Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sophia.org vs Study.com - English I & II
Someone is asking which provider to take English I and II requirements, they're into just these two providers (they can't take CLEP, DSST, and don't want to go through any other option such as TECEP as they're international).  They don't have a membership with StraighterLine but will be getting one for Sophia and/or Study.com anyways.

I don't know the answer as I took mine at StraighterLine ages ago... I like both Sophia.org and Study.com as alternatives to StraighterLine, my recommendation is to take a look at the number of assignments or touchstones and decide there, I think I will lean towards Sophia.org unless you favor a final exam over assignments/quizzes.  Hmm...

You should review their website for reviews/testimonials, both seem very good compared to StraighterLine
Let's compare:  Sophia.org I = 14 challenges + 5 touchstones, II = 9 challenges + 7 touchstones
Study.com ENG 204: 104 lessons, Final, 5 assignments, ENG 205: 81 lessons, Final, 6 assignments

Edit to Add: For the price, I think Sophia.org is great, Study.com would be an option if you're doing up to 5/month
So... You should also look at the grading time to both and see which one may be faster, not just cheaper or easier
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Vin
I don't recommend Eng Comp from Sophia to anyone. It is a lot of essays. It takes about 2 weeks for each essay to be graded so it is a VERY slow course. You can't submit the next essay until the previous one comes back graded. The grading is HORRIBLE. You lose points for things that on the rubric. You can't it finish in 1 month on Sophia because grading takes forever. Sophia keeps posting notices about grading being behind as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Arto
I need to take English II as well. I'm not great at writing essays. I prefer taking tests. I believe Study.com is mostly or all tests. Does anyone have any feedback on this? I believe StraighterLine has some writing submissions as well.
(10-01-2022, 05:25 PM)Vin Wrote: I need to take English II as well.  I'm not great at writing essays.  I prefer taking tests.  I believe Study.com is mostly or all tests.  Does anyone have any feedback on this?  I believe StraighterLine has some writing submissions as well.

They ALL have writing assignments.

Sophia is going to take at least 2 if not 3 months to complete.  Study.com will let you take all of your quizzes for both courses first, and then submit all of your writing assignments after that, even if it's after your month is complete; so you can do it all in a single month.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Both Sophia English courses take forever for assignments to be graded. However, English Comp. 1 you do not have to wait for each touchstone to be graded before submitting the next one(like English Comp. 2). I myself took English Comp. 1 at Sophia, finished in a couple weeks. With a months subscription you can work on other courses while you're waiting for the touchstones to be graded. If not, you're only out $100 for a 3 credit course, pretty cheap. English Comp. 2 at Sophia, I would avoid. Take English Comp. 2 at Study.com. There are three writing assignments, but quizzes and exam are easy. If you do good enough on the exam, you can get away with only writing one or two assignments and still pass the course. So yeah, Sophia for English Comp.1 and SDC for English Comp. 2.

At SDC wouldn't it be English 104 & 105?
(10-02-2022, 11:06 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: At SDC wouldn't it be English 104 & 105?

Depends on the school. Some will want 104 & 105 and some will want 204 & 205. Some schools don't have 2 comp courses as a requirement but instead had a lit requirement.
(10-02-2022, 11:34 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-02-2022, 11:06 AM)Jwheels27 Wrote: At SDC wouldn't it be English 104 & 105?

Depends on the school. Some will want 104 & 105 and some will want 204 & 205. Some schools don't have 2 comp courses as a requirement but instead had a lit requirement.

I know the Big 3 all require 204/205.  UMPI and WGU will take 104/105.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Arto
Sophia's English Comp I isn't that bad. You can turn in multiple assignments at a time, so waiting on grading isn't much of an issue.

For Sophia Engish Comp II, you can only turn in one assignment at a time, which is why it can take 2 months to complete that single course.

SDC ENG 205 is good practice for Liberal Arts TESU Capstone. I don't know which is easier between SDC and Sophia.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 310 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 762 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,224 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,290 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 302 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 638 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 342 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle