Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TECEP Study Tips For CMP-354 Network Technology
If anyone's taken notes on this exam on their scrap paper, would you mind sharing it? Would like to know the types of questions so far I've compiled the following from this thread: 

1. Multiple questions on IEEE standards. Basically they will ask you what standard is 802.**** If the exam questions are rotating that's a pretty big boring list to draw from.
  2. Make sure you know what layer of the OSI model different devices or operations happen.
  3. What is a vampire tap
  4. What is ad hoc mode
  5. What Zigbee is used for
    - Ans: Zigbee is an IEEE 802.15.4-based specification for a suite of high-level communication protocols used to create personal area networks with small, low-power digital radios, such as for home automation, medical device data collection, and other low-power low-bandwidth needs, designed for small scale projects which need wireless connection. Hence, Zigbee is a low-power, low data rate, and close proximity (i.e., personal area) wireless ad hoc network.
  6. What is base lining?
    - Ans: Values collected for comparison against later performance statistics. 
Completed TESU BA in CS & Math
Target grad school: OMSCS, or UoTA MOCSO. (Contemplating research)

I just took this exam. Even though I'm still waiting for my score, I'm highly confident that I passed.  

First, don't be fooled by the name. Despite being a "Network Technology" exam, almost half of the questions were really more sysadmin/IT/cloud topics. This exam covers a broad range of material, but none of it goes particularly deep. There are three short essay questions at the end that expect a 1-3 paragraph response. To keep things sufficiently vague, my exam contained one prompt related to network security, one related to wireless networking, and one related to cloud computing. I found the prompts reasonable and enough of a stimulus to easily draft an appropriate response. 

I'd recommend using CompTIA A+, Network+, and Cloud Foundations or Cloud+ materials to study. The topics from those certifications are highly relevant to this exam.  The recommended quizlets are somewhat helpful but are outdated and don't cover the full breadth of the exam. 
You'll definitely need to know and be familiar with the main 802.xxxx standards, both wireless and wired. Focus on wireless networking in particular. There wasn't much of anything about the various network layer models, such as OSI. 
I was presently surprised by the general lack of outdated questions. I don't remember seeing anything about grossly obsolete technologies like token ring or coaxial ethernet—no vampire taps.  
To review before the exam, I used Saylor's CS402: Computer Communications and Networks. I do not recommend doing so because of flaws in that course.

I had a classic ProctorFU experience taking the exam. ProctorU expects you to navigate to and open the exam within the tab that they open for you. The problem is, TESU's systems are set to open everything in a new tab. ProctorU's software responds to this by continually forcing you back to the original tab every few seconds. I suffered through most of the exam that way before their tech support set up their alternate system, fixing the issue. 
Also, the function to flag a question for later review does not function in TESU's online exam portal. 
I let TESU know about the above issues.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 3 users Like jch's post:
  • lucillegyl, MNomadic, rachel83az
(05-18-2021, 06:23 PM)jch Wrote: I had a classic ProctorFU experience taking the exam. ProctorU expects you to navigate to and open the exam within the tab that they open for you. The problem is, TESU's systems are set to open everything in a new tab. ProctorU's software responds to this by continually forcing you back to the original tab every few seconds. I suffered through most of the exam that way before their tech support set up their alternate system, fixing the issue. 

I also had this happen when I took Medical Terminology. I just found out that (in Chrome) you can click on a link and drag it to the tab to have it not open in a brand new tab. I don't remember how the testing systems work, exactly, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email...956814e007
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Passed with 91% according to Moodle. This was a surprisingly fast turnaround, given that I took the exam at the end of a term.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 3 users Like jch's post:
  • DanielT1988, MNomadic, rachel83az
With 7 hrs of videos , 90 lessons , and 9 practice test , you would think this would be an adequate resource to prepare for the exam. Especially since it’s titled and written  specifically for the CMP 354 tecep. Although i don’t see any reviews on here depicting that.
I'm currently studying for this one because of the free TECEP offer from TESU. I just noticed that the Sophia course says:

Quote:SOURCE: THIS CONTENT AND SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL HAS BEEN ADAPTED FROM COMPTIA NETWORK+ STUDY GUIDE: EXAM N10-007, 4TH EDITION. SOURCE LAMMLE: COMPTIA NETWORK+ STUDY GUIDE: EXAM N10-007, 4TH EDITION - INSTRUCTOR COMPANION SITE (WILEY.COM)

Based on jch's recommendations above, I'm hoping this will be a good supplemental resource for the TECEP.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
You could try buying this Udemy course that has lots of Network+ questions

https://www.udemy.com/course/comptia-network-008-exams/
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(09-06-2023, 07:04 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You could try buying this Udemy course that has lots of Network+ questions

Currently $16 (Or $12. Or $13). Normally $80.

On the other hand, Professor Messer is free or $120 for the "course success" bundle. Professor Messer is probably a better deal than some random Udemy course.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(09-06-2023, 07:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(09-06-2023, 07:04 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You could try buying this Udemy course that has lots of Network+ questions

Currently $16 (Or $12. Or $13). Normally $80.

On the other hand, Professor Messer is free or $120 for the "course success" bundle. Professor Messer is probably a better deal than some random Udemy course.

ExamCompass is free (Maybe that Udemy course copied those questions)
https://www.examcompass.com/

Other than that Jason Dion is the most popular person used to pass Network+ exams
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az
Never pay anywhere near full price on these Udemy courses! They're almost always on some mega sale; the normal prices are around $10-15. I personally used Dion's courses+exams and found them helpful. 
Professor Messer's YouTube channel is another great and FREE CompTIA resource.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jch's post:
  • rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equivalency for Study.com Chemistry wow 16 599 08-18-2024, 01:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 24 4,529 06-28-2024, 07:35 PM
Question Capstones enrollment related to their area of study AllThose299s 3 508 06-17-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Network Technology Class ACI 3 440 05-14-2024, 08:06 AM
Last Post: ACI
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 1,392 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 590 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 608 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 705 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  CIS-1070 TECEP legenwait4itdary 6 683 02-29-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: RJ77
  TECEP for Enrollment optimisticCoder3 8 872 01-16-2024, 09:59 PM