Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Online Electrical Engineering Degree
In contrast to Computer Science, Electrical Engineering usually requires in campus study. This may be due to the fact that electrical engineering focus on hardware and requires physical labs to teach the materials, such as building a circuit.

Recently, there have been more fully online Electrical Engineering Bachelors programs that is accredited by ABET. Here is a list I found online from Reddit:

• Old Dominion University - Computer Engineering

• University of Arizona - Electrical and Computer Engineering

• University of North Dakota - Electrical Engineering

• Stony Brook University - Electrical Engineering

• Arizona State University - Electrical Engineering

• Florida International University - Computer Engineering

• Mississippi State University - Electrical Engineering

• Clemson University - Electrical Engineering

• Lamar University - Electrical Engineering

• Embry–Riddle Aeronautical University - Engineering

• Indiana Tech - Electrical or Computer Engineering
A few years ago, ASU (Arizona State Universitywas the only institution offering fully online ABET accredited BSEE. There were others that were partly online, but would require you to visit occasionally for weeks at a time.

Source:
  1. Online Bachelor Degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering : r/ECE (reddit.com)

Something to keep in mind: Although it sounds close, Electrical Engineering Technology is a significantly different degree than Electrical Engineering.

Use this link to find out: https://amspub.abet.org/aps/name-search?...eOnly=true

This link will lead to a search page on the ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) website. This specific URL is configured to search for accredited online programs in Electrical Engineering. ABET is a nonprofit, non-governmental organization that accredits post-secondary education programs in applied and natural science, computing, engineering, and engineering technology.

Using this link, you can find detailed information about accredited fully online electrical engineering programs. The search results would typically include information such as the name of the institution, the specific degree program, and its accreditation status, which ensures that the program meets certain quality standards important for future employment and licensing qualifications in engineering fields.
Finished: University of Derby - Computing & IT Bsc Hons

In progress: OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership

Planning: MBA Top-up
[-] The following 3 users Like OtterDen's post:
  • aleksa, LevelUP, NotJoeBiden
For those looking exclusively for ABET Online and not specifically for Engineering, they've got Computing, IT, Engineering Technology as well. Here's the online search: https://amspub.abet.org/aps/online-search
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • NotJoeBiden, OtterDen
I wish there will be more offerings not only from US universities, but also overseas other than the US. I have not found any online international (non-US) electrical engineering degree yet.

Just going to throw my two cents in here.

My first round at university was about 10 years ago for Electrical Engineering from a brick & mortar (University of Cincinnati/Miami University). Didn't stick with it due to work/life time conflicts.

Even so, I've made my career in electro-mechanical automation & controls engineering over the past decade, primarily in the manufacturing industries (automotive, e-commerce, & material handling systems). I did receive a vocational certificate in engineering technologies & robotics to get me started. Still, most of the information needed for my jobs has come from reading technical manuals, experimentation, and seeing enough other devices fail to understand the root cause of common problems.

I fully agree that a bachelor's in a related field will open many more doors (I've been turned down for jobs I'm overqualified for simply because I didn't have the checkbox marked, hence my BSCS). But importantly, it's been a rewarding and lucrative career.

Electrical Engineering degrees are more theoretical and are better suited for research/development/design work of electrical systems, electronics, and RF communications. A heavy focus on HOW these these things work.

Electrical Engineering Technologies is more based on hands-on technologies related to electrical engineering. Microcontrollers, circuit building, maintenance, repair, and the practical hands-on skills of working on and with electrical systems. There is a heavy focus on WORKING with these things. Although you still get the core theory, there is more emphasis on the practical knowledge of the systems.

An ABET accredited - ENGINEERING degree will be needed if you need a Professional Engineer (PE) license to work in some capacities (aerospace design, electrical power distribution design, etc.), but otherwise you can still have a very interesting career with an Engineering Technologiy degree (or even with less).

I say this not to deter anyone from pursuing an Electrical Engineering degree, but instead that there is an enormous demand for competent electrical / controls engineers across the manufacturing industry as long as you have the skills to perform the work.
Completed
BS Computer Science - UoPeople 2024
AS Computer Science - UoPeople 2023

Current
MBA - Hellenic American University
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nukeme3's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(07-09-2024, 03:53 AM)OtterDen Wrote: I wish there will be more offerings not only from US universities, but also overseas other than the US. I have not found any online international (non-US) electrical engineering degree yet.

what ? is google working for you.

Teesside offers a HNC/D to a B Tech in EE 

https://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_cou...nline).cfm

If you finished a HNC/HND with Teesside, you could do a top up degree from Portsmouth in Electronic Systems Engineering

https://www.port.ac.uk/study/courses/und...ing-top-up

University of Southern Queensland has an EE degree

https://www.open.edu.au/degrees/bachelor...sq-hee-deg

Open Uni UK has an EE degree

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/engineeri...eering-q65

IIT Madras has a degree in Electronic Systems

https://study.iitm.ac.in/es/

UniSA most likely would have something but their site is loading too slowly for me right now.
(07-09-2024, 08:36 AM)Nukeme3 Wrote: Electrical Engineering degrees are more theoretical and are better suited for research/development/design work of electrical systems, electronics, and RF communications. A heavy focus on HOW these these things work.

Electrical Engineering Technologies is more based on hands-on technologies related to electrical engineering. Microcontrollers, circuit building, maintenance, repair, and the practical hands-on skills of working on and with electrical systems. There is a heavy focus on WORKING with these things. Although you still get the core theory, there is more emphasis on the practical knowledge of the systems.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't know the difference between the two previously.

For PCB and electronics design, I suppose Electrical Engineering Technologies should be a better fit then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 458 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,551 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 435 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,810 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,982 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,231 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 7,460 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 614 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,486 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 395 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger