Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Graduate Students
My favorite website these days is Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL), which has handy guides to both APA and MLA style. Different disciplines use different styles, so don't worry about learning MLA or Chicago if your grad field uses APA!

The amount of time required by graduate study really depends on the requirements of the specific class. My program is a professional master's which includes a lot of group work on real-world projects with actual clients. In theory you can expect to need 2-4 hours per credit per week to devote to classwork; some weeks are light and others have me chained to the laptop with a Skype headset welded onto my ears for hours.

Grad classes require a higher level of critical thinking than undergrad classes do. If you're familiar with Bloom's cognitive taxonomy, undergraduate study is knowledge and comprehension with some application. Graduate study focuses on application, analysis, synthesis, and evaluation.

Preparing for an ECE or upper-level DSST is not comparable to taking a graduate-level class. The exams require knowledge and comprehension (albeit a ton of it), with a slight bit of application. However, the skills you learn by studying on your own for exams are very useful for grad school! As you prep for the tough exams, you develop into a self-directed learner accustomed to seeking out resources and answers on your own. From what I hear from professors, that puts you well ahead of the average traditional-age undergrad! You might even find that knowledge learned for an exam is great background info for some of your grad work. Things I learned for the organizational behavior, supervision, and foundations of education DSSTs have cropped up in my grad classes; I've used bits of Civil War history and English literature for creating analogies to business situations.

As for work load and family obligations, it depends on the demands of the class, the demands of your job, and the needs of your family. I've been taking two project-intensive core classes per semester since I started the program. I had been working 30 hours a week, but realized that I couldn't do both and thankfully had the luxury to choose school instead of work. Most of the students in my program are taking one course per semester, or take a core class plus a less intense elective, so they can continue working. On the other hand, there's my partner in the program with whom I've worked since the first semester. He works full time, has a family, is a military reservist, and still takes two classes a semester (core + elective). You have to be very disciplined to do that!

The best thing to do is consult with your advisor or the program director so you better understand the time requirements of your overall program and your course plan. When in doubt, start with just one class and keep track of your time use and stress level.

Try to make friends with at least one classmate! Online programs put you at a disadvantage because you can't meet up at the Starbucks after class to discuss today's new theories. In my first semester, I worked with two classmates on a project, and we continued meeting and chatting on Yahoo Messenger and Skype after the project ended. We've since assimilated two more classmates into our chat group. We're not all taking the same classes anymore, but we're all speaking the same "language". It's comforting. At end-of-semester crunch time, we'll get onto Messenger and keep each other company while working on papers. It's like a study party without the shared pizza.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]
BSLS Excelsior College, conferred 9-09
started MS in Instructional Design program, Spring 2010

April 4 2009 through July 6 2009: 1 GRE subject exam + 1 Penn Foster credit + 11 DANTES exams = 61 credits. Average per-credit cost = $23.44.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." (Maria Robinson)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
cookderosa Wrote:Also, you can buy APA software that works with your Microsoft Word or whatever program you use. It essentially keeps you're paper compliant and helps with citing and formatting. It's on my Christmas list. Smile

You know the name of the APA program you plan on buying? Do you know any good program for Chicago style writing? I might be able to download them for free. :reddevil:
AMU wants its papers in Chicago style. I read my syllabus for my first class "Graduate Seminar in American History" and I don't like It. But here I go getting ready to go knee deep in it.:confused:
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
clep101 Wrote:AMU wants its papers in Chicago style. I read my syllabus for my first class "Graduate Seminar in American History" and I don't like It. But here I go getting ready to go knee deep in it.:confused:

In word 2007 under the references tab look for the 3rd box citations & bibliograpy. Under style choose chicago. when you need to cite click insert citation, a box opens for you to fill all info. once done close and it adds the citation to your text. Once paper complete insert page, go to references tab citations & bibliograpy, click on bibliography (just under style) and click bibliography or works cited. It will auto enter all referenced citations.

Also, I use endnotes professionally and I've heard excellent feedback om styleease from tesc grad students.

Styles get updated every few years so I always keep a copy of the current reference book handy or check online at purdue OWL The Purdue OWL: Chicago Manual 16th Edition

Have fun!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I use Style-ease and it works well with Word. It isn't very expensive either.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more
I use Zotero to make grabbing reference info easy.
APA citations are really easy once you get the hang of it. Its a game and I rule at games!

My business ethics class is 10 papers, each one is taking me 8 hours. 1 hour to read the material and take notes max. Then I start the paper which takes about 2-3 hours to draft out. Then I come back and make sure the references are all intact and the structure is readable for about 2 hrs or so.
Then I submit it to smarthinking and update it with their comments (1hr max).
After that I sit on it overnight, make final edits and upload. This is how my 5-7 page paper went.

I am 3 hours into my 7 page paper.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
burbuja0512 Wrote:I think that while all of my CLEPping has made for an enjoyable, faster pace to graduation, it's made me very afraid of citing. Hmm... do they offer citation classes?

You'll love this. The local Strayer University here where I test had a 1 hour seminar they were giving on APA. I was there... of course... taking a CLEP test or two, or three Smile... I'm thinking 'huh what is that APA thing'?

Then I took the information literacy online at Excelsior and a light bulb went off. Now ready to start my capstone, I'm thinking I should have gone to that seminar. LOL

Anyway Burbuja, check with your local strayer and see if they are doing one of the free seminars. You didnt have to be a student AFAIK.
bkahuna Wrote:You'll love this. The local Strayer University here where I test had a 1 hour seminar they were giving on APA. I was there... of course... taking a CLEP test or two, or three Smile... I'm thinking 'huh what is that APA thing'?

Then I took the information literacy online at Excelsior and a light bulb went off. Now ready to start my capstone, I'm thinking I should have gone to that seminar. LOL

Anyway Burbuja, check with your local strayer and see if they are doing one of the free seminars. You didnt have to be a student AFAIK.

Lol.. I hate that everyone in my class seems to be so used to APA citing and I'm still struggling. Luckily with the info I've gotten here and the practice in the Capstone, I should have it down by the time I'm in graduate school.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fun Viral TikTok Question Riddles LevelUP 18 1,709 05-10-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Down Perpetual Students burbuja0512 36 6,242 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 780 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  How should I structure my CV as a UMPI Graduate? atmoex 8 1,252 02-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: tsgreer
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,344 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,376 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 671 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 2,311 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 792 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,253 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger