Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU and DEAC
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the posts.

TESU transfer policy seems to indicate it will take transfer credits from DEAC institutions: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...er-credit/

But an advisor today told me they won't.

I am talking about a situation where I already have 24 Credits from a regionally accredited institution. I thought if I had those, that DEAC would potentially be transferable. (I thought people on this board said that they'd had some DEAC credits transfer.) Can someone clarify the policy for me?

(I haven't taken the classes yet, so don't worry about that.)
DEAC isn't RA. I don't see anything about DEAC specifically listed on the link you shared. There is this:

Thomas Edison State University may accept in direct transfer college-level credits earned at institutions accredited by other accreditation agencies recognized by the US Department of Education that have developed formal articulation agreements with Thomas Edison State University.

The key word there is MAY. There is zero guarantee. The word MAY leaves the doors wide open for them to say no.

Just because you read something on here about transfer credit does not mean that is the policy today or that the institution is transferable today. Things constantly change.

Also keep in mind that many advisors aren't up to speed on all of the transfer policies at TESU. The registrars office will have far more info that is up to date than an advisor. The registrars office is the one who makes the determination on the credits.
(10-04-2024, 02:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote: DEAC isn't RA. I don't see anything about DEAC specifically listed on the link you shared. There is this:

Thomas Edison State University may accept in direct transfer college-level credits earned at institutions accredited by other accreditation agencies recognized by the US Department of Education that have developed formal articulation agreements with Thomas Edison State University.

The key word there is MAY. There is zero guarantee. The word MAY leaves the doors wide open for them to say no.

Just because you read something on here about transfer credit does not mean that is the policy today or that the institution is transferable today. Things constantly change.

Also keep in mind that many advisors aren't up to speed on all of the transfer policies at TESU. The registrars office will have far more info that is up to date than an advisor. The registrars office is the one who makes the determination on the credits.

It may not be your intent, but this feels like a lecture. I know everything you wrote above. That's exactly why I made the post—because the policy on the site is unclear and advisors are sometimes wrong. I am looking to see if anyone has any information to the contrary of what my advisor told me. If they don't? That's fine. I didn't think it would hurt to ask until I saw your answer.

P.S. Where did I say DEAC was RA? Nowhere.
Previously they did not accept DEAC (NA credits), having said that, it really depends on where you're going to get the credits from. Genesis University has courses that are NCCRS, Penn Foster has classes that are ACE, if you go either route, TESU will accept them, this is true for other ACE/NCCRS recommended for credit classes provided by various colleges that are NA... Having said that, you really want to email 3 specific advisors, Chrystal (my backup option), and my two go-to options Don or Patricia, and also the registrar. Which advisor was providing you the info they don't accept DEAC or NA institutions?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-04-2024, 03:37 PM)wow Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 02:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote: DEAC isn't RA. I don't see anything about DEAC specifically listed on the link you shared. There is this:

It may not be your intent, but this feels like a lecture. I know everything you wrote above. That's exactly why I made the post—because the policy on the site is unclear and advisors are sometimes wrong. I am looking to see if anyone has any information to the contrary of what my advisor told me. If they don't? That's fine. I didn't think it would hurt to ask until I saw your answer.

P.S. Where did I say DEAC was RA? Nowhere.

Nothing I said was intended to be a lecture. TESU is notorious for being difficult. 

You stated that you thought because you had RA credits that meant TESU would accept DEAC credits. 

Advisers at TESU are often wrong. There's a long history of that happening on here. Many of TESU's policies are written purposely to be ambiguous so they can change their mind easily.
(10-04-2024, 04:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Previously they did not accept DEAC (NA credits), having said that, it really depends on where you're going to get the credits from.  Genesis University has courses that are NCCRS, Penn Foster has classes that are ACE, if you go either route, TESU will accept them, this is true for other ACE/NCCRS recommended for credit classes provided by various colleges that are NA...  Having said that, you really want to email 3 specific advisors, Chrystal (my backup option), and my two go-to options Don or Patricia, and also the registrar.  Which advisor was providing you the info they don't accept DEAC or NA institutions?

Amy.

I have been sending all my questions to academicadvising@... because that's the address Don gave me. Interesting about the registrar. Do you copy the registrar, or do you email them separately? They won't just tell me to contact academic advising?
(10-04-2024, 02:39 PM)wow Wrote: I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the posts.

TESU transfer policy seems to indicate it will take transfer credits from DEAC institutions: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/current/...er-credit/

Discussed before here:
TESU Wording Newly Friendly to DOED-Recognized Institutionally Accredited Credit
(10-04-2024, 06:57 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 02:39 PM)wow Wrote: I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find the posts.

Discussed before here:
TESU Wording Newly Friendly to DOED-Recognized Institutionally Accredited Credit
Thank you!
[-] The following 1 user Likes wow's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
The registrar is going to be a much more accurate source of information on how a specific credit transfers. Advising is often incorrect. Contact registrar@tesu.edu
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-05-2024, 11:18 AM)jch Wrote: The registrar is going to be a much more accurate source of information on how a specific credit transfers. Advising is often incorrect. Contact registrar@tesu.edu

Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU New Website LevelUP 12 700 10-13-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Credly and Non ACE Certs > TESU credit? mbcummings 9 478 10-12-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Theater Arts/BSBA Entrepreneurship vs UMPI's Accounting or Hist/PoliSci trying2grad 14 1,417 10-10-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: trying2grad
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 12 1,261 10-06-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 4 544 10-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jch
  New WIki TESU BS Cloud Computing Degree Plan LevelUP 2 237 10-03-2024, 08:55 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 235 09-28-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 267 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 658 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
  TESU BA Psych experimental psychology requirement wow 7 366 09-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP