Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Open Course Option at TESC
I only just discovered this today! (not sure when it started??) The chart/table doesn't copy well, visit the link to see the included courses.
Open Course Option for ASBA

Open Course Option for ASBA

The Open Course Option is a new degree pathway that allows students to complete the majority of an Associate in Science in Business Administration degree by taking free, open, online courses from the Saylor Academy that are aligned with the College's prior learning assessment program.

The Option enables students to take open courses at no cost and then apply what they learned in those open courses by successfully completing a portfolio assessment or the College's credit-by-exam program, TECEPÂ. Some credits can also be earned by passing a College-Level Exam Program (CLEP) exam. Still others can be earned through Saylor's National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) and American Council on Education (ACE) Credit exams, which have been evaluated and recommended for college credit. Students using the Open Course option will also complete the College's new online prior learning assessment courses, PLA-100 and PLA-200, as well as some General Education requirements through traditional courses.

The Open Course Option is primarily self-paced, so students can complete courses and assessments on their own schedule, independent from monthly semesters and deadlines.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, this might be a great option for me.
$3247 for enrollment? Is that what everyone is paying for tesc??
That came out a while ago, with the Saylor stuff. It's in a nice format, so you can see course equivalencies. The only problem (for people on this forum) is it doesn't show the CLEP/DSST/SL options. Once you add those in, and make sure you take 4 TECEP's to meet residency requirements, you are golden.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
inkleind Wrote:$3247 for enrollment? Is that what everyone is paying for tesc??

No, most of us are meeting the residency requirements with TECEP's instead (4 TECEP's for an AA/AS, 8 TECEP's for a BA/BS). That's $888, and gets you 12/24 credits at the same time (and lots of UL ones at that). It's quite a deal!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Ah ok, that makes more sense. I was a bit flabbergasted for a moment there.
inkleind Wrote:Ah ok, that makes more sense. I was a bit flabbergasted for a moment there.

Right, so before the new tuition structure, people here DID pay that annual enrollment fee (that was my fee when I earned my degree). So, you can find TECEP options on your right side of the chart, but TESC doesn't spell out that there are other tuition options besides the enrollment option. (it's not lying.....but it's not transparent)

In this scenario, CLEP is MORE expensive because 1) it doesn't hit your residency requirement at TESC and 2) $80/$100 vs the Saylor cost of $25
dfrecore Wrote:That came out a while ago, with the Saylor stuff. It's in a nice format, so you can see course equivalencies. The only problem (for people on this forum) is it doesn't show the CLEP/DSST/SL options. Once you add those in, and make sure you take 4 TECEP's to meet residency requirements, you are golden.

Yeah, I believe Sanantone mentioned this last year when she was still heavily active. She is also not a huge fan if I remember correctly.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I just meant that there are some classes on there that can be met other than Saylor or TECEP, but it's not on there: the Oral Communication requirement (Public Speaking DSST), the Info Lit Requirement (Analyzing & Interpreting Lit CLEP or World Religion DSST), etc. If someone was JUST going by that list, they might feel like they had to take the remaining courses at TESC.

Also, I think (but am not sure) that the enrollment fee was less expensive a few years ago, before the per-credit tuition plan came along? So it was a little more doable than the current price. At least for anyone who would have to pay that out of pocket.
dfrecore Wrote:I just meant that there are some classes on there that can be met other than Saylor or TECEP, but it's not on there: the Oral Communication requirement (Public Speaking DSST), the Info Lit Requirement (Analyzing & Interpreting Lit CLEP or World Religion DSST), etc. If someone was JUST going by that list, they might feel like they had to take the remaining courses at TESC.

Also, I think (but am not sure) that the enrollment fee was less expensive a few years ago, before the per-credit tuition plan came along? So it was a little more doable than the current price. At least for anyone who would have to pay that out of pocket.

?? I can't keep up with TESC's math.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Open Course Degree ROYISAGIRL 16 3,607 08-11-2018, 01:36 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 6,374 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU ASBA Open course option Mab81 3 1,598 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Psych electives for TESC Psych degree KatePsychology 4 1,613 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Help with Academic Eval TESC jayboy 8 2,397 02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Excelsior 117 Transfer Bachelor Option harrypotter 2 1,639 01-11-2018, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Newbie looking for a roadmap for TESC associate degree in computer science nevsage 6 4,263 01-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ajs1976 TESC BSBA accountability thread ajs1976 41 11,478 01-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UExcel Business Information Systems TESC Equivalency laughter 4 1,948 11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  What Masters programs are a good fit to transfer to from TESC? Doctor H 9 2,971 09-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Last Post: sanantone