Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saylor in the Alternative Credit Project
So - I can barely wrap my brain around the cool options opened up via ACE's Alternative Credit Project. I thought it would be helpful to share the courses offered through Saylor. You'll notice the course numbers in the Saylor catalog are assigned ACP QUALIFYING COURSE numbers, which is how it appears on your ACE transcript. For those that don't remember, these courses were not ACE evaluated before, they were only NCCRS accredited- making transfer harder for some students.

Saylor courses cost $0 and you only pay $25 proctor fee through Proctor U when you are ready. When you pass the final, you put the class on your ACE transript. ACE now guarantes transfer into specific colleges that are on record saying they will accept these courses. TESC and COSC are on the list, Excelsior is not. I don't know if EC accepts these or not, if you're a student, check first.

So, just for emphasis, each of these 3 credit courses costs TWENTY-FIVE dollars TOTAL. That's 8 bucks a credit. :willynilly:

BIO101: Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology (ACPE-0023)
BUS101: Introduction to Business (ACPE-0107)
BUS103: Introduction to Financial Accounting (ACPE-0113)
BUS203: Principles of Marketing (ACPE-0127)
BUS205: Business Law and Ethics (ACPE-0099)
BUS208: Principles of Management (ACPE-0123)
BUS210: Corporate Communication (ACPE-0006)
CHEM101: General Chemistry I (ACPE-0034)
MA001: College Algebra (ACPE-0016)
MA005: Calculus I (ACPE-0015)
MA121: Introduction to Statistics (ACPE-0017)
PHYS101: Introduction to Mechanics (ACPE-0008)
PHYS102: Introduction to Electromagnetism (ACPE-0007)
POLSC221: Introduction to Comparative Politics (ACPE-0071)

EDIT: oops, here's the link http://www.saylor.org/alternative-credit-project/
The Statistics course from the Saylor is the same exact course offered through Straighterline because Straighterline uses Saylor Academy materials. Wow! So Saylor is only $25 and I paid $120 to take the same course through Straighterline. I wish I would've known sooner- Saylor is definitely a cheaper option.
Wow, this is amazing and good to know!
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
I can't figure out how to get a completed course added to my ACE transcript via Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem. If it is transcripted via SL/Saylor it won't show up as an ACPE-00** course.
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Mamasaphire Wrote:I can't figure out how to get a completed course added to my ACE transcript via Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem. If it is transcripted via SL/Saylor it won't show up as an ACPE-00** course.

you should email Saylor (or whoever you used) to be sure you're completing a course with the right prefix. I talked with Saylor today - they have different prefixes for their courses vs what will appear on your ACE transcript. There are 14 classes on the Saylor ACP list, you can take classes OFF LIST (I don't know if there are others that are also eligible for credit through NCCRS or ACE) but since this is new, you should probably just get clarification to be sure.
I wish that all the Art History courses would get approved. Many would be upper level......sigh
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
ACE says: "This organization does not participate in online registration. This organization submits student and course data to ACE. Please contact the organization and request that your course data be submitted."

I contacted SL. The chat CS had me send a SL ticket with the request, so I'll be interested to see how it progresses.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I don't know if they are fully set up under the ecosystem yet -- I tried to submit a SL course for approval Wednesday using the ecosystem option and got the same message, so I just added it through the regular StraighterLine ACE option and it worked fine, was on my transcript the next morning.
Yes, I can add SL under SL too. Strange.

I am just wondering if colleges participating in the ACP will want to see courses with an ACPE designation vs a SL designation.

I contacted SL and "Nick" informed me that they have no direct correlation with ACP. I sent him several links from the SL website showing that they have some sort of connection.
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"Once you have an [ACE] account, request your transcript and search for your course under the organization title “Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem” to request a transcript for your ACPE course(s). Requesting the ACPE course designation will help guarantee that your course will be accepted by the participating institution.

[question] I have taken a course with one of the providers previously; can I transfer in that course to one of these institutions?
[Answer] If a course from the ecosystem was taken after April 1, 2015 and prior to March 31, 2018, it will be accepted for transfer credit, as stated by the participating institutions."
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 172,853 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 246 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,926 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 1,983 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  Google Project Management Cert? GoBroncos95 11 885 07-06-2024, 11:24 PM
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 728 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,258 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,911 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 431 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 1,059 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM