Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Affordable Online Data Science and Programming Degrees from IIT Madras (India)
I was searching affordable computer science related courses that is delivered online. I want to learn linear algebra, discrete math, programming while having an exam to prove I have that knowledge. This is more of a personal learning process, but it also makes up my future applying to master plan. These courses will prepare me the knowledge required and a transcript for the courses might help with the application as well. US community college is ridiculously expensive for international students. Then, I search for Indian institutions as India is known as a country that is skilled in computer science related industry.

Here comes the IIT Madras. Academics - IIT Madras Degree Program 

IIT Madras offers an innovative and affordable online degree program in Data Science and Programming, ideal for international students seeking flexibility and a comprehensive education. The program is structured across four levels: Foundation, Diploma (in Programming and Data Science), BSc Degree, and BS Degree. Each level builds upon the previous one, with rigorous coursework, projects, and regular assessments to ensure a thorough understanding of the subjects.

[Image: Programme_Structure.jpg]

Program Structure:

1. Foundation Level:
   - Credits: 32 credits (8 courses)
   - Cost: ₹32,000 (~$380 USD for 32 credits)
   - Courses: Mathematics for Data Science I & II, Statistics for Data Science I & II, Computational Thinking, Programming in Python, English I & II.
   - Purpose: Provides a solid foundation in mathematics, statistics, programming, and English to prepare students for the Diploma level.

2. Diploma Level. There is a separate website for this diploma if you plan to pursue this directly - Academics - IIT Madras Diploma Program
   - Credits: 27 credits per diploma (6 courses + 2 projects)
   - Cost: ₹62,500 (~$750 USD) per diploma
   - Diploma in Programming Courses: Database Management Systems, Programming, Data Structures and Algorithms using Python, Modern Application Development I & II, System Commands, Programming Concepts using Java.
   - Diploma in Data Science Courses: Machine Learning Foundations, Business Data Management, Machine Learning Techniques, Machine Learning Practice, Business Analytics, Tools in Data Science.
   - Projects: Integrated projects to provide hands-on experience.

3. BSc Degree Level:
   - Credits: 28 credits
   - Cost: ₹64,000 - ₹70,000 (~$760 - $840 USD) for BSc with a total of 28 credits
   - Requirement: Completion of Foundation and Diploma levels.
   - Outcome: BSc Degree in Programming and Data Science from IIT Madras.

4. BS Degree Level:
   - Credits: 28 credits
   - Cost: ₹94,000 - ₹1,24,000 (~$1124 - $1483 USD) for BS with a total of 28 credits
   - Requirement: Completion of 114 credits from the previous levels.
   - Outcome: BS Degree in Data Science and Applications from IIT Madras.

Key Features:

- Flexibility: The program is highly flexible, allowing students to pay only for the courses they register for each term. This is particularly beneficial for international students who can balance their studies with other commitments.
- Online and Proctored Exams: Courses are delivered online, and international students can take proctored exams remotely, though additional fees apply for this convenience.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: The program includes foundational courses, advanced diplomas, and degree-level courses, ensuring a thorough understanding of both programming and data science. This ensures students are well-prepared for the industry or further academic pursuits.
- Affordability: Compared to similar programs globally, the cost is significantly lower, making it accessible to a wider audience. This is a great advantage for students who are looking for high-quality education at a reasonable price.
- Recognized Certification: Graduates receive certificates, diplomas, or degrees from IIT Madras, a prestigious institution known for its high academic standards. This adds substantial value to their qualifications and can significantly enhance their career prospects.

[Image: course_structure_web.png]

Pros of the Program:

1. Cost-Effective: The program is affordable, with a clear fee structure that allows students to manage their expenses term by term. The total cost is significantly lower than similar programs offered by other institutions, especially in the western countries.
2. High Flexibility: Students have the flexibility to choose their pace of study. They can take up to four courses per term and have the option to spread their coursework over several years, depending on their personal and professional commitments.
3. Comprehensive and Intensive: The program is designed to be rigorous and comprehensive, covering all essential areas of data science and programming. It includes weekly assignments, monthly quizzes, and end-term exams to ensure consistent learning and retention of knowledge.
4. Global Accessibility: International students can benefit from the online delivery of courses and the option to take proctored exams remotely. This makes it easier for students from different parts of the world to enroll and complete the program without having to relocate.
5. Reputed Certification: Earning a degree or diploma from IIT Madras, one of India's top engineering institutions, is highly prestigious. It enhances the credibility and recognition of the qualifications, providing a competitive edge in the global job market.
6. Project-Based Learning: The inclusion of projects in the diploma courses ensures that students gain practical experience and can apply theoretical knowledge to real-world problems. This hands-on approach is crucial for developing the skills required in the industry.
7. Multiple Exit Points: The program offers multiple exit points, allowing students to receive a certificate, diploma, or degree based on the credits they have earned. This flexibility can be particularly useful for students who may need to pause their studies due to personal or professional reasons.

Sidenote: After some research in the Indian subreddits, this program is known for its difficulty. A lot of work and thorough understanding of the topic is required.  
Finished: University of Derby - Computing & IT Bsc Hons

In progress: OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership

Planning: MBA Top-up
[-] The following 1 user Likes OtterDen's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
It looks like these Bachelor of Science degrees are non-honours bachelor's, which represent about three years of full-time equivalent undergraduate study. An Indian non-honours bachelor's is often insufficient for admission to master's programs in India, the US, and other countries. I believe foreign credential evaluators generally deem them not equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree. Unless I'm missing something this program does not offer a pathway to an Honours (four year FTE) bachelor's from IIT Madras.
I contacted enrolled students of this program on LinkedIn a while ago and it's incredibly hard in their opinion. Only worth it for Indians who desire that IIT tag. For everyone else US unis offer better options.

Another negative is that it is obvious this is an online degree to employers - they don't have a "BS in Data Science and Applications" on campus.
(06-21-2024, 01:08 PM)Pikachu Wrote: I contacted enrolled students of this program on LinkedIn a while ago and it's incredibly hard in their opinion. Only worth it for Indians who desire that IIT tag. For everyone else US unis offer better options.

Thanks for the insight. If this program is that hard, it may not be worth it for most of us to do it then, given that it is not carrying the same weight in other countries as it is in India.
Finished: University of Derby - Computing & IT Bsc Hons

In progress: OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership

Planning: MBA Top-up

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 2 403 4 hours ago
Last Post: ceedfabricator
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 9 1,366 09-11-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: wow
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 94 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 303 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,698 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,663 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,988 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  CBE program for data analysis or data science? FreeAgnes 3 394 08-22-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 6,854 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 534 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson