Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah’s Westminster College Offers " " Class Where Students Will ‘Watch " " Films ...
Shocked 
Utah’s Westminster College Offers ‘Censored’ Class Where Students Will ‘Watch Censored Films Together'
https://www.foxnews.com/us/utah-westmins...s-together

I think this course is in the AOS of the underwater basket weaving degree.

Some funny comments
1. Our tax dollars "hard at work".
2. Get off my back, Mom - I'm just doing homework!
3. The nice thing about this class is that they will let you withdraw right up until you are almost finished….

Let's try to keep the comments as clean as possible.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
once saw Blazing Saddles on tv and they had the fart sounds in the fart scene silenced
stupid
This is why they're watching the "movies":
to discuss the sexualization of race, class, and gender and as an experimental, radical art form

They'll probably also pee their pants laughing as those types of "movies" are so goofy. The storylines and plots are horrible. They're so bad that they're hilarious.
Film 300 is Special Topics in Film, so... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Film 300O seems about right.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (117/120)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540) - 2023
Coursera: 24 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics) 2022-2023
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus) 2020-2022
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government) - 2022
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits - 2021
Sophia.org: 46 Credits - 2020
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits - 2020
B&M College: 105.34 Credits - 2010
I just don't think it's THAT controversial for a college to do this. But this is Utah. Who knows?

Back in the mid-80's, here in Canada, I was going to Community College - evening classes. This was pre-Internet. I took six or seven psych courses and one of them had quite a bit of graphic sexual material. During the course, we saw a couple of XXX films - and yes, there was (psych) learning to be had from the films and particularly, interviews with the actors. We also saw films of various sexual activities happening in labs and clinical settings - closeups, etc. as necessary for learning. Some of the topics we covered were very new then - and further studies have increased the sexual knowledge base remarkably. That has done a lot of good.

I will admit, that was an evening class and students were generally quite a bit older than usual college age. I was around 43. One or two students expressed their dislike for the films on moral / religious grounds, but nobody quit the class or sued the College. Nothing ever appeared in the press.

In today's America, I think there could be a lot of politics-and-religion-fueled pushback about this. I hope Westminster College is prepared.
[-] The following 3 users Like Johann's post:
  • carrythenothing, jsd, MNomadic
Westminster is a private college, so I guess they can offer whatever they and their accreditor consider valid collegiate work.

And in the context of film studies, this strikes me as a valid topic — despite that places like Fox will sensationalize it to rile up conservatives.
[-] The following 2 users Like Courcelles's post:
  • Johann, jsd
(04-22-2022, 09:34 AM)Courcelles Wrote: Westminster is a private college, so I guess they can offer whatever they and their accreditor consider valid collegiate work.

And in the context of film studies, this strikes me as a valid topic — despite that places like Fox will sensationalize it to rile up conservatives.

Well-said. I'm sure that's the intention - and exactly what's happening with this!  Idea
(04-22-2022, 09:34 AM)Courcelles Wrote: Westminster is a private college, so I guess they can offer whatever they and their accreditor consider valid collegiate work.

Looks like you were right.

Well shortly after the story broke, it become political lol.
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/4/21/2...dace-owens
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
It's a multibillion-dollar industry that has an effect on sexual behavior trends and cultural norms. It would be foolish not to study it academically.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Johann, jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,159 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 534 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,205 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,562 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,954 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 245 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 410 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 742 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 303 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie