Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Procedure for signing up for a DSST test
I don't know why these various testing locations are saying that the account needs to be created on their system. That is totally incorrect! One of the perks of creating an account is the ease in using that same log-in no matter what test center you go to. Very useful if you are on a business trip or visiting family not local to you, or maybe you moved. There is absolutely no reason to create the account in any particular place. The TEST must be taken in their location. I wonder if these centers are also the ones who tell the testing candidates they must make a new account every time they come in (I have heard of some of these). Where are these TCOs and proctors getting this information?
JTP Wrote:Well the process wasn't quite as smooth as I had hoped, but that could be related to my testing center. I took the test on an Air Force Base and 99% of the students they serve are active duty military and have a different process I guess. Anyway the lady seemed upset that I created my account before I came and said it wouldn't work and I had to do it there at the computer within the secure network browser. I tried to use my old account but she stopped me and informed me that she does this as her full time job and she knows how it works. Which I'm easy going, so I created another account, but didn't know COSC's DSST code so I had to wait till she finished setting all of the other students up, 14 of them, and then walked to the front of the room and grabbed a binder and brought it to my desk and told me to look it up. After that it was smooth sailing.

Still happy with my experience, I passed Fundamentals of Cybersecurity and saved $10 because there was a promo code listed on the DSST website.Smile

Wow...So sorry you had such a :ack: experience testing. To the best of my knowledge, the woman at the testing center was indeed wrong - you most definitely can create your account at home before you test! I took my DSSTs at a major university and my proctor was practically doing cartwheels when I told her I'd already created an account - she kept telling me she wished everyone would do so, as it would make her life a whole lot easier...

On a positive note, so glad you successfully passed your exam - in the end, that's what counts!:hurray:
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:I don't know why these various testing locations are saying that the account needs to be created on their system. That is totally incorrect! One of the perks of creating an account is the ease in using that same log-in no matter what test center you go to. Very useful if you are on a business trip or visiting family not local to you, or maybe you moved. There is absolutely no reason to create the account in any particular place. The TEST must be taken in their location. I wonder if these centers are also the ones who tell the testing candidates they must make a new account every time they come in (I have heard of some of these). Where are these TCOs and proctors getting this information?

I don't know that the proctor would want one created every time, but one that was created within the secure browser. Not sure where they are getting the information, but I could tell rather quickly that it wasn't worth arguing about.
Andy

---------------------------------

TESC - BSBA: CIS

Current Degree Plan
Complete:  TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics
Remaining:  Waiting for credits to process

SuZQ2 Wrote:On a positive note, so glad you successfully passed your exam - in the end, that's what counts!:hurray:

My thoughts exactly! I'll be back in another couple weeks to take a CLEP so I'll give them another shot and see if there is any difference with set up once I get there for the exam (Other than the main differences in signing up for CLEPs).
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
If you create a new account each time you test that raises the final headcount. Organizations sometimes use these types of tricks to fudge the numbers for reporting purposes. For example, there is a difference between 10 students taking 10 tests each vs 100 students taking 1 test each. From the outside it looks as if the program is a huge success given how many candidates are testing so the need is warranted(budget/funding, employees/space).

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Ok folks thank you for all the replies. I did the business ethics test today and scored a 451. A pass is a pass I guess. So what happens next, does it automatically transfer to excelsior or do I have to request a transcript. If it automatically does it how long does it take for them to process the exam over to Excelsior? thanks again for answering my questions
Well if you had their school id code listed as the place to send the results when you registered it will be automatically sent. I would assume the biggest factor will be how long it takes the school to process it an post it.

After passing my exam it was within one business week that the results showed up in my degree audit, but that was at COSC which is much smaller school.
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 213 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 457 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Test score rogeryoung 4 474 04-24-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: rogeryoung
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 424 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 762 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 7,029 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,057 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  SANS FOR500 Test and college credit vetvso 5 1,287 10-30-2022, 07:11 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Inside the Vast National Experiment in Test-Optional College Admissions LevelUP 2 1,070 04-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Last Post: bluebooger