Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retaking a class
So I took a Pascal computer class that I failed due to life and maturity issues...15+ years ago. Now that I want want to go back and attempt to correct that "F", the class is no longer offered because the language appears to have just faded away from the curriculum.

My guess is that I would need to take a similar class for a better grade but not sure.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I emailed the counseling office but they want me to walk in, sign-in, wait for a counselor. Something I was hoping to avoid.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"]Pixal00p[/SIZE]
--------
Excelsior College - BS in Business, General Business - May 2012
Cal State Fullerton - MS in Software Engineering - Application submitted.
[/SIZE]
Fortran is still available as a language. Certainly not viable like it used to be.

Any language really, it could be C, C++, Java.

It really depends on what you want to do on which one you might focus on.
PASCAL was designed to teach students programming, not for use as a real programming language. Until the government got hold of it and made Ada, the first programming language designed by government committee... lol

Java is the current language of business. Also C# from the .NET side. They are very similar languages from a syntax stance, actually. Either one may be a decent intro course.

Personally though I wish they did still teach PASCAL. I think it's a good tool for learning the concepts. Failing that I think they should teach programming using something simple like Python. It's too easy to get lost in all the classpath garbage with Java, and get totally confused about which library to use, or dealing with inheritance (and multiple inheritance in C++, :ackSmile. Instead you need to just learn "this is how a function works" and "this is how you structure a program", and I think using the bigger languages can cause a lot more confusion than necessary. Not to mention you also have to absorb what object orientation really means to truly be able to understand those languages (Java/C#/C++).

Just my thoughts though. In reality you are probably stuck with either Java or C# at the school, so just pick one and go with it.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
So you are looking to take the class for grade replacement as opposed to learning the language? To up your GPA?
I know VB and have aced the class. I know C# but would need to take the class if they went that route. I basically want to remove the "F" to increase my GPA.

I'll do Java if I had to. It has more relevancy at work.

P.S. I would retake the Pascal class if it was offered.
--------
[/SIZE]
Is this a course that you are transferring to EC? If so, they will not accept it, and it will not count against your GPA. Check out the Student Policy Handbook for more details. I think this also means that you would not have to retake it, if you want to take something else instead.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Is this a course that you are transferring to EC? If so, they will not accept it, and it will not count against your GPA. Check out the Student Policy Handbook for more details. I think this also means that you would not have to retake it, if you want to take something else instead.

Nap, I think you are very correct!

I was looking at my study plan and came to that realization.

So my motive to increase my GPA is to get accepted to grad school. It's not fiercely competitive but my educational goal is to complete a graduate program offered (see sig). However, a requirement they look into is the GPA of your last 60 credits. Which is open to interpretation. What 60 credits do they really count? The last 60 credits completed? The last 60 credits completed for the bachelors? Interesting stuff. hilarious
--------
[/SIZE]
That makes sense. I'm not sure how grad programs count the credits either.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
I believe it's the last 60 for the degree (as in not your core classes). Most likely, because those are the parts that are "important" to them for your degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,980 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 1,157 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Mobile phone use in class bjcheung77 0 363 08-04-2023, 10:23 AM
  NYU professor fired... Organic chem class too hard! bjcheung77 12 1,317 10-12-2022, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  What is/was your most hated class and how have you dealt with it? rachel83az 8 1,061 08-29-2022, 01:53 AM
Last Post: splirow
  STC Free class gams007 8 1,311 07-30-2022, 05:45 PM
Last Post: creationstory
Shocked Utah’s Westminster College Offers " " Class Where Students Will ‘Watch " " Films ... LevelUP 8 1,469 04-22-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 2,089 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Organic Chemistry class indigoshuffle 3 1,404 03-15-2021, 12:52 AM
  Cheap & Quick GPA Accrediated Insutition for 1 Class ashkir 1 955 10-06-2020, 03:57 AM
Last Post: rachel83az