The Section E. Computers is easier to fill in using a combination of Study.com and Coursera certification courses or possibly even XAMK + Metropolia courses.

Thanks for the reply! What's PLA? I don't think I've heard of that.
PLA is Prior Learning Assessment. It's credit-earning methods used to earn credit for knowledge and skills acquired through work, training and other college-level learning completed outside of a traditional college. Here is a helpful TESU page on it: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/pla
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
@Bryant.tj, Welcome to the board, it's a great first few posts, but the overall picture of your scenario is missing as the addendum and template hasn't been completed yet. If you did the addendum, template, you would have listed all the classes you have taken, your budget, commitments, study habits, etc. With more details, we can recommend the PLA as mentioned or transfer credits through other options. Without knowing what previous classes you have taken, it's hard to know if a PLA would work for you. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-09-2023, 04:16 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: PLA is Prior Learning Assessment. It's credit-earning methods used to earn credit for knowledge and skills acquired through work, training and other college-level learning completed outside of a traditional college. Here is a helpful TESU page on it: https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/pla

I used quite a bit of PLA for my TESU BACS because the courses weren't available at alt credit at that time. You can see the courses I got PLA credir for in my signature. There's a also a link to a thread outlining my and other's experience ith the PLA process.

What I generally tell people is that if you can take an alt credit course to get the credit, that will usually be easier. However, if that's not available, then PLA is not a bad choice, assuming you have relevant experience or training.

You can search this database: https://www2.tesu.edu/plasearch.php to find possible courses to try to get PLA credit for. You would have to take the two PLA courses at TESU, then write portfolios explaining how your experience or training fulfills the learning objectives listed for the courses you choose. The portfolio, contains your proessional resume, a narrative of your relevant experience or training, a PLA resume listing the course learning obectives and how you completed them, evidence and documentation (could be certificates or transcripts, or letters from previous supervisors or teachers, I even used a patent I was named on).

The portfolio is evaluated by a subject matter expert, who may request additional information, and you get a decision about whether you've been granted credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU New Website LevelUP 12 883 10-13-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Credly and Non ACE Certs > TESU credit? mbcummings 9 603 10-12-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 14 1,443 10-10-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: trying2grad
  TESU and DEAC wow 12 626 10-09-2024, 05:45 PM
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 12 1,336 10-06-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 4 585 10-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jch
  New WIki TESU BS Cloud Computing Degree Plan LevelUP 2 254 10-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 264 09-28-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 283 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 752 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM