Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970
Franklin University and Miles CPA prep are advertising an introductory deal for their “CPA Pathway” that includes 30 hours of credits from Franklin University (RA and IACBE accredited) and the Miles CPA course for $2,970: https://www.milescpareview.com/

Miles is not very common in the US, but claims to be the biggest CPA prep course provider in India. Their CPA course by itself costs around $1,200. 

The program requires completion of at least 90 credits and intermediate accounting, but recommends completion of basically an accounting bachelor’s prior to entry. Looks like there are recoded classes with optional live courses available. 

The page says the courses cannot be used for a degree at Franklin University. Would be interesting to see how they might be received at TESU, UMPI, or elsewhere.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
If the courses cannot be used for a degree at Franklin, then how are they worth 30 RA credits anywhere?

Have they updated their course to reflect the changes made to the Uniform CPA Examination this year?
It's a good program for those who want a CPA based credential and also need the 30 credits for the CPA exam requirement... Having said that, for an extra grand and a degree, the WGU MS Accounting might be a better option instead. Franklin University: https://www.franklin.edu/franklinworks-m...credential

Can I apply any credits I earn though the microcredential courses toward a degree at Franklin University?
No. The courses in this microcredential cannot be substituted for or utilized in any degree program at Franklin University.

Update: Oops, actually, for an extra two grand for the WGU MS Accounting program, not one.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-28-2024, 01:40 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's a good program for those who want a CPA based credential and also need the 30 credits for the CPA exam requirement... Having said that, for an extra grand and a degree, the WGU MS Accounting might be a better option instead.  Franklin University: https://www.franklin.edu/franklinworks-m...credential

Can I apply any credits I earn though the microcredential courses toward a degree at Franklin University?
No. The courses in this microcredential cannot be substituted for or utilized in any degree program at Franklin University.

Update: Oops, actually, for an extra two grand for the WGU MS Accounting program, not one.

Will the credits be accepted though? I know in my state, they require RA credits on a specific list of courses and are getting even stricter in 2027. 

Why can't the credits be used at Franklin? That seems like a red flag.
(05-28-2024, 02:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Will the credits be accepted though? I know in my state, they require RA credits on a specific list of courses and are getting even stricter in 2027. 

The answer is money. If they accepted them towards their degrees, this would undercut their regular undergrad tuition. Whether other schools will choose to distinguish them from "real" credits is anyone's guess.

I'm sure that Miles CPA has negotiated and verified which state boards will accept the credits. Of course, it would be wise to verify acceptance by your own state.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-28-2024, 03:13 PM)davewill Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 02:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Will the credits be accepted though? I know in my state, they require RA credits on a specific list of courses and are getting even stricter in 2027. 

The answer is money. If they accepted them towards their degrees, this would undercut their regular undergrad tuition. Whether other schools will choose to distinguish them from "real" credits is anyone's guess.

I'm sure that Miles CPA has negotiated and verified which state boards will accept the credits. Of course, it would be wise to verify acceptance by your own state.

Yeah. It's the same thing with the program they have at the University of North Alabama. They basically offer two parallel accounting curricula: one for their accounting majors, and the other for outsiders looking to get enough accounting credits to sit for the CPA exam. The CPA program credits, which they say are legit credits that will be transcripted by UNA, will not satisfy degree requirements for a degree in accounting at UNA. Basically, they don't want their CPA program (which is cheap) poaching their own students.

Unfortunately, at least one big state -- New York -- has explicitly said they won't accept UNA's CPA program credits as accounting credits, though they will accept them as general business electives. Whether we can extrapolate from that and say New York (and maybe others) won't accept these accounting credits from Franklin, either, is hard to say. It seems a big issue for New York is that all of the materials used in the UNA courses are published by CPA review courses (Wiley, maybe). They claim UNA's program is basically just an exam review course, then. Would they see this program Franklin has set up similarly, and only count these as 30 business elective credits? 

Would definitely try and get something in writing from one's state board saying the program will be accepted as accounting credits before going through it, though even then there's no guarantee. They would tell you one thing in an email, and then do another later. Would be rough to be the guinea pig for this only to find out you ended up with a bunch of business electives (or worse, nothing).
[-] The following 2 users Like inor's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, Pikachu
(05-28-2024, 12:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If the courses cannot be used for a degree at Franklin, then how are they worth 30 RA credits anywhere?

Have they updated their course to reflect the changes made to the Uniform CPA Examination this year?

From what I could tell, the 30 credits are to reach the 150 credit requirement needed for the CPA exam.  So, essentially, a bachelors (120) plus these credits.  It would be interesting to see if they transfer elsewhere.  Although they might not be appealing to folks outside of accounting.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 4 1,534 07-23-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 1,785 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  Real? OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance David1477 1 328 06-20-2024, 01:53 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,060 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 2,954 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 2,663 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 396 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 983 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 867 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 662 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy