Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU new gen ed requirements
(08-17-2023, 05:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You can always take the courses at SNHU (or elsewhere) and transfer them to TESU. TESU allows for essentially "any" math as long as you meet minimum UL/LL requirements. There are also a handful of math specific requirements, including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics.
No those required courses have to be graded and have to count towards your GPA
(08-18-2023, 03:12 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
(08-17-2023, 05:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You can always take the courses at SNHU (or elsewhere) and transfer them to TESU. TESU allows for essentially "any" math as long as you meet minimum UL/LL requirements. There are also a handful of math specific requirements, including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Statistics.

What Master's degree is this? Graded, I can see. GPA thing is a bit weird. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-17-2023, 10:15 AM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 10:37 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: How long do you think that will take, because I wanted to start Sophia courses in October and apply to SNHU in December with minimum 30+ credits.

I'm scared of wasting my time earning credits that won't transfer and ending up taking 15 courses at SNHU

I wanted to do only 10 courses at SNHU  Sad

If SNHU become less transfer friendly, college might be off the table for me.

Before you mention TESU, UMPI or another school, I need minimum a bachelor in mathematics and these courses (graded) to get into grad school:
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis 1 and 2
Complex Analysis

TESU only have Linear Algebra in that list

At least SNHU have Applied Linear Algebra (I'm required to have a proof based one but this won't hurts), Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis 1, that's 3 out of 5, which is not bad.

For the SNHU Math degree plan, there are 3 open spots for Math Electives. You could take Calculus 2 (MAT251) at Straighterline for one of those spots, which probably won't fill the Calculus 2 requirement in the major since it comes in as a different course number. So you still would have to take Calculus 2 again at SNHU.

Statistics.com offers a course called Regression Analysis that comes into SNHU as MAT303, which would fill a MATH elective spot.

It's a matter of how many courses will transfer into the GE to know how many total courses you would have to do at SNHU.  I would do the GE first, transfer them in and see which everything falls.
Why won't General Calculus II at Straighterline won't transfer as Calc 2 at SNHU?

Although not listed in the experience page at SNHU, https://www.snhu.edu/admission/transferr...ighterLine,

Straighterline claims that it can transfer as calc 2:

Calculus II: Integration & Series - MAT-275
General Calculus II - MAT251

(08-17-2023, 11:53 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-16-2023, 10:37 PM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Before you mention TESU, UMPI or another school, I need minimum a bachelor in mathematics and these courses (graded) to get into grad school:
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Real Analysis 1 and 2
Complex Analysis

At least SNHU have Applied Linear Algebra (I'm required to have a proof based one but this won't hurts), Abstract Algebra and Real Analysis 1, that's 3 out of 5, which is not bad.

So where are you going to find the other 2 courses for that particular grad school?  And which grad school is it?  Is there another grad school you can go to?  Why that one?

It might be helpful if you tell us your ultimate goal so we can help you find an option that you haven't thought of.
Sorry, I didn't write that post correctly.

Those aren't minimum required courses, there are suggested prerequisites.

I quote the university of Toronto (https://www.mathematics.utoronto.ca/grad...ccordion-1):

Quote:We recognize that our students come from many different places and with a significant range of differing backgrounds. Hence there is no fixed and rigid list of prerequisites, and applicants are considered and often admitted even if their formal previous mathematical education is very different from the informal list of prerequisites provided. In general, we’d like to see some sort of overall mathematical maturity and experience, and we appreciate (though we do not require) evidence of in-depth concentration in one mathematical discipline or another.
Yet this [Image: application-pdf.png]List of Suggested Prerequisites provides a non-binding list of courses that are recommended to applicants from within the University of Toronto in order to be seriously considered for the doctoral stream and terminal stream master’s programs. Students coming from other institutions will have to make the appropriate substitutions.
Also, it's not like I have 100% "ultimate" goals

I'm interested in analytic philosophy and pure mathematics right now but if  learn (self study) a lot of math courses and don't like it I'll switch to CS.

University of Toronto is my 1st choice right now but what I'll learn later or what can happen later can change that choice.

What I have are hypothesis, experience can prove wrong those hypothesis.

So those hypothesis are:
I want to graduate with a bachelor of mathematics in(or under) 1.5 years. If I don't like it, I can switch to CS or another major.
I want to get into university of Toronto or another Canadian grad school for a master in mathematics or CS or another major.

I'm actually interested in learning, I'm not just there to check a box.
(08-18-2023, 03:24 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 03:12 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:

What Master's degree is this? Graded, I can see. GPA thing is a bit weird. I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing.
It's a Math Master.

What I meant by counting towards your GPA was It has to be graded at your institution (I'm not sure. I don't have evidence) because transfered courses are pass fail. Big Grin 

Sorry for the confusion
(08-18-2023, 04:39 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: What I meant by counting towards your GPA was It has to be graded at your institution (I'm not sure. I don't have evidence) because transfered courses are pass fail. Big Grin 

Sorry for the confusion

What? No. At least at TESU, transferred courses are only pass/fail if they were pass/fail at the original institution. I have multiple ASU and Strayer courses on my TESU transcript - all with letter grades.

The ONLY reason why a TESU transcript would show pass/fail for transferred courses would be because it's from a school (such as WGU) that only grades in pass/fail or the course is from an alternate source - Study.com, Sophia, etc. (Or the course is a TECEP, which is ony pass/fail.) If you transfer graded courses from SNHU, APUS, etc. to TESU, they will be graded on your transcript.

For probably 99.9% of Master's programs in the USA, this is no problem at all. They will calculate their own whole-program GPA, if needed, rather than relying on just the GPA TESU gives.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(08-18-2023, 04:47 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 04:39 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: What I meant by counting towards your GPA was It has to be graded at your institution (I'm not sure. I don't have evidence) because transfered courses are pass fail. Big Grin 

Sorry for the confusion

What? No. At least at TESU, transferred courses are only pass/fail if they were pass/fail at the original institution. I have multiple ASU and Strayer courses on my TESU transcript - all with letter grades.

The ONLY reason why a TESU transcript would show pass/fail for transferred courses would be because it's from a school (such as WGU) that only grades in pass/fail or the course is from an alternate source - Study.com, Sophia, etc. (Or the course is a TECEP, which is ony pass/fail.) If you transfer graded courses from SNHU, APUS, etc. to TESU, they will be graded on your transcript.

For probably 99.9% of Master's programs in the USA, this is no problem at all. They will calculate their own whole-program GPA, if needed, rather than relying on just the GPA TESU gives.
Wow you just dropped a revelation.

I have one millions questions.

So let's say I took 5 classes at SNHU or UMPI, transfer them to TESU, will those courses count towards my GPA?
Will those courses show the percentage on the transcript?
Can I take courses at UMPI in the yourpace program, transfer them to SNHU and have them graded on my transcript at SNHU?
Can it affects my GPA at SNHU?

Quote:For probably 99.9% of Master's programs in the USA, this is no problem at all. They will calculate their own whole-program GPA, if needed, rather than relying on just the GPA TESU gives.
How would they do that?

Is an A+ = a 97% to 100% in every university in the US?
(08-18-2023, 05:55 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Wow you just dropped a revelation.

I have one millions questions.

So let's say I took 5 classes at SNHU or UMPI, transfer them to TESU, will those courses count towards my GPA?
Yes, they will count toward your whole-program GPA. They will not count toward your institutional GPA. Most grad programs don't care about institutional GPA at all if you have transfer credit.

(08-18-2023, 05:55 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Will those courses show the percentage on the transcript?
They'll show grades, if that's what you mean.

(08-18-2023, 05:55 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Can I take courses at UMPI in the yourpace program, transfer them to SNHU and have them graded on my transcript at SNHU?
Yes, they'll show as graded at SNHU and almost anywhere else (WGU would be an exception; again, they're just pass/fail).

(08-18-2023, 05:55 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Can it affects my GPA at SNHU?
Only SNHU classes affect your SNHU GPA. Only TESU classes affect your TESU GPA. But the transfer classes always affect your whole-program GPA. Whole-program includes both institutional and transfer credits.
(08-18-2023, 05:55 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote:
Quote:For probably 99.9% of Master's programs in the USA, this is no problem at all. They will calculate their own whole-program GPA, if needed, rather than relying on just the GPA TESU gives.
How would they do that?

Is an A+ = a 97% to 100% in every university in the US?

