Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second bachelors for my sister?
(08-19-2023, 09:49 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 11:26 PM)IceSparkle Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 11:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why go for a second bachelor's and not an MBA?
She doesn’t have much work experience outside retail/food service. She doesn’t want to get an MBA without some relevant work experience first. Feels like the masters could work against her

Maybe this is a case for a non-MBA master's in management, like UMPI's MAOM, WGU's MSML, or Illinois' MSM (and the latter two can be laddered to that school's MBA).
Professionally do you think getting an MSM or MSML would be viewed differently by employers than an MBA?
(08-19-2023, 01:28 PM)IceSparkle Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 11:16 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Why go for a second bachelor's and not an MBA?
She doesn’t have much work experience outside retail/food service. She doesn’t want to get an MBA without some relevant work experience first. Feels like the masters could work against her

Maybe this is a case for a non-MBA master's in management, like UMPI's MAOM, WGU's MSML, or Illinois' MSM (and the latter two can be laddered to that school's MBA).
Professionally do you think getting an MSM or MSML would be viewed differently by employers than an MBA?

So far as you or she are concerned that an MBA at this stage in her career might be a bit 'much,' I think an MSM, etc. would come across as more modest, more commensurate with someone in the process of moving up from operations to management.
(08-19-2023, 03:07 PM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(08-19-2023, 01:28 PM)IceSparkle Wrote:

So far as you or she are concerned that an MBA at this stage in her career might be a bit 'much,' I think an MSM, etc. would come across as more modest, more commensurate with someone in the process of moving up from operations to management.

Makes sense. We've both come across posts on reddit and other forums confirming as much, an MBA without work experience just seems like a bad career move. Not only are you void of important work experience and practical skills but employers view you as a higher cost hire because you have a "professional" degree. Obviously this isn't across the board, there are exceptions. Just a general observation.
Or…. Instead of getting stuck in a low end job, she can get management jobs off the bat. Tons of people go right from undergrad to graduate school.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vle045's post:
  • ss20ts
If she already has a bachelor degree (in anything) she really should be able to get an entry level traditional 'business' position. What exactly is it that she is looking to do? She likely needs to update her resume to focus on the business skills side of the industries she has been working in. Retail customer service/sales/money handling often transitions well into the something like a bank teller (for example, everyone has to start somewhere). I'm not convinced that a new bachelor in business will give the ROI that a revised resume/CV couldn't already provide - especially in the current job market.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 3 users Like allvia's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ss20ts, Vle045
(08-20-2023, 08:52 AM)allvia Wrote: If she already has a bachelor degree (in anything) she really should be able to get an entry level traditional 'business' position. What exactly is it that she is looking to do? She likely needs to update her resume to focus on the business skills side of the industries she has been working in. Retail customer service/sales/money handling often transitions well into the something like a bank teller (for example, everyone has to start somewhere). I'm not convinced that a new bachelor in business will give the ROI that a revised resume/CV couldn't already provide - especially in the current job market.
Yeah maybe I’ll help her fix up her resume, focusing less on education and more on experience/skills. I appreciate the advice! If she’s still having trouble maybe suggest the masters route.
[-] The following 2 users Like IceSparkle's post:
  • allvia, Jonathan Whatley
(08-20-2023, 09:17 AM)IceSparkle Wrote:
(08-20-2023, 08:52 AM)allvia Wrote: If she already has a bachelor degree (in anything) she really should be able to get an entry level traditional 'business' position. What exactly is it that she is looking to do? She likely needs to update her resume to focus on the business skills side of the industries she has been working in. Retail customer service/sales/money handling often transitions well into the something like a bank teller (for example, everyone has to start somewhere). I'm not convinced that a new bachelor in business will give the ROI that a revised resume/CV couldn't already provide - especially in the current job market.
Yeah maybe I’ll help her fix up her resume, focusing less on education and more on experience/skills. I appreciate the advice! If she’s still having trouble maybe suggest the masters route.

Good plan. If she already has a Bachelors, there’s not much to be gained with a second. And I say this as someone who planned to get a second bachelors. Instead, I did some free and cheap business courses on Sophia, Saylor, And 100 Million Learners, to name just a few. That helped me to feel more prepared to work slowly towards my MBA. 

https://learn.saylor.org/?utm_source=nb&...redirect=0

https://thunderbird.asu.edu/lifelong-lea...n-learners

https://www.sophia.org/
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
Here's a question: why did she major in Psych? Does she have an interest in working in the field of Psychology? Maybe counseling or social work or something like that? Because if so, she's much better off heading in that direction now, while she's still basically a broke college student than later when she's married with 2 kids.

If she got it because she thought she wanted to work in Psych, then decided she did not, I don't think getting a 2nd bachelor's will help as much as getting a better job. Work experience will be much more valuable than another degree. So I agree that working on her resume and then going out job hunting will get her more bang for her buck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-20-2023, 03:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Here's a question: why did she major in Psych? Does she have an interest in working in the field of Psychology?  Maybe counseling or social work or something like that?  Because if so, she's much better off heading in that direction now, while she's still basically a broke college student than later when she's married with 2 kids.

If she got it because she thought she wanted to work in Psych, then decided she did not, I don't think getting a 2nd bachelor's will help as much as getting a better job.  Work experience will be much more valuable than another degree.  So I agree that working on her resume and then going out job hunting will get her more bang for her buck.

She originally got it thinking she'd become a therapist, changed her mind after the fact. She's going to work toward getting some experience and then pursue a masters down the road.

I'll be honest, I'm just a sucker as well for more degrees. I just do it for the fun of it. I would do the MBA though. Afterwards, I'd come back and keep doing more.
Thomas Edison State University
2026: Doctor of Bus. Adm
Universidad Isabel I
2023: M.B.A.
2023: Master in Business/Corporate Comm
William Patterson University
2024: M.Ed - Educational Leadership
UMPI:
2024: M.A.O.L.
2024: BABA - PM/IM
2023: B.A. - History & Political Science
2023: B.L.S. - Management
2023: A.A. - Liberal Studies
Rowan College of South Jersey:
2022: A.A. A.S. - Sociology
2023: A.A. A.S. - History
2023: A.A. A.S. - Philosophy
2023: A.A. A.S. - Psychology

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 75 12,680 08-12-2024, 03:39 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 632 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 1,142 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Looking for cheap Dual Enrollment credit for homeschooled sister muu9 4 868 11-16-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Computing & IT - UK Bachelors Equivalent - £905.00 bjcheung77 15 4,179 05-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  East Central (OK) Accepts 90 credits transfer for Bachelors bjcheung77 2 883 04-05-2022, 12:46 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How can I speed up my bachelors? arcangel27 29 2,997 03-15-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: arcangel27
  Most common majors (Bachelors) bjcheung77 14 1,916 01-31-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  EdX Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate degree expansion bjcheung77 3 1,259 01-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Free Bachelors Degrees for Union Member letterchaser202 32 4,580 11-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: wow