Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No longer need to take so many TECEPs— does that open up easier route?
Hi all,

I'm the guy that posted February of last year that my wife and I found out we were going to have a baby and I wanted to try to complete my degree before the birth. You all had some extremely helpful recommendations for my degree plan and I made some good progress. In March of last year, I got promoted at my job and had to focus more on that (a good problem to have) without finishing. We had a beautiful girl in October and I spent some time just being a dad.

I've been plodding along again since January and finally set up a call with a TESU adviser to check that my plan would still work. Coming late to the party here, but I had planned on taking a lot of TECEPs which no longer will fulfill my residency requirement. Instead I get to give TESU $2,500. In the attachment, red is still remaining (advising has approved everything remaining). Does anyone know of easier alternatives I ought to sub in for any of these TECEPs?

tl;dr Since I'm no longer required to take a bunch of TECEPs, is there something better/easier I should drop them in favor of? Plan attached, red courses are left to do.

Thank you!
Matt

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">TESUDegreePlan.pdf (Size: 72.19 KB / Downloads: 1)
[-] The following 1 user Likes thornoak's post:
  • Zippadeedoodah
thornoak Wrote:Hi all,

I'm the guy that posted February of last year that my wife and I found out we were going to have a baby and I wanted to try to complete my degree before the birth. You all had some extremely helpful recommendations for my degree plan and I made some good progress. In March of last year, I got promoted at my job and had to focus more on that (a good problem to have) without finishing. We had a beautiful girl in October and I spent some time just being a dad.

I've been plodding along again since January and finally set up a call with a TESU adviser to check that my plan would still work. Coming late to the party here, but I had planned on taking a lot of TECEPs which no longer will fulfill my residency requirement. Instead I get to give TESU $2,500. In the attachment, red is still remaining (advising has approved everything remaining). Does anyone know of easier alternatives I ought to sub in for any of these TECEPs?

tl;dr Since I'm no longer required to take a bunch of TECEPs, is there something better/easier I should drop them in favor of? Plan attached, red courses are left to do.

Thank you!
Matt

You could switch over to Study.com for the TECEPS. That would change your 2500 residency waiver fee to 1800 huge savings right there. I don't think Penn Foster Strategic Management works anymore you will need to take the TECEP (If they will somehow still let you in) or you need to take the 1500 course. I'm sure study.com can fulfill a lot of the stuff you have in RED. Study.com is $200 per month and you get 2 tests with that so 6 credits. You can add on extra exams for $70 and that actually drives the cost down if you have the time to get more done.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Did you already transfer the PF Strategic Management course into the degree? If not, then you can't use it there. It would go down into an elective.

Yes, you can replace all of the TECEPs with other courses/exams. I would sign up for Study.com, and then your capstone course goes down to $1089 instead of $1497, the cornerstone course is waived, and your residency waiver is $1800 instead of $2500.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Quick clarification I ought to have made: the three Penn & Foster courses are in progress and I've been approved to receive credit for each (including Strategic Management as my capstone) because I'd cleared the courses with advising before they stopped giving credit.
thornoak Wrote:Quick clarification I ought to have made: the three Penn & Foster courses are in progress and I've been approved to receive credit for each (including Strategic Management as my capstone) because I'd cleared the courses with advising before they stopped giving credit.

I would double-check on that, as they stopped letting people bring that in a LONG time ago.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:I would double-check on that, as they stopped letting people bring that in a LONG time ago.

I was able to confirm it with certainty, thankfully. It was part of long email exchange last month with advising that culminated with an appeal to the dean, who heard me out and approved the course. The exception is marked in my transcript. It hinged on the fact that I'd gotten approval by email in early 2016, so unfortunately this doesn't create a precedent for other students who want to use the course.

I'm not familiar with using Study.com, so I'll begin researching it. Thank you Synicaal and dfrecore!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Open Course Degree ROYISAGIRL 16 3,607 08-11-2018, 01:36 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  TESU ASBA Open course option Mab81 3 1,598 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Straighterline, Saylor, Study.com, CLEP - which are easier, quicker? (for TESU) sharkysmom 12 4,205 04-24-2017, 09:21 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESC No Longer accepting CSU-Global for Strategic Management Capstone cypster 23 3,338 04-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Last Post: jsd
  The Shortest Route to an accredited Bachelor's Degree = BS in Liberal Arts Life Long Learning 10 1,827 09-05-2016, 07:35 PM
  TESU No longer accepting external Strategic Management capstone courses... jblackhawk 93 8,473 06-04-2016, 09:19 PM
  Microbiology w lab bit longer transferable? Ep2016 4 963 05-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Ep2016
  TESU academic evals - how open are they to "appeals?" jsd 12 1,691 02-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Last Post: PaintTheSunset
  Open book exam options for TESC? CM1999 2 966 01-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  New Open Course Option at TESC cookderosa 14 1,498 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM
Last Post: sanantone