Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAMUC considering rebranding
(07-18-2024, 02:51 PM)fmsoa Wrote: The sad truth is no matter how they rebrand, it wouldn't make an iota of difference for schools like TAMUC or TAMUCC. They are, and will always be treated like a bastard child when ALMOST all resources are pouring towards the favorite son in College Station.

TAMU has an enrollment of over 70,000 (and not slowing down) while campuses like Commerce and San Antonio have yet to exceed 10,000, while Corpus Christi barely hitting 10K. And they would rather build satellite campuses to College Station on Galveston and McAllen.

TBH the President's goal of wanting to become "a big dog" with national reach - I just don't think it's realistic under "Commerce" or "Dallas." They almost shut down a couple times in the past few decades. They just don't have the funding, the draw, the reach... They have structural and operational problems now (I had went through three different advisors in one seven-week semester because two of them quit.) I know the alumni keep touting their history they don't want erased - but I mean they just don't have the kind of institutional history that captures the imagination of people outside the region. They're a safety school in a system with an actual "Big Dog" that will never allow them to become big enough to draw money away from the flagship. 
It was the fourth fastest growing uni in all of Texas last year. With an enrollment cliff coming in 2025, I kinda think this is as big as this dog is ever getting.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • fmsoa, ltw900rr
(07-18-2024, 05:04 PM)ReyMysterioso Wrote:
(07-18-2024, 02:51 PM)fmsoa Wrote: The sad truth is no matter how they rebrand, it wouldn't make an iota of difference for schools like TAMUC or TAMUCC. They are, and will always be treated like a bastard child when ALMOST all resources are pouring towards the favorite son in College Station.

TAMU has an enrollment of over 70,000 (and not slowing down) while campuses like Commerce and San Antonio have yet to exceed 10,000, while Corpus Christi barely hitting 10K. And they would rather build satellite campuses to College Station on Galveston and McAllen.

TBH the President's goal of wanting to become "a big dog" with national reach - I just don't think it's realistic under "Commerce" or "Dallas." They almost shut down a couple times in the past few decades. They just don't have the funding, the draw, the reach... They have structural and operational problems now (I had went through three different advisors in one seven-week semester because two of them quit.) I know the alumni keep touting their history they don't want erased - but I mean they just don't have the kind of institutional history that captures the imagination of people outside the region. They're a safety school in a system with an actual "Big Dog" that will never allow them to become big enough to draw money away from the flagship. 
It was the fourth fastest growing uni in all of Texas last year. With an enrollment cliff coming in 2025, I kinda think this is as big as this dog is ever getting.

Even the actual program needs updating/upgrading. I am so thankful for the program, but structurally it could be so much better, I can't imagine them scaling the way it was set up.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
[-] The following 1 user Likes mohelena02's post:
  • staceydiane
Mark Haslett (for KETR) Wrote:Members of the university community who spoke at the July forums mostly opposed the name “Texas A&M University-Dallas” or any name including “Dallas.” Objections included the geographic distance to Dallas (roughly 66 miles between downtowns) and the inaccuracy of “Dallas” as a descriptor of a university with a history and culture founded in rural Northeast Texas. […]

Some of those present favored other nomenclatures, such as “East Texas A&M University,” a name many hoped would emerge from the 1996 rebrand. One speaker advocated for revival of the name “East Texas State University.” Options discussed also included “Northeast Texas A&M University” and “Texas A&M University-Northeast.”

July forum attendees mostly oppose ‘Texas A&M University-Dallas’ nomenclature (Mark Haslett, KETR, July 22, 2024)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • ltw900rr, staceydiane
Update from school President Mark Rudin today is no name change (to Dallas anyway)

“ Based on the feedback received, I cannot support the option of changing the name of our university to Texas A&M University-Dallas. I have informed the Board of Regents and Chancellor Sharp that I will not be pursuing a name change of our university to Texas A&M University-Dallas now or in the future.”
[-] The following 2 users Like bradm31's post:
  • jg_nuy, ltw900rr
University of Texas at Dallas is in Richardson, but Richardson borders Dallas. To me, it does not make sense for Texas A&M - Commerce to have Dallas in their name when they're so far from Dallas, and most of their operations are two counties away.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ltw900rr
I wouldn't rule out the Board of Regents doing it anyway. From what Rudin has said, the System is bent on there being a Texas A&M Dallas one way or the other. They call the shots, ultimately.
Update: TAMUC President Mark Rudin is now requesting that the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents consider renaming TAMUC to East Texas A&M University.
Why spend all that money? That's money that could be put into programs. Rebranding costs a fortune. People are going to call it what they do now. I mean look at how many of us still call it EC or Excelsior College. Ask Coca Cola how New Coke worked out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • allvia
I don't think they're wrong to consider rebranding because I believe brand confusion is legitimate thing. It's not helped by the fact that I'm not sure anyone 300 miles outside of Texas knows that Texas A&M is a system with more than one school. But I think they have far bigger problems attracting students than whatever the name on the diploma is. If you build a great school with a great environment and great programs, they will come. But if you go on Reddit, almost nobody is active on the thread and the ones that do complain a lot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReyMysterioso's post:
  • ltw900rr

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 49 8,119 09-26-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Options for Texas Government? TAMUC westex93 9 712 09-20-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: westex93
  TAMUC - Accepted KagomeH 5 628 09-09-2024, 06:40 PM
  TAMUC Bachelors Public Admin - City Planning is approved (CBE) bradm31 1 332 08-05-2024, 07:03 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  New TAMUC Competency-Based Programs? RbxFunRocks 10 1,304 08-05-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: bradm31
  Thanks to everyone here I am now enrolled at TAMUC CCRB 3 411 08-03-2024, 01:43 PM
  TAMUC New CBE Program bradm31 2 438 08-02-2024, 01:30 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  TAMUC General Studies (BGS CBE) bradm31 10 685 08-01-2024, 10:03 AM
  TAMUC ORGL - Complete! fromthedepths 13 3,073 07-29-2024, 06:24 PM
  TAMUC class review ltw900rr 30 7,194 07-29-2024, 06:18 PM