They will ask for all of your transcripts and calculate based on that. They don't just base everything off of your final degree transcript. On each official transcript is a key that shows what each grade "means" in a standardized fashion, because not every school equates certain percentages to specific letter grades. The admissions people for graduate programs know how to read these keys and to calculate whole-program GPA based on what each one says.

Some grad schools even ask for Sophia/SDC transcripts with percentages and calculate those classes into your GPA, even though most undergrad programs count them only as pass/fail classes.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(08-18-2023, 05:55 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: So let's say I took 5 classes at SNHU or UMPI, transfer them to TESU, will those courses count towards my GPA?

Will those courses show the percentage on the transcript?

I can't speak for SNHU GPA, but for TESU:
1. Courses that transfer into TESU don't affect your GPA.
2. Courses transferred in are listed on the transcript but don't show a GPA.

The GPA is calculated by only the courses you take at TESU.

(08-18-2023, 03:28 AM)ausernameisneeded Wrote: Why won't General Calculus II at Straighterline won't transfer as Calc 2 at SNHU?

Although not listed in the experience page at SNHU, https://www.snhu.edu/admission/transferr...ighterLine,

Straighterline claims that it can transfer as calc 2:

Calculus II: Integration & Series - MAT-275
General Calculus II - MAT251

If a course's number is different I wouldn't assume a course will transfer in. I would suggest asking SNHU advising if the course will transfer.

Given how incompetent SNHU advisors have been lately, asking SNHU advisors versus asking a Magic 8 Ball may yield the same results.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
GPA's don't transfer - a school may look at your GPA for various reasons though - but they generally won't transfer your GPA (although they may list the grades on your transcript, they normally calculate a GPA based ONLY on the courses taken at that school).

When you apply to grad school, they should calculate an internal GPA - that is, they will ask for a transcript from each school you went to (and each school will have it's own GPA).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
> I want to graduate with a bachelor of mathematics in(or under) 1.5 years.

haven't read the entire thread, but 1.5 years is going to be tough if you really want the recommended courses
they all have prerequisites

Calculus 3 is usually required before Real Analysis
and of course that means Calculus 2 and Calculus 1

Quote:https://www.mathematics.utoronto.ca/site...ites_0.pdf

... list of courses that are recommended to ... in order to be seriously considered for the terminal master’s program :

* Linear Algebra, e.g. MAT 224
* Groups and Symmetries, e.g. MAT 301
* Complex Variables, e.g. MAT 334
* Real Analysis, e.g. MAT 337

State University of New York
Empire State University has all those
https://catalog.esc.edu/undergraduate/courses/math/
MATH 3010 Linear Algebra (4 Credits)
MATH 4010 Abstract Algebra I: Group Theory (4 Credits)
MATH 4025 Complex Variables (4 Credits)
MATH 4030 Real Analysis (4 Credits)

all offered online
https://explore.suny.edu/courses
enter
"Empire State University" for the school
"Mathematics" for the subject area
"Upper Level Undergraduate" for the level

you could search that site for even more courses
pretty expensive if you're not a New York resident though

there's also
https://westcottcourses.com/math-courses/
* Calculus l (4-year transferable)
* Calculus ll (4-year transferable)
* Calculus lll (4-year transferable)
* Discrete Structures (4-year transferable)
* Linear Algebra (4-year transferable)
* Methods of Proof (4-year transferable)
* Abstract Algebra (4-year transferable)

which is self study, proctored exam, credits MUST be through UMass Global
https://westcottcourses.com/transferring-credits/

there's also American Public University System
https://www.apu.apus.edu/course-schedule...tDirection=

* MATH418 Topology
* MATH305 Real Analysis
* MATH220 Linear Algebra

and other courses

as for Southern New Hampshire University
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-.../VJnjmVIKe

one of these is required for the math degree
* MAT415 - Abstract Algebra (3)
* MAT470 - Real Analysis (3)
you can do the other as an math major elective

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU India & International Affiliates asthewindblows 26 1,564 09-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SNHU Culmination Experience- Sophia PHL-316 not accepted ecomony 12 1,119 07-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: ab10365
  SNHU CS Degree plan Dheerajsyz 7 656 07-22-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International Student in SNHU FullFocus 13 1,323 07-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU IDS-105 requirement sole13 5 565 07-10-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: sole13
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 2,519 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 2,621 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,836 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 3,483 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,856 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore